The January Deadline Day Thread

Keefaz

Alan Hutton rejects improved offer from Tottenham

Graham Spiers

Alan Hutton, the Rangers full back, yesterday rejected a move to Tottenham Hotspur for the second time in five days. The 23-year-old Scotland international insisted that he wants to stay at Ibrox.

Tottenham had made a bid of at least £8 million for Hutton and are believed to have offered improved personal terms that would have seen the defender paid twice as much at White Hart Lane than at Ibrox. Nevertheless, Hutton wants to remain in Glasgow.

After immediately rejecting Tottenham’s initial approach last week and then asking for more time to consider it, Hutton, who has also been linked with Manchester United, appears unlikely to get another chance to move to North London. A spokesman for the club said last night: “We have no further interest in Alan Hutton.”

That turn of events may cause consternation within Rangers, whose chairman, Sir David Murray, wants to sell the player. With the £8 million for the defender, Rangers could do considerable transfer business themselves and are faintly piqued that Hutton is digging in his heels about staying put.

Murray summoned Hutton to his Edinburgh office – ordering him not to bring his agent – this week to discuss a possible move to North London. Hutton, to Murray’s irritation, told him that he was happy playing for Rangers and wanted to remain at the club, at least until the summer.

The Hutton saga has also left Walter Smith in an awkward situation. On the one hand, the Rangers manager values Hutton’s talent as he tries to push the club towards their first silverware in three years. On the other, Smith accepts that £8 million is a significant amount to recoup for the player, especially as Rangers spent £2 million in the summer on Steven Whittaker, another right back.

“There is the football aspect and there is the financial aspect,” Smith said. “No one at Rangers wants Alan to leave. But sometimes you reach a situation where the financial offer just becomes an acceptable one.”

Rangers were even believed to be prepared to give Hutton a financial cut of the deal to leave for Spurs, but this was also stonewalled by the player. It would appear that Hutton, reared in the football hotbed of the West of Scotland, is highly reluctant to leave the environment.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/tottenham/article3156075.ece

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now who is throwing money at players out of desperation?

A NO is a NO damn it!!!

:lol:

;D

Teamtalk has the story...

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3032405,00.html

Allardyce: Toon duo not for sale

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has moved to warn off clubs thinking of making bids for Steven Taylor or Obafemi Martins.

Tottenham are believed to be ready to ask about the 21-year-old's availability after being rebuffed by Middlesbrough over an enquiry about England international Jonathan Woodgate.

However, Allardyce has told the Evening Chronicle: "While they say everybody has got his price, I can tell them that Steven Taylor is not for sale."

Taylor is out of contract at the end of the season and has as yet been unable to agree a new deal with the club at which he emerged from the academy.

Allardyce worked hard during the summer to bring in defenders Abdoulaye Faye, Habib Beye, Claudio Cacapa, David Rozehnal and Jose Enrique.

However, Taylor's progression has been such that he has not only established himself as a crowd favourite but also as a key member of the team.

The Greenwich-born but Tyneside-raised player has repeatedly spoken of his desire to remain at the club but despite several rounds of talks between his father Alf and the club, no new agreement has been reached.

Spurs are not alone in their admiration of the youngster with West Ham and Chelsea also said to be keeping an eye on his situation.

That could prove the catalyst for Newcastle, having moved to tie up the likes of James Milner, Charles N'Zogbia and Nicky Butt in recent months, to finally conclude the matter.

Meanwhile, Allardyce has also insisted striker Obafemi Martins is not for sale amid reports both Aston Villa and Manchester City are monitoring his situation.

The Nigeria international, who is currently away at a national team training camp in Malaga ahead of the African Nations Cup, was heavily linked with a move away from St James' Park during the summer after it was revealed there was a £13million get-out clause in his contract.

However, Allardyce said: "We have had no contact with Villa or City about Obafemi Martins, but I can tell them - and anybody else, for that matter - that he is not for sale."

Oops...beaten to it!

That article is wrong. Taylor is not out of contract at the end of the season.

Guest LucaAltieri

Maniche to Inter is all but done. Having medical this afternoon.

Initially a loan deal until the end of the season.

They will pay the player 3.2 million euros. - I haven't understood if that's his wages until the end of the season or if he will sign a permanent contract later.

Either way, he'll be an Inter player by tonight/tomorrow.

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has declared that he wants to sign Roma winger Amantino Mancini this month.

The Brazilian star is virtually certain to leave the Giallorossi either in this transfer window or in the summer after negotiations to extend his contract collapsed.

With the 27-year-old’s current deal running out in 2009, Roma will be forced to sell in order to prevent him leaving on a free next year.

Manchester City are looking to strengthen their squad and Eriksson admits that he is desperate to sign the ex-Venezia man as soon as possible.

"I want Mancini immediately at City," Eriksson told Il Romanista.

"Amantino is ideal in order to strengthen Manchester City. He may become my Cristiano Ronaldo.

“I know that the negotiations for the renewal of his contract are at a dead end, but we have not talked to [his agent] Veloz.”

It is believed that any deal to bring Mancini to City will cost the Premiership-outfit around £16m.

“Finding the money will not be a problem,” Eriksson pointed out.

“The only question is will Roma sell?”

Mancini has been an important player for the capital-outfit since 2003, however his form has dipped this season due to the stresses over his contract and future.

http://www.ilromanista.it/GONPDF/2008/01/09/RM0901PRI_01S.jpg

Headline = Eriksson: "I want Mancini immediately"

Interest seems pretty concrete...does anyone have any opinions on this guy as a player. Any good? Only time I've seen him was scoring this goal with a bajillion stepovers against Lyon.

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has declared that he wants to sign Roma winger Amantino Mancini this month.

The Brazilian star is virtually certain to leave the Giallorossi either in this transfer window or in the summer after negotiations to extend his contract collapsed.

With the 27-year-old’s current deal running out in 2009, Roma will be forced to sell in order to prevent him leaving on a free next year.

Manchester City are looking to strengthen their squad and Eriksson admits that he is desperate to sign the ex-Venezia man as soon as possible.

"I want Mancini immediately at City," Eriksson told Il Romanista.

"Amantino is ideal in order to strengthen Manchester City. He may become my Cristiano Ronaldo.

“I know that the negotiations for the renewal of his contract are at a dead end, but we have not talked to [his agent] Veloz.”

It is believed that any deal to bring Mancini to City will cost the Premiership-outfit around £16m.

“Finding the money will not be a problem,” Eriksson pointed out.

“The only question is will Roma sell?”

Mancini has been an important player for the capital-outfit since 2003, however his form has dipped this season due to the stresses over his contract and future.

Headline = Eriksson: "I want Mancini immediately"

Interest seems pretty concrete...does anyone have any opinions on this guy as a player. Any good? Only time I've seen him was scoring this goal with a bajillion stepovers against Lyon.

Mancici is quality, when he's arsed.. i wouldn't say that he's the most consistent performer, but then again, the very definition of inconsistency - Martin Petrov is doing well at City, so maybe Mancini would be a good capture too..

he plays on the left of the three attacking mids that Roma play with, but back in time started as a right back, so he's a good overall player, which is important for the premier league..

he's apparently in some sort of a conflict with Totti, but there have been noises about him leaving for the last couple of years and he's still at the club. Anyways, Roma are not in position to decline a good offer, so my guess is that if Sven really wants him, he won't have any trouble getting him..

Guest LucaAltieri

Inter have a f****** class squad like.

they might be signing Almiron from Juve too,most of their squad it seems are made up of  Argies, hardly any italians in their first team bar materazzi

Read today Almiron will be off on loan to Monaco with an option to buy for 7 million Euros. Just a rumour at this stage, though. Also linked with River Plate and Olympiacos.

Palermo have resisted offers from Manchester City, Fulham and Everton for Mark Bresciano as well as Fiorentina and Sampdoria in Italy. They were looking to buy him for €4m, but Palermo are holding out for €8m.

Spurs bid for Woodgate turned down

Spurs never bid for Woodgate, just asked if he might be available, just like the enquiry about Taylor.

Boro have got competition for Fred, the Lyon President is at WHL now.

How do you know all this?

Spurs never bid for Woodgate, just asked if he might be available, just like the enquiry about Taylor.

My sister in law told me.  She works at WHL.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2008/20080109_130842Dev.html

Could mean Defoe will definately be going, although it is in the very early stages of any deal happening between Spurs and Lyon. I take it there is also interest from PSG as well?

My sister in law told me.  She works at WHL.

Berbie must be leaving so...or Defoe!Dont understand ye...need a keeper+defenders desperately,midfielders as well but the one place ya re well covered decide to strenghten more!!