Steve McClaren

Dave

Starting to reevaluate what we need. Currently its a decent wide player for me. I think if they can't shift numbers then we won't get new players in. So close and yet so far.

CB and a wide player for me, can't really skimp out on either position they are both absolutely vital for different reasons.

There's other positions as well but we can probably get away with those.

All well and good we got a decent striker in, in Mitrovic, but he wount be pulling the strings himself. With the service from last year close in recollection, he'll be lucky if he can put 5 past someones goalie in total. That said, Obertan is the best bet on opposite wing of Aarons. Gouffran can't cross. Marveux is still weak. I'd put in a big shift for Shaqiri or someone close to the calibre, that both can finish and set up.

We might actually see a Colo - Mbemba pairing, should be interesting enough.

All well and good we got a decent striker in, in Mitrovic, but he wount be pulling the strings himself. With the service from last year close in recollection, he'll be lucky if he can put 5 past someones goalie in total. That said, Obertan is the best bet on opposite wing of Aarons. Gouffran can't cross. Marveux is still weak. I'd put in a big shift for Shaqiri or someone close to the calibre, that both can finish and set up.

He's really, REALLY not.

Cabella isn't fit, Perez doesn't really cross and Sissoko only runs - no winger. He crosses the odd ball, but wanna do mostly himself. We need him more central I think, although it doesn't seem McClaren agrees with me.

Cabella isn't fit, Perez doesn't really cross and Sissoko only runs - no winger. He crosses the odd ball, but wanna do mostly himself. We need him more central I think, although it doesn't seem McClaren agrees with me.

Sissoko will be right side against Southampton if he isn't sold before that..

:yao:

Another good development: -

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-bring-back-players-9737512

Newcastle United bring back the players committee as Steve McClaren looks for '11 leaders'

22:30, 27 July 2015

By Lee Ryder

After last season's atrocious displays on the field Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren hands players a voice in the dressing room

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren has sought to address the lack of leadership at St James’ Park by re-establishing a committee of senior players.

In a move that echoes Chris Hughton’s actions back in 2010, Jack Colback, Daryl Janmaat, Cheick Tiote, Moussa Sissoko and Fabricio Coloccini have all been consulted by McClaren as he looks to get to the bottom of some of the issues that troubled the club last season.

McClaren is carrying out a full review of his squad and United’s set-up and will report his findings back to managing director Lee Charnley in due course.

One of the issues being debated by fans is who should captain the Magpies next term – but McClaren says he wants a team of leaders.

The Toon chief said: “I am just throwing that (the armband) around at the moment. I can understand captains in cricket and in rugby but I want 11 captains out there. I want them all wearing an armband and being leaders.

“We have developed a leadership senior group since I’ve been here and the ones that are taking the armband are part of that group. I just want them to show their seniority on the field. I want 11 out there - not one.”

Newcastle new boy Aleksandar Mitrovic is due on Tyneside today to train with the club for the first time since joining from Anderlecht. When asked about the striker’s condition, McClaren said: “He has been training with Anderlecht because the season has started. There have been a few days where he has had to work on his own because of the visa situation. We expect him to come in on Tuesday.

“Then we can assess him and whether he’s right for a few minutes at York or on Saturday.”

Newcastle also hope to have finalised the Chancel Mbemba signing by the time Bundesliga side Borussia Monchengladbach turn up on Tyneside for Saturday’s friendly at St James’ Park. Mitrovic is likely to make a home bow against Gladbach.

McClaren said: “Mitrovic will have 10 days with us. With Mbemba we are hoping to secure the visa for him to join us as well.”

It might get passed around that group I guess, Janmaat would be my obvious choice, it will be Colback. Colo has shirked all responsibility and should be nowhere near but I guess the other players like him for whatever reason. Tiote has been out in the cold so long dunno what to think of that. Hmmmm.

Jaanmaat by a country mile; footy is all leadership by example and I bet he's more articulate than all of the others mentioned. The Obertan thing is ludicrous if anyone just runs its him. it'll be colo or colback for the pashun/jawdee factor or just plain old status quo

Jaanmaat by a country mile; footy is all leadership by example and I bet he's more articulate than all of the others mentioned. The Obertan thing is ludicrous if anyone just runs its him. it'll be colo or colback for the pashun/jawdee factor or just plain old status quo

I disagree with that, Colo was supposed to be the 'leader by example'. To me footballing leadership is all about organising, motivating, accountable and vocal. Basically see Terry, John. I think Carragher was a far better 'captain' than Gerrard, for example.

colo was for a long time, as was terry with his last ditch efforts (along with being vocal of course) too many average players are praised for being gobshites in the game. I always thought carragher a competent if overrated player and Gerard just as likely to cheat, do something risky as do something brilliant, which he was of course. It's a very hazy term in football but coming back to Nufc I think jsanmaat has the intelligence, command and temperament to do it best. Which means it'll be colback every time.

Surprised not to see de Jong or Wijnaldum in that group. None of those are surprising though.

Why would they have either of those players in a group that was being asked what went wrong last season when they weren't there/ injured for the season

Surprised not to see de Jong or Wijnaldum in that group. None of those are surprising though.

Why would they have either of those players in a group that was being asked what went wrong last season when they weren't there/ injured for the season

That's their purpose in the short-term but I assume it's a long-term leadership committee? If so, De Jong/Wijnaldum should be involved.