Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Guest JamesD

Edson Buddle.

Quick, strong, good movement and decent finisher. Scored 11 in his last 9 games.

No please...

Guest Heneage

Edson Buddle.

Quick, strong, good movement and decent finisher. Scored 11 in his last 9 games.

Ruud? Gullit? Is that you. Buddle is wank.

Guest optimistic nit

We need defenders, every other position is fine.

I'm optimistic but that's just plain wrong.

and maybe an AM

I'm a Barton & Geremi fan you see

Definitely in need of at least one more quality midfielder and desperate for a centre forward imo.

Creativity in midfield has been lacking a bit, but an in-form Barton is very good (unfortunately not an incarcerated Barton though)

Not sure centre forward is all that urgent - but Viduka staying fit is highly unlikely

I just think we are sh*t at the back, especially as far as strength in depth goes

we´ve not seen anything but flashes (very rare flashes) from both geremi and barton, so to go into next season relying on the very little we´ve seen to perform to a potential i´m not sure even exists is a very bad idea.

also while at their best (if it exists) barton and geremi could be good passing players, neither are technically gifted, and we need a player who can split open defenses, an arteta/ elano / modric. even if barton, geremi and guthrie all excell this season, we will still need one of those to be a good team. all the teams we´re supposed to be competing with have one.

we also need need need a striker.

owen is still classed as injury prone for me, and if he´s injured, we are left with martins and one of carroll or smith = not good.

also it isn´t inconsivable that martins and owen could both get injured. thats why most quality teams have 4 strikers who score goals, but we have only 2.

i like our defense. beye is really good, enrique is definately PL a top 12 left back imo, and still young, i like faye, and we´ve had taylor in our defense for 3 years, and done well, even if he is irratic. cacapa may still have a future as well.

ideally we could sign a good (very good) left back over 28 to compete with enrique (poitless imo signing someone younger, as he´s only 21, or someone to be his backup, as it would not improve us) and a young understudy to beye and a good cb in his prime, but all of those can wait, whereas our midfield and strikeforce cant.

Guest shearer_united

I think we should have a go at trying to get Gareth Barry. Its going to be tough since he wants to go to liverpool - but it won't hurt having a go.

I think we should have a go at trying to get Gareth Barry. Its going to be tough since he wants to go to liverpool - but it won't hurt having a go.

He'd be better off at Villa tbh.

Watched an U-19s match between Czech Republic and Italy. Italy's target man, Okaka (sp) seems to be quite a prospect. I'd guess he's just over 6 foot tall, and has a great abilty to hold up the ball for midfielders and provide knock on's for his strike partner, only 18 as well. He's currently owned by Roma.

He's of Nigerian descent and was on loan at Modena last season, where he scored 7 league goals. Someone to keep an eye on in my opinion.

Watched an U-19s match between Czech Republic and Italy. Italy's target man, Okaka (sp) seems to be quite a prospect. I'd guess he's just over 6 foot tall, and has a great abilty to hold up the ball for midfielders and provide knock on's for his strike partner, only 18 as well. He's currently owned by Roma.

He's of Nigerian descent and was on loan at Modena last season, where he scored 7 league goals. Someone to keep an eye on in my opinion.

word is he won't be loaned out and he'll feature more for Roma this season..

Zamblera play at all?

Zamblera play at all?

No, not in this match. Played 73min in the first match and played 7min in the second match...

Guest optimistic nit

He'd be better off at Villa tbh.

he´s well and truely burned his bridges there. we´ll still not get him in a million miles like, liverpool or arsenal probably will, but if he´s gone to neither club by the last week of august, or in january, it would be worth a shot. if we were looking good for europe by january we would be competing with everton and portsmouth for his signiture imo, and we are just as attractive as those 2.

spurs could have some interest i suppose, which would be gay.

Not surprised in the slightest Keegan hasn't entered the race to sign Barry; two of the big 4 are desperate to buy him even at the hugely inflated price good player mind.

The one I am surprised there has been no move for is David Bentley; he would be top of my list the lack of creativity and goals from midfield needs to be addressed more then anything and he would certainly add that also he would be ideal in Keegan's system right side of the three where Geremi played back end of last season.

Not surprised in the slightest Keegan hasn't entered the race to sign Barry; two of the big 4 are desperate to buy him even at the hugely inflated price good player mind.

The one I am surprised there has been no move for is David Bentley; he would be top of my list the lack of creativity and goals from midfield needs to be addressed more then anything and he would certainly add that also he would be ideal in Keegan's system right side of the three where Geremi played back end of last season.

Don't want to start the same arguments up again but....how do you know we haven't made a bid or enquired?

Don't want to start the same arguments up again but....how do you know we haven't made a bid or enquired?

Its not in the papers O0

Its not in the papers O0

Well if I haven't read it, it mustn't have happened.

Seriously, we might have made a discrete enquiry for all we know. The papers are guessing and are clearly 'not in the loop' about who we are and are not in for. Just because it's not in the papers doesn't mean it's not happened and vice versa.

Not getting at Gallowgate End here but I honestly think that if anyone treats the tabloids' 'exclusives' with any respect at all then they're fucking idiots. They know fuck all. 

Its not in the papers O0

Well if I haven't read it, it mustn't have happened.

Seriously, we might have made a discrete enquiry for all we know. The papers are guessing and are clearly 'not in the loop' about who we are and are not in for. Just because it's not in the papers doesn't mean it's not happened and vice versa.

Not getting at Gallowgate End here but I honestly think that if anyone treats the tabloids' 'exclusives' with any respect at all then they're fucking idiots. They know fuck all. 

We could ask Nicko.

Comments from the Blackburn chairman and Aston Villa manager I suggest are a good indicator.

"We've had bids from two clubs for David Bentley; one when Mark Hughes was manager, and the other very recently. They have both been rejected" said Rovers chairman John Williams.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_3833881,00.html

Martin O'Neil "I wouldn't normally respond to individual links, but as Paul Ince rightly said, we did make a bid for David Bentley," "That was some time ago and Blackburn rejected the bid - as is their prerogative"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_3835438,00.html

Recent bid from Tottenham turned town.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/7506621.stm

Comments from the Blackburn chairman and Aston Villa manager I suggest are a good indicator.

"We've had bids from two clubs for David Bentley; one when Mark Hughes was manager, and the other very recently. They have both been rejected" said Rovers chairman John Williams.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_3833881,00.html

Martin O'Neil "I wouldn't normally respond to individual links, but as Paul Ince rightly said, we did make a bid for David Bentley," "That was some time ago and Blackburn rejected the bid - as is their prerogative"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_3835438,00.html

Recent bid from Tottenham turned town.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/7506621.stm

"Or enquired" were the key words.  :thup:

We might have asked how much they wanted for him and left it at that. :dontknow: