Steve McClaren

Dave

He's trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear in terms of investment. He's not a big enough character/leader to pull this off for all his earnestness.

I do wonder what another manager would be getting out of this group tbh. A Klopp or other top class coach maybe but I've honestly been shocked at just how awful and unsuitable our midfield and defence are now. I mean we all knew they were bad but they seem to have intensified their level of shitness somehow.

We were unfortunate yesterday, Sissoko should have scored and we never put them under any real sustained pressure but on most other days we would have won. Trouble is, we can't keep on saying what should have happened, we have picked up 1 point from 6 against very ordinary sides.

One thing I've noticed, is this renewed ability to conjure up chance after chance which hasn't be seen for a long, long time. Perhaps going back to the Championship season. Throughout the Pardew era, it was sneaking wins through clinical Ba or Cisse finishes, or a moment of magic from Ben Arfa or Cabaye. Rarely did we dominate and even in the games we won by 2 or 3 goals, it was rarely a total battering.

Derby last few seasons were similar to the way we are starting to play, in that they would dominate possession and stamp their authority on a lot of games. So that in itself is pleasing to see.

In a way, I'm thinking that Mitrovic and Perez, whilst they dovetail very well indeed, aren't the most clinical in the world. But Cisse actually is pretty clinical if you give him chances, he has scored in utter turgid teams that created very little from just one or two chances per game. The 5th season was probably best in terms of chance creation and confidence being high, and he filled his boots.

Would anyone else be tempted to go 4-3-3 - like the Keegan inspired Owen, Viduka and Martins, but with Perez in the Owen role, Mitrovic as the Viduka and Cisse as Martins (albeit with more poaching, clinical prowess instead of pure speed or athleticism). Behind them, you could then play Wijnaldum, Sissoko and then Anita (or Tiote) as the defensive lynchpin. There would be a lot of pressure on the wing backs  - Janmaat and in this case you would need to play Haidara.

I think it would actually yield a real goal threat - more so than we have currently. As Cisse's movement not only will result in goals for him, but free up space for the likes of Mitrovic and Perez. Sissoko and Wijnaldum could cover one another with their drives up the field but would need to ensure Anita (or Tiote) stay back at all times to cover defensively.

Thoughts? 

One thing I've noticed, is this renewed ability to conjure up chance after chance which hasn't be seen for a long, long time. Perhaps going back to the Championship season. Throughout the Pardew era, it was sneaking wins through clinical Ba or Cisse finishes, or a moment of magic from Ben Arfa or Cabaye. Rarely did we dominate and even in the games we won by 2 or 3 goals, it was rarely a total battering.

Derby last few seasons were similar to the way we are starting to play, in that they would dominate possession and stamp their authority on a lot of games. So that in itself is pleasing to see.

In a way, I'm thinking that Mitrovic and Perez, whilst they dovetail very well indeed, aren't the most clinical in the world. But Cisse actually is pretty clinical if you give him chances, he has scored in utter turgid teams that created very little from just one or two chances per game. The 5th season was probably best in terms of chance creation and confidence being high, and he filled his boots.

Would anyone else be tempted to go 4-3-3 - like the Keegan inspired Owen, Viduka and Martins, but with Perez in the Owen role, Mitrovic as the Viduka and Cisse as Martins (albeit with more poaching, clinical prowess instead of pure speed or athleticism). Behind them, you could then play Wijnaldum, Sissoko and then Anita (or Tiote) as the defensive lynchpin. There would be a lot of pressure on the wing backs  - Janmaat and in this case you would need to play Haidara.

I think it would actually yield a real goal threat - more so than we have currently. As Cisse's movement not only will result in goals for him, but free up space for the likes of Mitrovic and Perez. Sissoko and Wijnaldum could cover one another with their drives up the field but would need to ensure Anita (or Tiote) stay back at all times to cover defensively.

Thoughts? 

I think Cisse is done here, he wont be risked on the pitch as from the sounds of it they are hoping to move him on to free up salary space for new incomers.

That team would need a pacy striker like Berahino or something in that Cisse role followed by a different left back who can get up the pitch and contribute more fruitfully in attack as you take out the width.

Something like..

Cone

Janmaat  Mbemba  New  New

New

Sissoko        Wijnaldum

Perez

Mitro        New              (pacey striker like you say)

Still far too conservative with his team selection imo. at home to Stoke, we're desperate for a win and he picks 7 players purely designed to stop Stoke. Keeper, back 4 and Anita and Tiote, all there to, largely, defend and/or protect. We're neck deep in the shit and he's only brave enough to pick 4 players to break Stoke down and score enough to win it. It's just not good enough.

Trying to play a bit of football is admirable but it's utterly futile when it's left to 4 or 5 men to break down an entire team. We're a sheep in wolf's clothing, utterly toothless and unless he has the bottle to go for weaker opposition at home then we'll go down playing nice football.

Plus he's always fukin smiling.

Disagree, I think the way we play is a different league to Pardew. (f*** off before anyone says 'Aye, Championship hur hur'...c***s). Once we get a few results I think we'll be a good team to watch.

We already are a good team to watch, for the opposition.

Disagree, I think the way we play is a different league to Pardew. (f*** off before anyone says 'Aye, Championship hur hur'...c***s). Once we get a few results I think we'll be a good team to watch.

I tend to agree with this.

We need reinforcements though, no doubt about it.

completely agree .

When will we get these few results?

I think he needs time. There's definite improvement imo, he needs a big january though, we need a centre mid, centre half and cente forward, if that doesent happen, we've got a big problem.

I don't think they're even considering a CH like. It's Colo and Mbemba all the way.

The CM, if we sign one, had better be fucking good or we are deep in shit. Good enough to carry Colback as well mind as that's who he'll be playing with [emoji38]

He needs at least 4 wins out of the next 6 to get a stay of execution from me. Him putting Colback as the first name on the team sheet if he's fit is a real worry.

Mbemba in Colback's position would see us through until the Jan Window. Then slot Dummet back alongside Colo.

I think he needs time. There's definite improvement imo, he needs a big january though, we need a centre mid, centre half and cente forward, if that doesent happen, we've got a big problem.

I don't think they're even considering a CH like. It's Colo and Mbemba all the way.

The CM, if we sign one, had better be f***ing good or we are deep in s***. Good enough to carry Colback as well mind as that's who he'll be playing with [emoji38]

Not signing one who's better in the air is suicide imo, but, i agree, it'll be colo and mbemba.

I do think we'll get a CM in. Who is anyones guess.

He needs at least 4 wins out of the next 6 to get a stay of execution from me. Him putting Colback as the first name on the team sheet if he's fit is a real worry.

Mbemba in Colback's position would see us through until the Jan Window. Then slot Dummet back alongside Colo.

You're not allowed to suggest playing any of our CH's at DM around here dude, Colo was shit at it once so it means they all are apparently.

completely agree .

When will we get these few results?

I think we'll get one at bournemouth, but, then again, I thought we'd get one yesterday and last week.

aye, not a bad shout that.

Coloccini, Mbemba, Taylor (all purples), Lascelles, Dummett all competing for two places. Unless one of the purples gets shipped we ain't buying a cb. It flies in the face of this successful strategy we have.

Coloccini, Mbemba, Taylor (all purples), Lascelles, Dummett all competing for two places. Unless one of the purples gets shipped we ain't buying a cb. It flies in the face of this successful strategy we have.

Plus McClaren would look like an absolute fucking buffoon dropping Colo after waxing lyrical about him when the contract extension was handed out. 4 months later I just don't see him holding his hands up saying aye we fucked up there, he's finished. That's to say nothing of Little Mike who must be on the gangplank atm.

McClaren must be preying for him to get a season ending injury the game before 1st January.

Thoughts? 

I think Cisse is done here, he wont be risked on the pitch as from the sounds of it they are hoping to move him on to free up salary space for new incomers.

I think you're right there but I do wonder how many goals Mitro and Perez will actually produce themselves. They both hold the ball up well so it looks like we are going to be relying on goals from supporting midfielders as much as the front two. While they are both excellent players, they aren't going to score the goals that Vardie and Mahrez will as a front pair.

I think we'll get one at bournemouth, but, then again, I thought we'd get one yesterday and last week.

I think Bournemouth is a must win game for us because we have to start winning at some point and Bournemouth should be a game we are aiming to win.