Nicky Butt your time is up

TRon

Its not Butts fault, but howay he is getting on and still tires his best, I still say decent squad player and good enough to have on the bench.

Smith tries his best as well, and he's another waste of f***ing space on the pitch.

Butt is a much much btter player than Smith though, Hull want Smith anyway so one problem sorted :D

I'm not sure Butt is much better than Smith anymore. He's been woeful all season imo.

no i think he is

Guest aoliversaknob

unfortuunately butts continual selcetion at centre mid is a sign of the gross miss managament of our club over the last number of years.  With constant changing of managers no long term planning into player replacement occurs and so we are left with a player who should be a squad player at best or moved on another club. You cannot argue that since his return form birmingham Butt has always appeared to be one of the more motivated and professional of the players on the pitch who always gives 100%.

The question of his legs, skill, technique still being up to the level expected to play centre mid for nufc is not his problem. It would have been decided for him at another club who are not in such turmoil with such a paper thin squad.

Butt has done ok; but go back 3/ 4 years and he was no-where near our first team and but for Brum's relegation would have been sold. That's how far we have gone back. When SBR was here we were over loaded with decent midfield players. Souness came in and started shipping them out and took the pace out of the side.

What Butt has done has been to cost us points with stupid challenges; he was unlucky against Hull but yday the challenge was pre-meditated & you have to question why he did it. Diouf was going into the box but by no means was he certain the score.

Team selection on Tuesday will be interesting. If Butt is still carrying any kind of knock Barton will start & I'd expect Jonas to start as well. I'd have Geremi on the bench, Duff on the right and tell him it's now or never. Tuesday is a massive game.

Butt has done ok; but go back 3/ 4 years and he was no-where near our first team and but for Brum's relegation would have been sold. That's how far we have gone back. When SBR was here we were over loaded with decent midfield players. Souness came in and started shipping them out and took the pace out of the side.

What Butt has done has been to cost us points with stupid challenges; he was unlucky against Hull but yday the challenge was pre-meditated & you have to question why he did it. Diouf was going into the box but by no means was he certain the score.

Team selection on Tuesday will be interesting. If Butt is still carrying any kind of knock Barton will start & I'd expect Jonas to start as well. I'd have Geremi on the bench, Duff on the right and tell him it's now or never. Tuesday is a massive game.

true he wasn't certain to score but he would have been clean through on goal. most experienced players would have done the same thing.

true he wasn't certain to score but he would have been clean through on goal. most experienced players would have done the same thing.

That might be the case but the part you highlighted was probably the least important part of the post. Tsunami is right, Souness dismantled a midfield which had pace and energy in midfield. No surprise that a midfield of Duff, Butt, Guthrie and Geremi doesn't quite have counter-punching sting of Robert, Jenas, Dyer and Solano.

That might be the case but the part you highlighted was probably the least important part of the post. Tsunami is right, Souness dismantled a midfield which had pace and energy in midfield. No surprise that a midfield of Duff, Butt, Guthrie and Geremi doesn't quite have counter-punching sting of Robert, Jenas, Dyer and Solano.

true but is that all down to butt ?

fwiw even i would drop him on tuesday but i don't think he's been anywhere near as bad as some are making out.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

As useless as Butt is. Is Guthrie any better? I don't think so. We're woefully short of options in central midfield.

Guest Washington_Mag

As useless as Butt is. Is Guthrie any better? I don't think so. We're woefully short of options in central midfield.

Guthrie's job is to run around for 90 minutes and give the opposition the ball back.

Guthrie's difficult to work out. Against Everton he was superb at keeping possesion and helped us pen them in at times. Against City and the mackems he was anonymous. Having said that, Butt is his partner, which can't help.

Guthrie's difficult to work out. Against Everton he was superb at keeping possesion and helped us pen them in at times. Against City and the mackems he was anonymous. Having said that, Butt is his partner, which can't help.

Neither did the early booking (which I thought was harsh). He was always likely to be quiet after that.

Neither did the early booking (which I thought was harsh). He was always likely to be quiet after that.

Fair point. If he hadn't been booked I think he'd have tripped Diouf 35 yards or so out instead of pulling out of the tackle as he had to in the build up to their 2nd goal.

Fair point. If he hadn't been booked I think he'd have tripped Diouf 35 yards or so out instead of pulling out of the tackle as he had to in the build up to their 2nd goal.

Never!

Never!

I enjoy stating the obvious

Never!

:laugh:

Surely time for a username change after yesterday, by the way? Your lack of knee-jerkiness is most disappointing.

Never!

Surely time for a username change after yesterday, by the way? Your lack of knee-jerkiness is most disappointing.

Wullie gave me this burden in the hope it'd see Duff fuck off (like it did Woodgate, Parker & Bellamy) but so far it's been to no avail.

Never!

Wullie gave me this burden in the hope it'd see Duff fuck off (like it did Woodgate, Parker & Bellamy) but so far it's been to no avail.

Typical. :hmm:

Look at what he cost - he's NOT a top midfielder and sums up much of the side ; decent, but nothing outstanding.

You don't get players of his age on the cheap if they are any good.

If Owen was on the field, he would have gone off imo, JK doesn't want to take off the team's motivator cause apart from Shay there's nobody else to take the armband.

On the mackem's second goal, if Butt had done his job properly then he wouldn't have been making that tackle from the back, he would have been making it from the front.

he really was dire against the mackems

all he did was hoof the ball up the pitch and hope martins was able to grab onto it. shocking

and he cost us a goal with that stupid foul on the edge of the box.

Look at what he cost - he's NOT a top midfielder and sums up much of the side ; decent, but nothing outstanding.

You don't get players of his age on the cheap if they are any good.

I like Guthrie but I don't think he has enough about his game to be used in the playmaker role. It would be worth giving him a go in Butt's role in front of the back four.