Steve McClaren

Dave

I guess I was one of the most vocal opposition to his appointment, even when it was just rumoured but, even after the shitty start, I actually think the problem is bigger than him.

He's clearly not the man to bring about any sustainable change. That's a given. But I do think the very fact the club has been steeped in a 'do enough' culture for so long that 90% of the current squad have lost all ambition.

Ultimately, when your biggest 'sell' to the likes of Sissoko, Thauvin, Cisse etc is 'come here and then move to a big club' you reap what you sow.

We've effectively taken out the competitive element of sporting life and replaced it with financial caution/minor prosperity and, as a result, we've not signed ambitious sportsmen, we've picked up talented employees who have the odd good shift but more bad with no consequence.

When there is no punishment for failure, at any level of the club, then the rot sets in. Ours is well beyond that stage. It's so far embedded within the club that one gust of wind would blow it all over.

You can't say anything other than the writing has been on the wall for a long long time. For fucks sake, Us, the mackems and Villa have been like the cumulative turd that wont flush for years.

If you believe in form, in probability, in likelihood then it's fairly inevitable that at least 2 of the 3 of us will drop this year. The writing is on the wall. If it's not this year then next. No matter.

To change this level of damage you need an absolutely inspirational figurehead. A Klopp. That's why I was harping on about him so much in the summer, probably rightly to much amusement, but we need a huge change.

It's also the reason I wanted Vieira. A risk, sure. But a potentially huge figurehead.

The reason they appointed SMc is because he's 'grateful' and they like that. He's pliable. He's drinking in the last chance saloon and, after being sacked by Derby, it was pretty much last orders. The game Ashley has played at NUFC requires him to have total control. That's why everybody, in every position, is arguably out of his or her depth. They are the grateful, the subservient, loyal to their master.

Take a long hard look and think who would get an equivalent job at any other PL Club? Don't even limit that to the playing staff, the coaching staff, the management team. Oh no. Look above them and ask why a club secretary is now the MD, the Head of PR was a dogsbody at the local airport, the last MD was a glorified croupier, the coaches, post KK, have all been yes men.

You can't polish a turd. Especially when those responsible for said turd won't even invest in polish, cloths or waste bags. They'll use some knocked off windowlene, the kitmans old shirt and the free bag for life from Sports Direct that we probably paid £30 for in a reciprocal agreement that only actually reciprocates one way.

Strip ambition, strip class and strip integrity and you're left looking for a miracle should you ever actually want to turn things around. And these guys don't come around very often. Steve Mc certainly isn't that man. Klopp would have been but he plays a different game to that of Ashley. And quite right too.

Ding ding ding. On the money.

The bit about Klopp and Vieira especially. Football should be about excitement and hunger to succeed and that's what those appointments bring. McClaren on the other hand has come here to retire.

I guess I was one of the most vocal opposition to his appointment, even when it was just rumoured but, even after the shitty start, I actually think the problem is bigger than him.

He's clearly not the man to bring about any sustainable change. That's a given. But I do think the very fact the club has been steeped in a 'do enough' culture for so long that 90% of the current squad have lost all ambition.

Ultimately, when your biggest 'sell' to the likes of Sissoko, Thauvin, Cisse etc is 'come here and then move to a big club' you reap what you sow.

We've effectively taken out the competitive element of sporting life and replaced it with financial caution/minor prosperity and, as a result, we've not signed ambitious sportsmen, we've picked up talented employees who have the odd good shift but more bad with no consequence.

When there is no punishment for failure, at any level of the club, then the rot sets in. Ours is well beyond that stage. It's so far embedded within the club that one gust of wind would blow it all over.

You can't say anything other than the writing has been on the wall for a long long time. For fucks sake, Us, the mackems and Villa have been like the cumulative turd that wont flush for years.

If you believe in form, in probability, in likelihood then it's fairly inevitable that at least 2 of the 3 of us will drop this year. The writing is on the wall. If it's not this year then next. No matter.

To change this level of damage you need an absolutely inspirational figurehead. A Klopp. That's why I was harping on about him so much in the summer, probably rightly to much amusement, but we need a huge change.

It's also the reason I wanted Vieira. A risk, sure. But a potentially huge figurehead.

The reason they appointed SMc is because he's 'grateful' and they like that. He's pliable. He's drinking in the last chance saloon and, after being sacked by Derby, it was pretty much last orders. The game Ashley has played at NUFC requires him to have total control. That's why everybody, in every position, is arguably out of his or her depth. They are the grateful, the subservient, loyal to their master.

Take a long hard look and think who would get an equivalent job at any other PL Club? Don't even limit that to the playing staff, the coaching staff, the management team. Oh no. Look above them and ask why a club secretary is now the MD, the Head of PR was a dogsbody at the local airport, the last MD was a glorified croupier, the coaches, post KK, have all been yes men.

You can't polish a turd. Especially when those responsible for said turd won't even invest in polish, cloths or waste bags. They'll use some knocked off windowlene, the kitmans old shirt and the free bag for life from Sports Direct that we probably paid £30 for in a reciprocal agreement that only actually reciprocates one way.

Strip ambition, strip class and strip integrity and you're left looking for a miracle should you ever actually want to turn things around. And these guys don't come around very often. Steve Mc certainly isn't that man. Klopp would have been but he plays a different game to that of Ashley. And quite right too.

Sad reading but bang on, in everything.

We need to focus on getting Ashley out from hereon. We need the protests and chanting to resume.

The twists and turns of the Ashley saga have only two chapters left imho. Appoint a figurehead or sell up.

Even with the current fan apathy/malaise, even the idiots cotton on eventually and SMc will start to take some stick. Possibly even after next weekend because of the Pardew factor.

He then either appoints someone capable of major cultural change OR another McClaren, Kinnear etc.

He either wants a competitive club (:lol:) or he doesn't. Those words from May will come back to haunt him soon.

You can't say anything other than the writing has been on the wall for a long long time. For f***s sake, Us, the mackems and Villa have been like the cumulative turd that wont flush for years.

superb post.

It's spot on, but I was still happy-ish with McClaren because he was so much better than the people I thought we would be looking at under Ashley. Even if you think he's average and agree with all of Minhosa's points, I don't think you could have expected it to go this badly.

We also employed some coaches who, despite their failure here so far, were quite well respected (or at least up and coming). Something else I never expected us to do.

You can't say anything other than the writing has been on the wall for a long long time. For f***s sake, Us, the mackems and Villa have been like the cumulative turd that wont flush for years.

superb post.

Yep - nailed it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Bang on the money.

I thought Leicester looked like Dourtmund on Saturday. They hunted the ball down in packs, their counter attacks were rapid, and every player worked their socks off for the team. Danny Simpson looked good out there, too.  :yikes:

We looked awful by comparison. And we were at home which makes things even worse.

I feel that McClaren has no confidence himself, and I hope he walks and really puts pressure on the board to make a decision. This club needs a motivator/cheerleader type manager to get the best out of the players we have, because I do think there's talent in the squad. We have players who have played in World Cup semi finals and CL campaigns.

I tried to be optimistic with the decision to appoint him but he's been absolutely shit so far. So bad that I've been missing Pardew.

Excellent post from Minhosa but what is this "minor prosperity" you speak of?

Making a quick buck on transfer deals and holdong onto the fee for a couple of transfer windows before reinvesting it.  Meanwhile, other clubs spend th money the get and leave us behind.  A quick buck, no long term plan, month to month running of the club in chase of scraping pennies together.

Just like how he runs his discount stores.

It's spot on, but I was still happy-ish with McClaren because he was so much better than the people I thought we would be looking at under Ashley. Even if you think he's average and agree with all of Minhosa's points, I don't think you could have expected it to go this badly.

We also employed some coaches who, despite their failure here so far, were quite well respected (or at least up and coming). Something else I never expected us to do.

That's the thing, I was quite optimistic due to everything you've said there, not hoping for miracles but at least a top half finish and then kick on from there. It really has been appalling beyond belief.

From this:

To this:

13 games, 10 points. What a cunt.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Both absolutely perfect.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-uniteds-steve-mcclaren-not-10490429?

Newcastle United's Steve McClaren will not only get time but more money to spend in January

19:30, 23 NOV 2015 UPDATED 19:51, 23 NOV 2015

BY LEE RYDER

There will be no knee-jerk reaction at St James' Park when it comes to the future of Steve McClaren with Newcastle United set to stick by their man

Newcastle United don’t do knee-jerk reactions in the boardroom so any talk of Steve McClaren being under pressure is extremely premature.

It’s highly unlikely the Magpies will tear up a gameplan they devised just a few months ago when McClaren signed a three-year contract in the summer.

And it’s very much phase one of a long project under McClaren as far as the power brokers are concerned at St James’ Park.

Early shouts for Newcastle to make moves for available managers like David Moyes or Brendan Rodgers can be deemed way off the mark at the moment, while United officials were probably mystified by talk of ex-AC Milan manager Clarence Seedorf being touted as a replacement for McClaren while he’s still just 13 games into the job.

Of course, football is a results-driven business and nobody at United wants to see the club in the precarious position they are in at the moment.

But behind the scenes at Newcastle their mind-set is to stick with the man in the dugout.

That was also the case with Alan Pardew, who survived bad results, cup exits, derby defeats and even a touchline head-butt which many pundits felt was a sackable offence.

In the end Pardew chose to resign of his own accord.

His replacement John Carver also wasn’t sacked and made the call to leave rather than stay on at Newcastle. Carver could have stayed at the club in the summer but decided to move on.

McClaren will get the time to turn things around and deliver what the club hope will be a steady finish.

Mike Ashley will want to see results too but the United owner won’t do anything rash. The Buckinghamshire tycoon has been there before and back in his first season he made decisions with a fan’s mentality.

He was actually sat alongside supporters in the away end at Wigan Athletic and wearing a Newcastle shirt when he decided enough was enough with Sam Allardyce and a change needed to be made.

These days, Ashley relies on his “football board” for information and advice.

Like any successful businessman he doesn’t enjoy paying out masses of compensation when results take a dip. His board of managing director Lee Charnley, club ambassador Bob Moncur and chief scout Graham Carr now guide him on football decisions.

All three were in agreement that former England chief McClaren was the right man for the job and that view hasn’t changed in the boardroom.

Instead United, as a club, take what they call “collective responsibility” and the only thing going on behind-the-scenes at this moment in time is work on the recruitment front.

Charnley said earlier this season: “Identifying the problems in order to find the solutions is crucial, but we are not in the business of apportioning blame. We are a team, from the boardroom to the boot room, and we will respond like one.”

Those words still stand now and it is expected McClaren will be backed in January.

That wasn’t the case for Carver last winter and Pardew also endured a few rough transfer windows when his best players, like Yohan Cabaye and Andy Carroll, were sold for the big bucks and not replaced.

United under McClaren are currently in a more worrying position.

They need to improve but McClaren will get the chance to show what he can do with both the current crop of players plus potential new blood in January.

The majority of fans seem to be prepared to give McClaren that time too. The boos at the weekend were directed at the players while only one or two fans lost their cool with the head coach.

McClaren knows all about that side of football too.

At Middlesbrough he had a season ticket thrown his way by a pitch invader but still left the club having delivered a trophy in the shape of the League Cup as well as reaching the UEFA Cup final.

While football pundits were talking about his future on Monday, McClaren was back on the training field and looking to put things right.

If he can lead Newcastle to a much-needed win at Crystal Palace this weekend, the defeat to Leicester might just be a storm in a tea cup – but only IF United can find a good performance in the capital.

Certainly the United faithful would love to be toasting three points against Pardew’s side this Saturday at Selhurst Park.

Ryder's typically laughable writing style aside, that's a fairly thinly-veiled club statement.

His replacement John Carver also wasn’t sacked and made the call to leave rather than stay on at Newcastle. Carver could have stayed at the club in the summer but decided to move on.
Did he fuck. :lol: I imagine any mutual agreement about parting ways went "You're shit and fired." "I agree." I don't think Carver would have ever voluntarily walked.

Guest reefatoon

What's  he on about saying Leicester could be a storm in a teacup if we get something at the weekend. We have only won twice this season you fucking shaved baboon. The Leicester result is the usual.

Flicked over to Talksport for 5 minutes on the drive home last night.  A Geordie by the name of David, made some very good points about McClaren.  How we should have got someone in the same mould as Klopp or a figurehead like Vieira.  Also mentioned how the rot had set in long before he arrived.  Due to Ashley, Pardew and Carver.  Made some other points in between Collymore shouting the odds.

David Minhosa TBH. 

Flicked over to Talksport for 5 minutes on the drive home last night.  A Geordie by the name of David, made some very good points about McClaren.  How we should have got someone in the same mould as Klopp or a figurehead like Vieira.  Also mentioned how the rot had set in long before he arrived.  Due to Ashley, Pardew and Carver.  Made some other points in between Collymore shouting the odds.

David Minhosa TBH. 

Was me.  :lol:

Cheers minhosa  :lol:

Notice they didn't pick up on my beaten by 3 goals or more under pardew stat and pretty much cut me off after it.

Can't be talking badly about pardew on a national radio show, hey?