Steve McClaren

Dave

Normally, I would give anyone coming in the benefit of the doubt, but I remembering telling my wife that Carver wouldn't be that bad, so clearly my judgement is impaired. I don't have anything against McClaren, just utterly disappointed at the lack of ambition.

Personally I'm no giving him any benefit of the doubt. Which is kind of against my general outlook on life, where I trust until someone does something that loses that trust. For this guy, I'm definitely in the camp I was in with Carver, where I knew it was going to be crap. There is a slight difference here, though as I am sure he will have a spell where people are sucked into thinking, like they were with Pardew, "well he's actually pretty good, I was wrong". There was no chance whatsover of that happening under Carver. 

Anyway another ill advised appointment in a key position, it's what we do, and we seem to continue to do it despite being burned by the experience over and over again.

I really think this is a miles better appointment that Pardew. Pardew had been out of the game for a fair while (for a reason, he was s****) and if we start to think "he's actually pretty good" about McClaren, it's not that we've been sucked in, it's because he's actually half decent.

Is he really that much better than Pardew ? Pardew got West Ham to a cup final (that people took more seriously than the league cup that McLaren won) and was only an injury time goal away from actually winning it. What is McLaren best final league position in this country as opposed to Pardew's ? Outside of that one season with Twente and of course the league cup win backed up with the UEFA cup final, the highlight of his career has been nearly getting Derby promoted. Something that Mick Mc, Steve Bruce, Paul Jewel, Chris Hughton and a bunch of other world beating managers succeed at.

His last success of any kind is 5 years ago, but his last success in this country is some 10 years ago, he is a washed up has been or even never was that's made a career from being Alex Ferguson's assistant during their spell of dominance.

He should never have been considered for this role, his appointment is not acceptable, but I can sense the general feeling here is moving towards, "he's the best we could have hoped for, and at least it's not Carver". Sad really.

Normally, I would give anyone coming in the benefit of the doubt, but I remembering telling my wife that Carver wouldn't be that bad, so clearly my judgement is impaired. I don't have anything against McClaren, just utterly disappointed at the lack of ambition.

Personally I'm no giving him any benefit of the doubt. Which is kind of against my general outlook on life, where I trust until someone does something that loses that trust. For this guy, I'm definitely in the camp I was in with Carver, where I knew it was going to be crap. There is a slight difference here, though as I am sure he will have a spell where people are sucked into thinking, like they were with Pardew, "well he's actually pretty good, I was wrong". There was no chance whatsover of that happening under Carver. 

Anyway another ill advised appointment in a key position, it's what we do, and we seem to continue to do it despite being burned by the experience over and over again.

I really think this is a miles better appointment that Pardew. Pardew had been out of the game for a fair while (for a reason, he was shite) and if we start to think "he's actually pretty good" about McClaren, it's not that we've been sucked in, it's because he's actually half decent.

Only about 2-3 months iirc. It just felt like that because he was dossing around in League One like he should be.

Was that all it was? For some reason I thought it was a couple of years. God knows where I got that from.

Aye, sacked by Saints at the end of August, took our job beginning of December.

:thup: must have been because he was in League One, as you say.

I think people are trying to make the best of it, mate. What do you suppose they should do?

Pretty much this. He's not by any means the greatest manager, and it's not the most inspiring appointment, but I just want to look forward to Newcastle games again, he supposidly plays decentish football, has a better record then any manager we've appointed in the last 7 years, so if it does have to be McClaren, I can get behind him, even if it is for a few months.

I think people are trying to make the best of it, mate. What do you suppose they should do?

Pretty much this. He's not by any means the greatest manager, and it's not the most inspiring appointment, but I just want to look forward to Newcastle games again, he supposidly plays decentish football, has a better record then any manager we've appointed in the last 7 years, so if it does have to be McClaren, I can get behind him, even if it is for a few months.

I just think we're far too deep in the shit to be angry about anything as pedestrian as an unexciting managerial appointment. It's like complaining that your wifi signal is weak when the house is on fire.

I really think this is a miles better appointment that Pardew. Pardew had been out of the game for a fair while (for a reason, he was s****) and if we start to think "he's actually pretty good" about McClaren, it's not that we've been sucked in, it's because he's actually half decent.

Is he really that much better than Pardew ? Pardew got West Ham to a cup final (that people took more seriously than the league cup that McLaren won) and was only an injury time goal away from actually winning it. What is McLaren best final league position in this country as opposed to Pardew's ? Outside of that one season with Twente and of course the league cup win backed up with the UEFA cup final, the highlight of his career has been nearly getting Derby promoted. Something that Mick Mc, Steve Bruce, Paul Jewel, Chris Hughton and a bunch of other world beating managers succeed at.

His last success of any kind is 5 years ago, but his last success in this country is some 10 years ago, he is a washed up has been or even never was that's made a career from being Alex Ferguson's assistant during their spell of dominance.

He should never have been considered for this role, his appointment is not acceptable, but I can sense the general feeling here is moving towards, "he's the best we could have hoped for, and at least it's not Carver". Sad really.

You realise you've just excluded every one of his achievements to come to the conclusion that he's no better than Pardew, right? Outside of his success at Twente/outside of winning the league cup/outside of getting into the UEFA cup final... You've excluded 3 achievements greater than the achievement you've listed as McClaren's greatest achievement.

I don't think he's a spectacular appointment by any stretch, but I also don't think he's just a case of "well, he's better than Carver". Given where we are at this time, he's a step in the right direction. He's a manager that's had some success, and has been seen to play a style of football that the fans might actually like. It's not ideal as we all know we should be aiming much higher in ideal circumstances (i.e. Ashley has fucked off), but it's a step in the right direction (in my opinion, of course).

Also, has it been confirmed he's having to keep the existing staff? I think I missed that.

Stop accepting it, it's this kind of attitude we see at SJP, when first the Pardew.out guys now the Ashley.out guys try to organise some form of protest, most everyone just sits on their hands.

Stop making the best of it and view it for what it actually is?

Well that's it really, there's no right way to look at it. You can either remain cynical and disillusioned by an underwhelming and expected appointment, or you can try and find a glimmer of hope that the new guy is going to come in and improve us. I'm not going to tell anyone which way to look at it as everyone's entitled to view it as they please, and are also well within their rights to remain cynical given the shite we've been through.

Personally though, I'm fed up with both wanting us to lose and even when I don't want us to lose, having to put up with shocking football. At this moment I'm going to look for that glimmer of hope.

When McClaren was first touted a few months back I would have been reasonably pleased with the appointment as I do somewhat admire him as a coach. The absolute dullness of the situation has taken over now. Vieira rumours aroused and then we revert back to MC foreign accent syndrome. Sigh.

Stop making the best of it and view it for what it actually is?

Well that's it really, there's no right way to look at it. You can either remain cynical and disillusioned by an underwhelming and expected appointment, or you can try and find a glimmer of hope that the new guy is going to come in and improve us. I'm not going to tell anyone which way to look at it as everyone's entitled to view it as they please, and are also well within their rights to remain cynical given the shite we've been through.

Personally though, I'm fed up with both wanting us to lose and even when I don't want us to lose, having to put up with shocking football. At this moment I'm going to look for that glimmer of hope.

That glimmer of hope isn't there. It's all coming across as weak and delusional.

It doesn't make the blind bit of difference who the manager is, hoping a manager will lead us yo glory while working under Ashley is just wrong

It would make a difference. However a successful manager would just be let go for raising fans expectations which would lead to more demand for spending money. Appointing someone like McClaren just allows Ashley to put his feet up and rake in the TV money and see his company grow through free exposure.

You realise you've just excluded every one of his achievements to come to the conclusion that he's no better than Pardew, right? Outside of his success at Twente/outside of winning the league cup/outside of getting into the UEFA cup final... You've excluded 3 achievements greater than the achievement you've listed as McClaren's greatest achievement.

I don't think he's a spectacular appointment by any stretch, but I also don't think he's just a case of "well, he's better than Carver". Given where we are at this time, he's a step in the right direction. He's a manager that's had some success, and has been seen to play a style of football that the fans might actually like. It's not ideal as we all know we should be aiming much higher in ideal circumstances (i.e. Ashley has f***ed off), but it's a step in the right direction (in my opinion, of course).

Also, has it been confirmed he's having to keep the existing staff? I think I missed that.

No what I said was that the League cup win was perhaps equal in value to Pardew's FA cup final appearance. The UEFA cup final appearance was noteworthy but we've played in that competition to know that there is enough crap teams their that for an English PL club making the QF should be the minimum expectation, then it's all about the luck of the draw. The season at Twente when he won the league is the only thing that suggested he's better than Pardew. It's certainly not a forgone conclusion though that he is. Had that been the case he would have been managing in the PL these last 10 seasons since he lost the England job. If you compare his PL record to Pardew's, Pardew probably knicks it. And that's what is really relevant.

I don't see how you can look at getting to the UEFA cup final with Boro and say "meh."

There's no comparison between McClaren and Pardew really. They're only similar if, as Lenny mentioned, you arbitrarily distinguish all of his major achievements as irrelevant.

Guest ElCid

He's a totally shocking appointment and I just cannot understand how some are saying they can accept it - just a pure piss take from the fact cunt after spouting total shit on the tv. He is on a par with Pardew and even that is debatable. He hot sacked not resigned but sacked from a Championship club because he was not up to the job - total shit by a mickey mouse regime.

He's alright, if he doesn't let his ego stop him using Carr's signings properly than we'll likely be significantly better than under Pardew. Less shock wins but less horrible thrashings as well. Obviously not an exciting choice though, and doesn't change the overall direction like we maybe hoped.

I don't see how you can look at getting to the UEFA cup final with Boro and say "meh."

There's no comparison between McClaren and Pardew really. They're only similar if, as Lenny mentioned, you arbitrarily distinguish all of his major achievements as irrelevant.

This is part of the problem. We should never be measuring a manager by how he compares to two giant turds.

Guest ElCid

Unreal totally unreal - he's a total fucking Muppet man.

That UEFA Cup run was the luckiest I have ever seen. Massimo Maccorrone must've scored 4 goals in injury time in various matches. No tactical masterstrokes  or anything. Every time he just put 4 up top and they scored lucky goals.

Hodgson got his club into the UEFA Cup final and he's a dinosaur of a manager too.