Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Getting a funny feeling we could end up with Arshavin. Not for the £20m+ fees talked about, but a club record, somewhere in between. No idea why, just think our supposed focus on loan targets might mean were looking at one big coup before the window closes.

I don't buy into all these rumours about wanting to cut the wagebill, not wanting anyone expensive, or only wanting young players, but I just can't see KK or the owner wanting him tbh. Far too risky.

He could flop, Modric was the one really, shame.

Just have a feeling there's a big player coming in, an attacking player which will spark the team, the reason were clearing the decks as much as we can, to support a big coup without straining the club too much. I'm saying Arshavin since he's the most likely player that is the type im thinking about to be moving soon. It might not be him, it might just be blind optimism (something not usually associated with me) but have a feeling our biggest signing of the summer is yet to come.

Just have a feeling there's a big player coming in, an attacking player which will spark the team, the reason were clearing the decks as much as we can, to support a big coup without straining the club too much. I'm saying Arshavin since he's the most likely player that is the type im thinking about to be moving soon. It might not be him, it might just be blind optimism (something not usually associated with me) but have a feeling our biggest signing of the summer is yet to come.

Certainly agree with most of that, just not the player.

I've said a couple of times on here, the fact is we were ready to spend big on a talented attacking central midfielder in Modric. I don't see why we'll just be dropping that idea.

I've said a couple of times on here, the fact is we were ready to spend big on a talented attacking central midfielder in Modric. I don't see why we'll just be dropping that idea.

They said the money is there for the right player so I won't be shocked if they don't spend it, I doubt keegan or Ashley will be happy with just spending money for the sake of it.

They said the money is there for the right player so I won't be shocked if they don't spend it, I doubt keegan or Ashley will be happy with just spending money for the sake of it.

Yes, we were about to spend that on Modric (so more reason to think that plan of an exciting AMC is still knocking about) and maybe spending that on Arshavin is just buying for buyings sake.

Diego it is then.  :smug:

Oh I won't be surprised either, nor will I be whinging. I'd rather we waited if all the players available aren't right.

I just think they'll still be wanting a Modric.

Nicko reckons we've given up on trying to sign Warnock.

That'd be ace. Not as good as Enrique and will probably cost as much. Rather Enrique continue getting some games because he'll end up being viewed as one of the best LBs come the end of the season.

Capello has called up Heskey, I'll say again - he'd do a job for us. He wouldn't get the goals but Owens/ Martins would thrive off him & he'd be a completely different type of target man than Viduka giving us an option we just don't have at the moment. Given the lack of creativity we have in the centre of midfield we are going to need the ball to stick when it goes up top as we aren't going to passing teams to death and opening them up through he middle anytime soon.

Capello has called up Heskey, I'll say again - he'd do a job for us. He wouldn't get the goals but Owens/ Martins would thrive off him & he'd be a completely different type of target man than Viduka giving us an option we just don't have at the moment. Given the lack of creativity we have in the centre of midfield we are going to need the ball to stick when it goes up top as we aren't going to passing teams to death and opening them up through he middle anytime soon.

I agree tbh

Heskey is a very underrated player and we could do worse than bring him as a replacement for Viduka in a year

If Viduka (the better of the two comfortably) had Heskey's workmanship qualities and mobility he'd be absolutetly unstoppable tbh

Heskey is a very underrated player and we could do worse than bring him as a replacement for Viduka in a year

If Viduka (the better of the two comfortably) had Heskey's workmanship qualities and mobility he'd be absolutetly unstoppable tbh

I'm never said he wasn't, more so as it was implied we should buy Heskey to partner Owen, Owen who we cannot rely on at all.

i've said for awhile owen's best partner is heskey

Doesn't mean we should be buying him though. Or counting on Owen as well.

True, but at any given point you'd hope one of Martins/ Owen would be fit & that at the same time it will be 50/50 whether Viduka will be fit or we'd be up against a team that you'd want Viduka to play against. Given this our current options are Smith (as in tomorrow) or Ameobi (soon to be gone). You'd take Heskey every time over those and I'm really not sure what available target men are out there that we could perhaps make available or get at a reasonable price. Saviola as an example may be a decent player but we just don't need his type.