Steve McClaren

Dave

"So, now you've not managed to get them up can you might as well resign so we don't have pay compensation. We can put it towards the transfer kitty you'll definitely have, honest."

"Nah, you're alright ta."

Wouldn't surprise me.

Being impliedly(/explicitly) rejected by McClaren is excellent news IMO.

Even a manager who desperately needs a step up out of the doldrums doesn't want to work in conditions that made Pardew cry and makes John Carver want to take out fans for tea every game.

Fan power is still potent it seems even though it no longer means what it used to. It no longer means "voting with your feet" - thankfully so, as many of our fanbase are spineless, but now means creating an atmosphere of toxicity for the manager and staff who suckle at the teat of the owner, such that they no longer want to work in that environment.

10 years ago we were an attractive proposition. A lot of managers wanting to be the one who finally woke the 'sleeping giant' in the north and realised this clubs potential.

Now, it's stay in the league and sell your best players, and maybe in time we'll replace them. Wouldn't want to take that job on either, not unless I fancied just existing as a football manager and cashing in cheques. McLaren obviously has more ambition than that, and fair play to him. He may not be great but he wants to be, unlike this shadow of a club.

Would hope we would look to hire someone more inspiring than McClaren, can't blame the guy, he's still trying to rebuild his image after the wally with the brolly and the whole Shteeve thing. We're hardly a club he can galvanise his comeback with, poisoned chalice if ever there was one. Probably the best decision all round tbh, he'd have been hounded out pretty sharpish by the fans.

Ashley has a rather large egg on his face also being turned down by McClaren, ffs.

Good on him for showing ashley there's a difference between a head coach and a yes man.

He will have to trick a foriegn coach all is well here and the setup is good, he might even stumble across gold, or he could just stick with carver, stone or Beardsley.

Quite easy to read between the lines on this one.......we've lined him up for the summer all along and then this season goes shit shaped and we've effectively said to him 'It's now or never' and he's looked at it and thought 'Fuck that, on those terms, never'.

I'd be amazed to see him approached again in Ashley's tenure. Surely Ashley and Penfold would question his bollocks/suitability for the role if he won't roll over at their whim.

If my assumptions are correct, then good on him.

I'm pleased he didn't come as he'd very much represent 'more of the same' in the medium term. At least select someone who gives us some hope.

No one who comes here will give us hope. Anyone who shows up is either a fool or desperate for a job. We're fucked either way. As if Garde is watching this in France and thinking 'this must be a great place to go to'.

Good on him for showing ashley there's a difference between a head coach and a yes man.

He will have to trick a foriegn coach all is well here and the setup is good, he might even stumble across gold, or he could just stick with carver, stone or Beardsley.

He was definitely interested in coming here IMO, just didn't fancy the prospect of being in charge of a team that might get relegated. He might still hope to come in the summer except I'm not sure Ashley will allow it now. I'm not even sure that Derby will be that keen on keeping him either, that's two promotion failures in a row now.

Well, he has common sense. It would be foolish for McClaren to come here and take this position at this time. What tactical imprint will he really leave over three weeks? At this point of the season, he is nothing more than a warm body that would hopefully put a bounce into the step of NUFC's downtrodden players. If a new manager was to be appointed, it should have happened two months ago when the situation was tenable. It is not a particularly unique decision for a club on pace for a middling season to allow some lame duck assistant to handle the rest of the campaign, when the manager unexpectedly leaves, so they can wait until close season when there will be more available managers for less money. It could only be at this version of Newcastle, where this assistant ends up with maybe the worst record of any manager in the history of the league and throws everything asunder. No one with other options will come in this position.

Also, if we are to be relegated, Derby are frankly a much more stable option for any manager. Everyone knows Derby's goals for next season, they have a core group of players that will likely remain in 2015-2016 and are familiar with the league. No one knows how this club would handle relegation, there is due to be a large turnover of players regardless, the supporters have protested against the last two managers, and it is unknown what investment strategy Ashley would pursue with lowered revenue (though this is somewhat mitigated by parachute payments).

This being said, the alarmist talk of how any decent manager will not be willing to come (during close season) is false, imo. Well-paid managerial jobs (the NUFC position will be well paid in relative terms across relevant positions) are scarce, managers are not. If the clubs hires a dunce, it will be because of foolish decisions and little else.

His skill set aside, the fact that the manager coming in for the last three games would be the one choosing whether or not they were going to be getting a paycheck come August would be more than enough motivation for the players to actually string a fucking pass together.

I question his logic to be honest. IF he was offered the gig, then not taking it doesn't help him redeem himself in the eyes of the public.

He's got a no lose situation, 3 games (which on paper are pretty comfortable), win one and you stay in the PL. You then have a PL job, much greater exposure than at a derby side who just missed the playoffs.

Lose all three and go down, clearly not his fault, the damage was done under charver. Will be the manager of the biggest club in the championship with the biggest budget, more likely to go back up and a chance to be a hero again.

Now he gets to stay at the back water of derby, will be accused of lacking the bottle to take on a fight. Derby's failure to make the playoffs from a position where they were fighting for the title. Fans are turning on him for the failure, if he gets off to a slow start next year, he's out of work again. For a manager who has been a consistent failure (outside of one season in Holland and a couple of cup runs 10 years ago with boro) that will probably be the last decent sized job he will get.

Not that I wanted him to come here and should we survive, it will be a huge relief that he's effectively ruled himself out of contention. But not sure if he has thought this through from a personal level.

I'm sure I will get lots of "He's right to turn it down due to Ashley etc.." but I'm looking at this from the chance for him to regain some reputation.

I question his logic to be honest. IF he was offered the gig, then not taking it doesn't help him redeem himself in the eyes of the public.

He's got a no lose situation, 3 games (which on paper are pretty comfortable), win one and you stay in the PL. You then have a PL job, much greater exposure than at a derby side who just missed the playoffs.

Lose all three and go down, clearly not his fault, the damage was done under charver. Will be the manager of the biggest club in the championship with the biggest budget, more likely to go back up and a chance to be a hero again.

Now he gets to stay at the back water of derby, will be accused of lacking the bottle to take on a fight. Derby's failure to make the playoffs from a position where they were fighting for the title. Fans are turning on him for the failure, if he gets off to a slow start next year, he's out of work again. For a manager who has been a consistent failure (outside of one season in Holland and a couple of cup runs 10 years ago with boro) that will probably be the last decent sized job he will get.

Not that I wanted him to come here and should we survive, it will be a huge relief that he's effectively ruled himself out of contention. But not sure if he has thought this through from a personal level.

I'm sure I will get lots of "He's right to turn it down due to Ashley etc.." but I'm looking at this from the chance for him to regain some reputation.

Well, he has common sense. It would be foolish for McClaren to come here and take this position at this time. What tactical imprint will he really leave over three weeks? At this point of the season, he is nothing more than a warm body that would hopefully put a bounce into the step of NUFC's downtrodden players. If a new manager was to be appointed, it should have happened two months ago when the situation was tenable. It is not a particularly unique decision for a club on pace for a middling season to allow some lame duck assistant to handle the rest of the campaign, when the manager unexpectedly leaves, so they can wait until close season when there will be more available managers for less money. It could only be at this version of Newcastle, where this assistant ends up with maybe the worst record of any manager in the history of the league and throws everything asunder. No one with other options will come in this position.

Also, if we are to be relegated, Derby are frankly a much more stable option for any manager. Everyone knows Derby's goals for next season, they have a core group of players that will likely remain in 2015-2016 and are familiar with the league. No one knows how this club would handle relegation, there is due to be a large turnover of players regardless, the supporters have protested against the last two managers, and it is unknown what investment strategy Ashley would pursue with lowered revenue (though this is somewhat mitigated by parachute payments).

This being said, the alarmist talk of how any decent manager will not be willing to come (during close season) is false, imo. Well-paid managerial jobs (the NUFC position will be well paid in relative terms across relevant positions) are scarce, managers are not. If the clubs hires a dunce, it will be because of foolish decisions and little else.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/06/newcastle-steve-mcclaren-derby-county-john-carver?

It is believed Ashley let McClaren know it was a case of now or never, so unless the Sports Direct tycoon has a major change of heart and comes back on bended knee with the offer of Premier League football and a hefty salary, then Newcastle will have to find their next head coach from elsewhere.

At least we know there'll be absolutely no plan B as there wasn't when Pardew finally walked because they don't plan for change/non-compliance.

The arrogance of them actually thinking Carver is competent.

Says it's all about the idiots who run the club.

:lol: It'll be Carver. Especially if we manage to stay up. Will be laughs.

'Well done John. It'll be better next season, right?'

'Yep'

'Okay, see you in July!'