England team for Wednesday - Owen dropped

Dave

Lots of positives. I liked the formation and we seemed committed to keeping the ball on the deck.

There's always been this problem with English defenders that they're generally not very good on the ball. Capello will be used to dealing with 10 players who are all competent technically. Ashley Cole and Brown both looked out of place tonight.

Owen will struggle to get into this side because he doesn't suit Capello's formation, and he's not playing well at the moment anyway. It's such a relief that we've at last got a manager who's strong minded enough to ignore reputations. The test will come when we have a bad result, and everyone's going to be screaming for us to go back to 4-4-2 with Owen. Capello's on the right lines and should stick to his guns.

A bit unimpressed if i'm quite honest, but it's understandable that we weren't scintillating given the circumstances. But we were really nowhere near in reality, we really plodded along against a very average outfit. One or two really good performances but i wasn't sure about the formation at all; where were Bentley/SWP/Rooney all supposed to be in that second half? Thought his subs were a bit naff tbh and he should have gone 4-4-2. There were periods in the first half where we passed it well, but considering the short passing game we were supposed to be playing, there was little fluidity.

Out-standing thoughts: Would have liked to have seen Young come on earlier. Thought Jenas was sloppy. Thought Bentley was OK, nothing more nothing less. Unsure about the substitutions on the whole; (eg, not sure what he'll have learnt from seeing 15 mins of Wayne Bridge). Disappointed Owen didn't feature at all but not heartbroken. Gerrard's overrated and Motson's a twat.

Still, early days and all that. Shame we don't have a run of fixtures for a while (well, not from a club point of view).

4-5-1 was the formation tonight and it stayed that way throughout all the substitutions that were made.

Owen might be done as he won't be played as a lone striker by Capello I don't think, and he can't play out wide.

4-5-1 was the formation tonight and it stayed that way throughout all the substitutions that were made.

It won't stay like that for long if the players can't cope with a crowded midfield, which was pretty evident at times tonight. Quite sloppy in possession.

I know it's not really possible to make a fair judgement from the TV... but 87,000 in there tonight. Sounded dead; and i don't think i've ever heard much of an atmosphere at the new Wembley as yet. Fair enough, the football's been shite, but 87,000? Even with Jenas' goal, sounded more like a "wey" than a "yey". (Nice terminology, i know :coolsmiley: )

There is one English striker good enough to play up front in any kind of lone striker situation: Peter Crouch.  I think Crouch/Rooney, Owen/Crouch, or possibly Rooney/Owen could make good combos, but don't put anyone as a solo striker except Crouch.  Not only is he very good technically, for when you want to play slick passing football, he's a dynamo in the air.  Things would have gone much better tonight if he'd started there instead of Rooney.  End of story.

Rooney also played on the left towards the end, which made no sense, but I thought he made decent selections throughout the midfield and attack.  It turned into more of a 4231 because both Gerrard and Barry hung back so much.  3 of the 4 defenders should not have started: remove Brown, Upson, and Cole, replace with Lescott, Woodgate, and Richards, and I reckon the foundation there would have been a lot better to go forward.  Lescott and Richards get forward a lot better than Brown and Cole.

crouch should never play as a striker for england; why cant managers see he has such a weak finish. After 4? years in the premiership shy has he developed no leg muscle? He makes me look like arnie! (aand i was nicknamed skeletor at school i was so thin!)

He should be no more than an advanced midfielder to link play, as he usually passes well....his passing was very mixed last night.

Hopefully last night capello was playing an experimental side, and crouch is only a fringe player.

Joe cole was class and bentley did well. 

Would rather parker in the side than jenas!

There is one English striker good enough to play up front in any kind of lone striker situation: Peter Crouch.  I think Crouch/Rooney, Owen/Crouch, or possibly Rooney/Owen could make good combos, but don't put anyone as a solo striker except Crouch.  Not only is he very good technically, for when you want to play slick passing football, he's a dynamo in the air.  Things would have gone much better tonight if he'd started there instead of Rooney.  End of story.

Rooney also played on the left towards the end, which made no sense, but I thought he made decent selections throughout the midfield and attack.  It turned into more of a 4231 because both Gerrard and Barry hung back so much.  3 of the 4 defenders should not have started: remove Brown, Upson, and Cole, replace with Lescott, Woodgate, and Richards, and I reckon the foundation there would have been a lot better to go forward.  Lescott and Richards get forward a lot better than Brown and Cole.

I know Ashley Cole had a fairly poor game but there's no way that Lescott is a better attacking full back than him.

Richards>Brown though.

Massive kick in the arse for Owen but it could work two ways, may be a wake up call that makes him give his all every game to try and gain his place back or he may look at being here as a non starter for him and chances on goal will be few and far between so he may see a move as his best option..

I don't see how a move now would benefit Owen. No one is going to come close to his wages here, and I can't see any clubs that might want him making him anymore attractive to England than he is here. At least now under Keegan the team are likely to be playing to his strengths, so to me he needs to choose either fight for his place again and prove his worth, or just accept mediocrity.

Can't see anything other than Owen leaving on a Bosman in a year and a bit. Signing on fee and big wages being the main motivation because I can't see him achieving a lot in the game from now on. The England goalscoring record looks a long way away now.

Joe Cole or Rooney man of the match for me, they never stopped running all neet.

I thought Joe Cole was a class act last night, was disappointed to see him go off. Probably the most entertaining England friendly I've seen since the Argentina game, we looked like a decent team who were comfortable in posession and capable of creating chances.

were some fans booing??? if so, how f****** ridiculous.

Yes they were a few times and picking on Gerrard above others maybe its the N/S divide thing and totally uncalled  for imho (possibly Chelski fans and the captaincy thing at a long shot ).

Can't see anything other than Owen leaving on a Bosman in a year and a bit. Signing on fee and big wages being the main motivation because I can't see him achieving a lot in the game from now on. The England goalscoring record looks a long way away now.

Is he 10 goals away?

This could be a good kick up the arse to him.

On the plus side, Owen is going to have to come to terms with the fact he isn't valued that highly any more. No one is going to pay a fee for him and he isn't going to a major club in this country IMO. Man City and the like will be his best option or stay here and be part of Keegan's revolution - assuming he's in Keegan's long term plans which is by no means certain.