Steve McClaren

Dave

We've played like we had one, and we did have one until 2010. Personally I'd rather not have a target man, or play like we have one.

I'm not against having a target man, you don't need to play negative football with one by any means.

For instance, I'd count both Giroud and Negredo as target man and Arsenal nor Valencia play 'direct' by any means.

Giroud isn't a target man

Not in the dominant Shearer and Drogba sense, but his role his hold the ball up and be a "target" and lay the ball off to those around him.

So from a very loose point of view he is, still though i do agree with the general notion that a target man doesn't mean the football has to be complete and utter dishwater and negative as f***.

Loose POV?

Hold up the ball. Bring others into play. A target to build around = definition of a target man lol.

Don't get into semantics, i know you love it but it's boring. You know what i meant exactly.

I really don’t. What is your definition of a target man? Giroud ticks nearly every box lol. What’s loose about it? Especially when it's the definitive factor in him being in the team.

Carr's sort of put himself on the line with this. Not really, because I'm sure Ashley and Charnley won't touch him even if this goes south. But, hypothetically, he's put himself on the line with this.

No doubt. This is all on Carr for sure.

He's the most capable football person we have though, and so it is best that way.

let's see what happens.

Carr's sort of put himself on the line with this. Not really, because I'm sure Ashley and Charnley won't touch him even if this goes south. But, hypothetically, he's put himself on the line with this.

Well he should be accountable for the players he recommends. With Pardew gone and a like minded manager in place there's nowhere to hide if it goes tits up.

Pros:

Good track record in cup competitions, which is our biggest chance of winning anything, provided the club actually permit a cup run this season.

Is capable of playing a more attractive brand of football and isn't by any means a long ball man.

Isn't afraid of using flair players and generally tends to favour a more attacking lineup.

His ties with Carr could mean that they could generally be more in sync on transfer picks and potentially more funds being released.

Has brought mild success to the NE before in form of a cup win for Boro, can he replicate this?

Cons:

Very much another yes man appointment.

Won't be be able to push us on to the next level even we spend 100 million (IMO)

He is a passionless manager, or at least comes across in that way.

Another Pardew in terms of ability, hes certainly and improvement but more of a mid table man than a top 6 challenger.

He's a bit of a knacker.

he won the league in Holland which is the Dutch equivalent of the SPL.

Except that he wasn't managing the Old Firm. It's like winning the SPL with Dundee. McClaren's record is very spotty, but winning the Dutch league with Twentee was a damn impressive achievement.

Pros:

Good track record in cup competitions, which is our biggest chance of winning anything, provided the club actually permit a cup run this season.

Is capable of playing a more attractive brand of football and isn't by any means a long ball man.

Isn't afraid of using flair players and generally tends to favour a more attacking lineup.

His ties with Carr could mean that they could generally be more in sync on transfer picks and potentially more funds being released.

Has brought mild success to the NE before in form of a cup win for Boro, can he replicate this?

Cons:

Very much another yes man appointment.

Won't be be able to push us on to the next level even we spend 100 million (IMO)

He is a passionless manager, or at least comes across in that way.

Another Pardew in terms of ability, hes certainly and improvement but more of a mid table man than a top 6 challenger.

He's a bit of a knacker.

Think that's a fair assessment, other that him being on par with Pardew ability wise.

The Eredivisie might well be like the SPL but he effectively won it with Dundee United, it was an impressive feat that shouldn't be downplayed. He did achieve it in a fairly negative manner mind, his team scored about 40 goals less than the team in second, but a real achievement nevertheless.

His cup runs at Boro don't mean anything more than Alex McLeish, Graeme Souness, Roberto Di Matteo and Avram Grant's ability to win a few games in a particular competition during a shit league season. Just ignore them.

FWIW McClaren himself agrees:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/8578840/brits-abroad-steve-mcclaren

I was fortunate to win things with Manchester United as an assistant and then to be involved with England. I won that first trophy at Middlesbrough and then was lucky enough to get to a UEFA Cup final there. But I always thought the true measure of a coach is managing the season.

I'd seen a team win a league at Manchester United and I wanted to do it myself. To do it in Holland especially was fantastic. To go through a 34-game programme, ending with the title, was exactly what I wanted to achieve and one of the main goals of my career.

Winning that league is almost comparable to Pardew finishing 5th.

Brilliant job followed by failure in Germany. Failure back in Holland.

Fucking hell man. Seriously?

:facepalm:

Unbelievable, I would be interest to hear your take on how McClaren actually won that league with Twente. Was it simply his management genius, did he inherit a great group of players ? Did he just get lucky ?  What style of play did they adopt, always negative or positive, attacking or dour ? Equally why did he fail on his second time around ?

Unbelievable, I would be interest to hear your take on how McClaren actually won that league with Twente. Was it simply his management genius, did he inherit a great group of players ? Did he just get lucky ?  What style of play did they adopt, always negative or positive, attacking or dour ? Equally why did he fail on his second time around ?

My brother in law has a FC Twente season ticket. He says that although McClaren came in at just the right time (decent squad, owner willing to spend) his experience and motivation skills were crucial in their winning title bid in 2010. However, he has also said that the football was very result oriented (read boring) with clean sheets the main priority. This was his downfall in his second stint in charge, as results were disappointing and the football on display wasn’t much better.

My brother in law has a FC Twente season ticket. He says that although McClaren came in at just the right time (decent squad, owner willing to spend) his experience and motivation skills were crucial in their winning title bid in 2010. However, he has also said that the football was very result oriented (read boring) with clean sheets the main priority. This was his downfall in his second stint in charge, as results were disappointing and the football on display wasn’t much better.

Interesting thanks man, I'm still no more convinced about him, sounds like a pardewesq philosophy then of keeping it tight at the back and hoping for a bit of magic, great :(

Interesting thanks man, I'm still no more convinced about him, sounds like a pardewesq philosophy then of keeping it tight at the back and hoping for a bit of magic, great :(

Pardew was shit scared of the job. I don't think McClaren will have the same fear.

Guest thenorthumbrian

McClaren, "it could have been worse"

Perhaps that should be the motto of the club now.