Steve McClaren

Dave

“People are probably are wondering, ‘Can they play in the same team?’ I think you saw in the last 20 minutes against Gladbach that yes they can."

McClaren on Gini Jong. I like the sound of that..

He mentioned elsewhere how he liked it as an option if we needed a goal late in a game, but would prefer to start games with a more defensive midfielder in ahead of one of the pair.

Will get shot down but that's why someone like Elmohamady or that Anderlecht bloke would be handy. Covers RB & RW, meaning Sissoko will be more likely considered one of the central midfielders.

Elmohamady is more of a natural wide player, so yes I can see why he would fit that slot better than Sissoko. Whether he'd bring more overall to the team I'm not so sure. I think Sissoko might look a lot better in a team which is encouraged to pass and move rather than rely on two forwards to provide everything.

“People are probably are wondering, ‘Can they play in the same team?’ I think you saw in the last 20 minutes against Gladbach that yes they can."

Yeah, fantastic news.

He mentioned elsewhere how he liked it as an option if we needed a goal late in a game, but would prefer to start games with a more defensive midfielder in ahead of one of the pair.

Colback - Anita............ oh dear.

Maybe it will be better with McClaren but that sounds very defensive.

Sissoko isn't good enough to play in the centre ahead of de Jong or Wijnaldum, so RW is his spot.

Slightly misleading to call it RW (I always envisage a RW to be very wide in a 4 or 5 or wide in a forward 3). But that slot on the right side of a 3 behind a target man does seem the position to which he is best suited. Let's hope it is.

Sissoko isn't good enough to play in the centre ahead of de Jong or Wijnaldum, so RW is his spot.

Slightly misleading to call it RW (I always envisage a RW to be very wide in a 4 or 5 or wide in a forward 3). But that slot on the right side of a 3 behind a target man does seem the position to which he is best suited. Let's hope it is.

That's a really good point actually. I would hope McClaren sees him (and anyone who plays the nominal RW, LW) operating in and around the penalty area, rather than glued to the touchline or chasing hopeful punts over the fullback.

Is taht how we've been playing?

My natural inclination is that's too far up to play Sissoko.

It's quotes like this that make me warm to McClaren. I can only imagine Pardew's thoughts on the same issue. He'd be petrified playing the two of them together.

Is taht how we've been playing?

My natural inclination is that's too far up to play Sissoko.

don't know if it's how we've been playing pre season but it sees to me that that would get the best from him.

It's quotes like this that make me warm to McClaren. I can only imagine Pardew's thoughts on the same issue. He'd be petrified playing the two of them together.

"sa'ing sa'ing fret science and front foot, stop me if I'm getting too technical"

"sa'ing sa'ing fret science and front foot, stop me if I'm getting too technical"

I think this is the one thing, above all else, that I despised about Pardew. The fact that in interviews he would always try and make out like his teams play progressive, attacking football but the reality is the exact opposite. Cunt.

Steve McClaren has warned Southampton that success in the Europa League could come back to haunt them.

Southampton face Newcastle on the opening game of the season on Sunday, just three days after easing past Dutch side Vitesse in their latest qualifying round on Thursday.

But McClaren is less convinced by the long-term implications of such a busy early-season schedule once the full effects of the Premier League campaign kick in.

McClaren said: "Southampton had a good season last season and they got into Europe but I think that will hinder them as the season goes on.

I watched the interview and it's not as bad as it sounds, basically said it could effect them later in the season because they started earlier than everyone else and at the same time they have an advantage early on because of that.

Like when we started really early in that intertoto cup yonks ago...and ended up finishing 4th.

Not that I read interviews with foreign managers, but it seems a way bigger deal in this country than anywhere else with teams from other countries taking it far more seriously and not really letting it affect their league form.  Any reason for that, the money at stake if a club gets relegated?

The format is shite and there are far too many games like, no doubt about it.

I watched the interview and it's not as bad as it sounds, basically said it could effect them later in the season because they started earlier than everyone else and at the same time they have an advantage early on because of that.

Like when we started really early in that intertoto cup yonks ago...and ended up finishing 4th.

We didn't actually play in Europe following that though, so while we started early competitively we had relatively few games that season to tire us owt.

Aye but usually those who start early do tend to end the season slowly because of it. Not defending the whole Europe excuses because i hate it and all teams should attack the competition with their best team IMO. But those who start doing qualifiers in pre season do tend to struggle towards the end of the season but start well.

McClaren isn't wrong in that sense but it doesn't mean Southampton will mind.

Football is first and foremost for winning trophies, if you're unlikely to do that it should be to entertain the fans, and fans clearly enjoy being in Europe more than playing West Bromwich in another meaningless game.