Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/04/24/Prem-Bilic-on-Modric/

Bilic backs Magpies' Modric bid

by Jure Bohoric, 24 April 2008

Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has backed Newcastle United's bid to sign midfielder Luka Modric.

The exciting Dinamo Zagreb starlet is likely to move to a bigger club in the near future and Bilic is keen that it happens sooner rather than later.

The former West Ham and Everton defender has spoken highly of Kevin Keegan's Magpies and believes they could provide the perfect platform for the 22-year-old if a reported £12 million move goes through.

"I would be very happy if Luka finds a new club before Euro 2008," stressed Bilic.

"Well, I would want this for all of my players who are looking for new clubs and are at the end of their contracts.

"As for Luka, Newcastle United are no doubt a big club - just behind the top five.

"Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton.

"NUFC are in the range of Chelsea, Leeds United and Aston Villa but can invest a lot more money in new signings than let's say Tottenham.

<b>"Also it's more likely that Newcastle will be English champions than Tottenham.</b>

"Luka wouldn't be making a mistake if he signs for The Magpies."

Guest float one in

I just can't understand why Zagreb would be keen to sell him before the Euro - am I missing something? As Parky said in the article on the main page, his value is likely to go up after the tournament, as he probably will play well as part of a strong Croatia midfield.

Guest Jawesome

When he breaks his leg in the first minute of Croatia's opening game, aye, that would be interesting.

Sorry, but did Bilic just mention Leeds, and put Everton as a bigger club than Chelsea?  I want this guy to be manager of us one day.

Guest Supersylt

Anyone else get the feeling that this is a sort of Rooney scenario all over again?

Talked about it with a friend earlier today  ???

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/04/24/Prem-Bilic-on-Modric/

Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has backed Newcastle United's bid to sign midfielder Luka Modric.

The exciting Dinamo Zagreb starlet is likely to move to a bigger club in the near future and Bilic is keen that it happens sooner rather than later.

The former West Ham and Everton defender has spoken highly of Kevin Keegan's Magpies and believes they could provide the perfect platform for the 22-year-old if a reported £12 million move goes through.

"I would be very happy if Luka finds a new club before Euro 2008," stressed Bilic.

"Well, I would want this for all of my players who are looking for new clubs and are at the end of their contracts.

"As for Luka, Newcastle United are no doubt a big club - just behind the top five.

"NUFC are in the range of Chelsea, Leeds United and Aston Villa but can invest a lot more money in new signings than let's say Tottenham.

<b>"Also it's more likely that Newcastle will be English champions than Tottenham.</b>

Get in Big Slav. Reading those last few lines made my day.

I just can't understand why Zagreb would be keen to sell him before the Euro - am I missing something? As Parky said in the article on the main page, his value is likely to go up after the tournament, as he probably will play well as part of a strong Croatia midfield.

I'd think it's more him wanting to leave so he can relax and concentrate on his game at the euro's with pressure from Bilic.

I officially love Slaven Bilic now :D.

Players sorting out there futures in the middle of a big tournament isn't tyhe greatest thing in the world.  Im sure the national manager doesnt like it.

What? Is he just talking about tradition here?

he spent 3 years at everton

Probably hasn't watched the league since he left Newcastle's Unofficial 2nd Reserves.

he spent 3 years at everton

I'm just wondering how Chelsea aren't considered top 5. Strange.

"Modric was accompanied to Newcastle on Tuesday by Zagreb vice-chairman Zdravko Mamic, who happens to be the brother of his agent."

We were wondering last night why the vice president would be negotiating his contract, this might have something to do with it.

Mystery solved.

Yep! same here haha, slaven bilic appreciation thread in order, no?

:D

"NUFC are in the range of Chelsea, Leeds United and Aston Villa but can invest a lot more money in new signings than let's say Tottenham."Also it's more likely that Newcastle will be English champions than Tottenham.

??????

Guess he hasn't watched the league since the season of 99/00

Guest optimistic nit

Anyone else get the feeling that this is a sort of Rooney scenario all over again?

not really. i am not sure that we will sign him mind, bu we do actually want him and he is attainable. the croatian coach reccomending him to go to newcastle can only do us favours though, presuming it isn't a front.

Most definitely, top manager as well as a top man

Sounds like both Billic and Maric are both recommending the lad to newcastle, as well as Krancjar to england.

If he has been to Newcastle i will feel a little bit more confident but there's no real proof of that.

All the papers are reporting that we have agreed a fee and i think it's fair to say,that it's from more than one source too. However, alot are claiming that we have not agreed a wage yet.

Let me ask you this. If your paying 20+m for a player do you really think we will struggle to agree his wages? It's a negotiation proccess, it doesn't happen in one day.