Steve McClaren

Dave

It's just the same shit all over again. It this point it's lunacy to expect Ashley to change. We're not going to get a hungry young manager with a penchant for attractive football. Even if we did, for the sake of argument, every transfer window would be the same low ball offers, stringing things out to the last minute, and the window closing with needs left unmet. There is no use listening to any words that come out of Ashley's mouth or his puppets' mouths. It's all proven to be so much watery stool.

Here and elsewhere the sudden change in tone, in the last day or so, of the many trying desperately to convince themselves and others that this is a good appointment. It's indicative of where we are as a club and a fan base and where we shall remain as a club.

:thup:

I wanted Garde but I'm not pissed off at signing McClaren. Out of all the managers we've been linked with he's arguably the man best suited to reap rewards from the way the clubs transfer policy works.

I think if Carr could hand McClaren another group of players equal in quality to Cabaye, Debuchy, Yanga Mbiwa, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Santon, etc then I'd do a 180 degree turn and buy a season ticket for next year.

So assuming McClaren signs, we now have a manager who can work within our transfer policy. He should be able to get the most out of our current squad, or at least more than Pardew did. And he isn't a grade a cunt who makes you want to punch the telly every time he comes on.

I'd be reasonably happy with the appointment if Mike Ashley would spend the rest of the summer NOT selling the likes of Sissoko,  but bringing in proven quality players to play along side him. But let's face it that ain't happening.

I wanted Garde but I'm not pissed off at signing McClaren. Out of all the managers we've been linked with he's arguably the man best suited to reap rewards from the way the clubs transfer policy works.

I think if Carr could hand McClaren another group of players equal in quality to Cabaye, Debuchy, Yanga Mbiwa, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Santon, etc then I'd do a 180 degree turn and buy a season ticket for next year.

So assuming McClaren signs, we now have a manager who can work within our transfer policy. He should be able to get the most out of our current squad, or at least more than Pardew did. And he isn't a grade a cunt who makes you want to punch the telly every time he comes on.

I'd be reasonably happy with the appointment if Mike Ashley would spend the rest of the summer NOT selling the likes of Sissoko,  but bringing in proven quality players to play along side him. But let's face it that ain't happening.

Come on, man. Even if by some miracle that were to happen, you know damn well they'd all be sold off again within a season or two and the cupboard would be as barren as it is now.

I'm not in a position to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do regarding season tickets, having never been a holder myself, but I can't imagine a world in which I'd buy in while Ashley is still the owner.

What a depressing state of affairs. Nothing has changed. Cheap best option we can get that is British and mates with existing staff.

Pros                                                                                          Cons

Works well with youth and has a reputation for it                      Doesn't possess an inspiring personality which is sorely needed to unite fans back to the club

Can attract players here                                                            Won't be a pull for the best players

Is an upgrade on Pardew                                                            Isn't an upgrade on most of the other names linked

Has won something and in this league                                      Has failed at all but two of his managerial roles

Will hopefully bring Steve Round back with him                        Will almost 100% have no issue working with Carver, Stone and Woodman

Likes to play free flowing attacking football                                Pardew also liked to play free flowing football at Reading, Charlton and West Ham.

Knows the area                                                                        His teams have bottled pressure situations at the majority of his positions.

Knows the superiors well                                                          Has as recently as January gone on record to say he hates working under the type of system we have.

Come on, man. Even if by some miracle that were to happen, you know damn well they'd all be sold off again within a season or two and the cupboard would be as barren as it is now.

I'm not in a position to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do regarding season tickets, having never been a holder myself, but I can't imagine a world in which I'd buy in while Ashley is still the owner.

Thats what I was getting at. McClaren is no world beater but he's definately an improvement on Pardew. But it wouldn't matter if we'd signed Garde, Jemez, or Mourinho for that matter if Mike Ashley is still throttling the life out of the club.

Making an issue of McClaren turning us down twice before is getting a bit tiresome.

On the first occasion, it was half way through the season, his club was chasing promotion, and it's perfectly right and proper that he should opt to try and see the task through. On the second occasion, he was asked to take over for the last three games of the season, for a club that was fighting relegation - not exactly a golden opportunity and probably an unwise step for our club to make regardless.

There are two things that give me some optimism. Firstly, he's actually won a league title, a trophy, and reached the final of another competition. That's more than certain managers have achieved.

Secondly, there's the quality of football that Derby were playing - keeping it on the deck and passing it creatively through the midfield. Anyone who denies that either didn't see them at all or caught them on a bad day. That style may not have been characteristic of his earlier career, but perhaps he picked a few things up from his spell on the continent.

I like McClaren, tbh. I think he will do fairly well here if given good players and/or the finances to pursue talent. Also, a much better face for the club than the Pardew character.There are obviously still persistent  and deep issues with the way NUFC is operated, but the manager's seat will have it's best occupant since September 2008, imo.

Yes, I agree.

Also key is that we now have a manager in tune with Carr.

There can therefore be no excuses for not getting players in, and on time, and then having them used properly.

The first thing to see is whether recruitment improves drastically, now there should be no more discord behind the scenes.

Yeah but

It’s not a case of someone getting the job because he’s a friend of a friend or he knows someone.

:thup:

It's not even that their friends for me, but that they respect each others work.

McClaren will value Carr's ability, and will better appreciate the players being brought in, and will be more involved in tha process, and have discussions with him about how to maximise their performances when they join, rather than keep harping on about Bent and Tomkins like that previous idiot did.

Okay the setup hasn't worked so far, but from my viewpoint that was largely down to Pardew's lack of real ability or ingenuity.

Carr has been trying to get in the kind of players we want to see, but the manager had no interest in ever trying to play the football we want to see. it was a major disconnect.

Didn't he sign Bent for Derby?

Making an issue of McClaren turning us down twice before is getting a bit tiresome.

On the first occasion, it was half way through the season, his club was chasing promotion, and it's perfectly right and proper that he should opt to try and see the task through. On the second occasion, he was asked to take over for the last three games of the season, for a club that was fighting relegation - not exactly a golden opportunity and probably an unwise step for our club to make regardless.

There are two things that give me some optimism. Firstly, he's actually won a league title, a trophy, and reached the final of another competition. That's more than certain managers have achieved.

Secondly, there's the quality of football that Derby were playing - keeping it on the deck and passing it creatively through the midfield. Anyone who denies that either didn't see them at all or caught them on a bad day. That style may not have been characteristic of his earlier career, but perhaps he picked a few things up from his spell on the continent.

If he was that great why did he get sacked from a championship club?we are getting him because he failed his objective in the championship,it makes no sense!

If he was that great why did he get sacked from a championship club?we are getting him because he failed his objective in the championship,it makes no sense!

I don't agree with this at all, I don't think he was sacked because he didn't gain promotion. I think it was more the constant links to us.

Seriously baffled as to why at least one person on here said that Derby had the strongest squad in the Championship. They didn't.

If we strengthen where we need to then, personally, I think McClaren will surprise a few people. Not just supporters of our club but fans of others too.

Only reason we are getting him is because he is mates with Graham Carr and because he is cheap and will do as told as he will never get a chance to manage a club of this size. The last five years of his managerial career constitute utter failure. At any self respecting club with a modicum of ambition he wouldn't even be under consideration. I hope this blows up in Ashley & co's faces, because that's exactly what they deserve.

I don't agree with this at all, I don't think he was sacked because he didn't gain promotion. I think it was more the constant links to us.

Seriously baffled as to why at least one person on here said that Derby had the strongest squad in the Championship. They didn't.

If we strengthen where we need to then, personally, I think McClaren will surprise a few people. Not just supporters of our club but fans of others too.

Can't have been that bad. Looking at predictions for the season just gone most had them quite high up, for example: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/08/championship-club-by-club-preview (1st).

Free flowing attacking football, blimey. :lol:

His only Premier League job saw him play exclusively turgid negative stuff. People seem to be forgetting that you can't get out of the Championship trying not to get beat every week.

His remit here will be to finish in mid-table, no better, no worse. The idea of him taking that remit and not going back to what did the same job for him in the past is, imo, a fantasy.