Steve McClaren

Dave

It's surprised me how one dimensional he is. I never expected him to tear up trees and propel us up the table but I did expect him to be versatile and tactically astute given everything that has been said about him, and given where he has has managed.

So far we've seen him stick with the same formation and personel game after game despite it not working. We've seen him ignore attacking/creative players in favour of workmanlike midfielders, we haven't really seen any discernible style of play emerging etc.

None of it really suggests he's the world class coach and forward thinking tactician that he's made out to be in the old boys network.  If he was he would surely have tried out some different lineups, formations and in-game approaches by now.

He's a #2 all day. Seems to be a decent coach. Doesn't have the personality, confidence, people skills to be a decent PL manager.

It's surprised me how one dimensional he is. I never expected him to tear up trees and propel us up the table but I did expect him to be versatile and tactically astute given everything that has been said about him, and given where he has has managed.

So far we've seen him stick with the same formation and personel game after game despite it not working. We've seen him ignore attacking/creative players in favour of workmanlike midfielders, we haven't really seen any discernible style of play emerging etc.

None of it really suggests he's the world class coach and forward thinking tactician that he's made out to be in the old boys network.  If he was he would surely have tried out some different lineups, formations and in-game approaches by now.

Tactics are over rated when you don't have the personality to motivate young men. Footballers need to be inspired. Listen to how Craig Bellamy talks about Sir Bobby:

“He’s shit scared of you already, that one, son,” he’d say.

Or it might be: “Get him on the turn today, son, and you’ll kill him.”

Or: “Look at him, son, he’s not even fit to be on the same pitch as you.”

I felt like I was the quickest player going, I felt strong, I felt invincible because of him.

He would talk to me like I was the best player in the world and I went out at St James’ Park feeling like I was going to play like the best player in the world.

I am 5ft 6 or 5ft 7ins tall but I am telling you this: when I put that kit on and I was standing in that tunnel with Bobby Robson, I felt like I was Didier Drogba.

Can you imagine that being SMC's approach? He'll tell Anita to make sure to cover Daryl's runs and some other fancy crap. Football management is a people's game, it's not won with A2 sheets of paper ffs.

Most likely scenario is McClaren moving upstairs as Director of Football and Ian Cathro stepping in to take his first managerial role.

In their eyes it will minimise PR damage and avoid them having to pay compensation. They'd probably trot out some shit about this always being the plan as they saw huge potential in Cathro but wanted him to learn the ropes from an experienced manager first.

I wouldn't get excited about Seedorf or anyone else coming in. It's not the Ashley/Charnley way

Cathro is still in his 20's isn't he? That'd be a ludicrous move at this stage, worse than JFK objectively speaking.

I'd take it mind [emoji38]

If they were workmanlike, we'd not be getting bossed by sides like Bournemouth and Leicester. I don't think there's a decent tackle between the lot of them and they certainly don't run as hard as the opposition. Wijnaldum is the one quality player but he doesn't want to defend. If we had a half decent defensive midfielder he wouldn't need to.

Most likely scenario is McClaren moving upstairs as Director of Football and Ian Cathro stepping in to take his first managerial role.

In their eyes it will minimise PR damage and avoid them having to pay compensation. They'd probably trot out some shit about this always being the plan as they saw huge potential in Cathro but wanted him to learn the ropes from an experienced manager first.

I wouldn't get excited about Seedorf or anyone else coming in. It's not the Ashley/Charnley way

Cathro is still in his 20's isn't he? That'd be a ludicrous move at this stage, worse than JFK objectively speaking.

I'd take it mind [emoji38]

I'm not sure he's any better mind, he never seems to say much during the match, it's not like you even see him talking to McClaren. He just sits there looking a bit worried.

He's a #2 all day. Seems to be a decent coach. Doesn't have the personality, confidence, people skills to be a decent PL manager.

Tactics are over rated when you don't have the personality to motivate young men. Footballers need to be inspired. Listen to how Craig Bellamy talks about Sir Bobby:

“He’s s*** scared of you already, that one, son,” he’d say.

Or it might be: “Get him on the turn today, son, and you’ll kill him.”

Or: “Look at him, son, he’s not even fit to be on the same pitch as you.”

I felt like I was the quickest player going, I felt strong, I felt invincible because of him.

He would talk to me like I was the best player in the world and I went out at St James’ Park feeling like I was going to play like the best player in the world.

I am 5ft 6 or 5ft 7ins tall but I am telling you this: when I put that kit on and I was standing in that tunnel with Bobby Robson, I felt like I was Didier Drogba.

Can you imagine that being SMC's approach? He'll tell Anita to make sure to cover Daryl's runs and some other fancy crap. Football management is a people's game, it's not won with A2 sheets of paper ffs.

Brought a tear to my eye, those quotes. Good post.

If they were workmanlike, we'd not be getting bossed by sides like Bournemouth and Leicester. I don't think there's a decent tackle between the lot of them and they certainly don't run as hard as the opposition. Wijnaldum is the one quality player but he doesn't want to defend. If we had a half decent defensive midfielder he wouldn't need to.

That's not true. Any CM is going to need to work for the team when the opponent has the ball and defend. It's even a problem for Fabregas who is a much better player than Wijnaldum that usually plays in a much better team.

That's not true. Any CM is going to need to work for the team when the opponent has the ball and defend. It's even a problem for Fabregas who is a much better player than Wijnaldum that usually plays in a much better team.

Wijnaldum's defending needs to be higher up the pitch, that's what I meant. Obviously everyone has to defend when you don't have the ball, but when he's played deep he just goes through the motions. He's fine if he's given time and space but he doesn't look like he fancies it much if the opposition are in his face.

Wijnaldum's defending needs to be higher up the pitch, that's what I meant. Obviously everyone has to defend when you don't have the ball, but when he's played deep he just goes through the motions. He's fine if he's given time and space but he doesn't look like he fancies it much if the opposition are in his face.

yeah that's going to have to change. If you can't deal with it "up and at him" he won't succeed in this division. I'm not a bad player when given time and space lol.

Despite him being not good enough, he hasn't been given the tools to do the job correctly. We don't even have a true centre mid, or true wingers at the club. We just have a bunch of below average defensive midfielders and an abundance of number 10's.

Needs to f***ing be sacked. Need half a new team IMO.

Nothing has improved, we don't even look half organised and look just as toothless going forward. Needs big changes in midfield and need to tighten up. Our pressing and closing down is awful. The players need to be closer together as well. I would probably go with:

Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Anita in a triangle covering the space with Thauvin Left, Perez right as wide men and Mitro up front. It would probably at least give us right balance. When we don't have the ball we should be compact with centre 3 already in place to defend. The space between Defenders and Midfield needs to be more compact as well, simply too many gaps for this level.

Going forward we may suffer initially but something has to be done. When we do have the ball we need to get people around Mitrovic to pick up second balls.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/clarence-seedorf-linked-newcastle-united-10487877

Just loves shooting down feel good stories the bald illiterate bastard!

:lol: Was just coming in to post the same thing. Bet you the baldy cunt puts out his log burner every night with a fire extinguisher.

Comes in from work and just blasts the fuck out of it.

'There'll be no warmth or hope in this house you cunt.........blaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssstttttttttttttt'.

I guess I was one of the most vocal opposition to his appointment, even when it was just rumoured but, even after the shitty start, I actually think the problem is bigger than him.

He's clearly not the man to bring about any sustainable change. That's a given. But I do think the very fact the club has been steeped in a 'do enough' culture for so long that 90% of the current squad have lost all ambition.

Ultimately, when your biggest 'sell' to the likes of Sissoko, Thauvin, Cisse etc is 'come here and then move to a big club' you reap what you sow.

We've effectively taken out the competitive element of sporting life and replaced it with financial caution/minor prosperity and, as a result, we've not signed ambitious sportsmen, we've picked up talented employees who have the odd good shift but more bad with no consequence.

When there is no punishment for failure, at any level of the club, then the rot sets in. Ours is well beyond that stage. It's so far embedded within the club that one gust of wind would blow it all over.

You can't say anything other than the writing has been on the wall for a long long time. For fucks sake, Us, the mackems and Villa have been like the cumulative turd that wont flush for years.

If you believe in form, in probability, in likelihood then it's fairly inevitable that at least 2 of the 3 of us will drop this year. The writing is on the wall. If it's not this year then next. No matter.

To change this level of damage you need an absolutely inspirational figurehead. A Klopp. That's why I was harping on about him so much in the summer, probably rightly to much amusement, but we need a huge change.

It's also the reason I wanted Vieira. A risk, sure. But a potentially huge figurehead.

The reason they appointed SMc is because he's 'grateful' and they like that. He's pliable. He's drinking in the last chance saloon and, after being sacked by Derby, it was pretty much last orders. The game Ashley has played at NUFC requires him to have total control. That's why everybody, in every position, is arguably out of his or her depth. They are the grateful, the subservient, loyal to their master.

Take a long hard look and think who would get an equivalent job at any other PL Club? Don't even limit that to the playing staff, the coaching staff, the management team. Oh no. Look above them and ask why a club secretary is now the MD, the Head of PR was a dogsbody at the local airport, the last MD was a glorified croupier, the coaches, post KK, have all been yes men.

You can't polish a turd. Especially when those responsible for said turd won't even invest in polish, cloths or waste bags. They'll use some knocked off windowlene, the kitmans old shirt and the free bag for life from Sports Direct that we probably paid £30 for in a reciprocal agreement that only actually reciprocates one way.

Strip ambition, strip class and strip integrity and you're left looking for a miracle should you ever actually want to turn things around. And these guys don't come around very often. Steve Mc certainly isn't that man. Klopp would have been but he plays a different game to that of Ashley. And quite right too.

^^ didn't read it all but I think it points to what i've been saying for years. The managers aren't all that important. Our demise is coming from the owner and his vision for the club.

Maybe it's not what you're saying but it should. KK almost achieved the ambition of the owners. Ditto SBR. They set the standard. Our standards are dead. Crap owner, crap MD, misguided Scout, hopeless Head Coach, demotivated footballers.

I guess I was one of the most vocal opposition to his appointment, even when it was just rumoured but, even after the shitty start, I actually think the problem is bigger than him.

He's clearly not the man to bring about any sustainable change. That's a given. But I do think the very fact the club has been steeped in a 'do enough' culture for so long that 90% of the current squad have lost all ambition.

Ultimately, when your biggest 'sell' to the likes of Sissoko, Thauvin, Cisse etc is 'come here and then move to a big club' you reap what you sow.

We've effectively taken out the competitive element of sporting life and replaced it with financial caution/minor prosperity and, as a result, we've not signed ambitious sportsmen, we've picked up talented employees who have the odd good shift but more bad with no consequence.

When there is no punishment for failure, at any level of the club, then the rot sets in. Ours is well beyond that stage. It's so far embedded within the club that one gust of wind would blow it all over.

You can't say anything other than the writing has been on the wall for a long long time. For fucks sake, Us, the mackems and Villa have been like the cumulative turd that wont flush for years.

If you believe in form, in probability, in likelihood then it's fairly inevitable that at least 2 of the 3 of us will drop this year. The writing is on the wall. If it's not this year then next. No matter.

To change this level of damage you need an absolutely inspirational figurehead. A Klopp. That's why I was harping on about him so much in the summer, probably rightly to much amusement, but we need a huge change.

It's also the reason I wanted Vieira. A risk, sure. But a potentially huge figurehead.

The reason they appointed SMc is because he's 'grateful' and they like that. He's pliable. He's drinking in the last chance saloon and, after being sacked by Derby, it was pretty much last orders. The game Ashley has played at NUFC requires him to have total control. That's why everybody, in every position, is arguably out of his or her depth. They are the grateful, the subservient, loyal to their master.

Take a long hard look and think who would get an equivalent job at any other PL Club? Don't even limit that to the playing staff, the coaching staff, the management team. Oh no. Look above them and ask why a club secretary is now the MD, the Head of PR was a dogsbody at the local airport, the last MD was a glorified croupier, the coaches, post KK, have all been yes men.

You can't polish a turd. Especially when those responsible for said turd won't even invest in polish, cloths or waste bags. They'll use some knocked off windowlene, the kitmans old shirt and the free bag for life from Sports Direct that we probably paid £30 for in a reciprocal agreement that only actually reciprocates one way.

Strip ambition, strip class and strip integrity and you're left looking for a miracle should you ever actually want to turn things around. And these guys don't come around very often. Steve Mc certainly isn't that man. Klopp would have been but he plays a different game to that of Ashley. And quite right too.

Ding ding ding. On the money.

Sad reading but bang on, in everything.

We need to focus on getting Ashley out from hereon. We need the protests and chanting to resume.

Top post Minhosa.  Even with proper ownership.  I'm not sure we'd attract someone like Klopp.  But I'm not sure that's what you were getting at? 

Depressingly accurate.  But at least you got some humour in there to stop us all becoming suicidal!