Bafetimbi Gomis

Decky

SSN saying our offer is still on the table fwiw. Not withdrawn.

How mighty considerate of us.

I hate to say this but i think we've got this one right, nearly 28, last year of his contract, Lyon want rid. There's no way we should pay more than we are offering.

But i do understand we need a striker badly we have to accept paying more than we think we should, whether this player is worth doing that for is another matter.

I just hope we have identified other options. Could handle bringing in players with potential around 21/22 for 4/5 million really. I just hope they don't decide to go with what we have, would be massive mistake I reckon.

That's the problem, i dont we ever have other targets. We really are a "all our eggs in one basket" club. That's why i said sometimes we should pay more. In this case i dont because of his contract and situation with Lyon.

I just think our lists of mulitple players for a certain position never exist. Despite what Pardew says.

when we pulled out of the douglas deal (apparently) was there not something along the lines of kinnear saying that they'll sign the player that's right regardless of whether there are cheaper alternatives?  sure i remember something like that

joe talking s**** again for a change then

Tbf this one is a bit different, were just tight all round. We have our valuation and we stick to it, even if it means cutting our nose off, to spite our own face.

More like we have our budget and we stick to it IMO.

It's a known fact that Ashley doesn't want to/won't put any more of his own money in, the club must live within it's means, that will drive the available £££'s for players in fee's and wages and that will drive the size of offers to buy players.

Moaningabout an "extra million" here and there isn't the reality. IF the club can afford the extra million, it'll pay it, if that extra million means Ashley has to put his hand in his pocket, it won't.

That's the simple financial reality of where we are.

Guest bimpy474

Cisse - Germany

Anita - Holland

Have we signed any other first teamers in recent seasons from other countries than France & England except those two?

Tbf, we must be scouting further afield or we wouldn't have signed, Vuckic, Šatka, Good. Admittedly not first team players. Vuckic in the first team squad now obviously.

So we do all of our scouting look at loads of strikers, lose out on two but our third choice Gomis the one we have decided is the man for us, the player who is going to make the difference but we value him at £6.9m

Guest bimpy474

I hate to say this but i think we've got this one right, nearly 28, last year of his contract, Lyon want rid. There's no way we should pay more than we are offering.

But i do understand we need a striker badly we have to accept paying more than we think we should, whether this player is worth doing that for is another matter.

I just hope we have identified other options. Could handle bringing in players with potential around 21/22 for 4/5 million really. I just hope they don't decide to go with what we have, would be massive mistake I reckon.

That's the problem, i dont we ever have other targets. We really are a "all our eggs in one basket" club. That's why i said sometimes we should pay more. In this case i dont because of his contract and situation with Lyon.

I just think our lists of mulitple players for a certain position never exist. Despite what Pardew says.

when we pulled out of the douglas deal (apparently) was there not something along the lines of kinnear saying that they'll sign the player that's right regardless of whether there are cheaper alternatives?  sure i remember something like that

Tbf this one is a bit different, were just tight all round. We have our valuation and we stick to it, even if it means cutting our nose off, to spite our own face.

It's a known fact that Ashley doesn't want to/won't put any more of his own money in, the club must live within it's means, that will drive the available £££'s for players in fee's and wages and that will drive the size of offers to buy players.

Moaningabout an "extra million" here and there isn't the reality. IF the club can afford the extra million, it'll pay it, if that extra million means Ashley has to put his hand in his pocket, it won't.

The two things are tied though aren't they, but we do seem to have the tightest millionaire in football.

The two things are tied though aren't they, but we do seem to have the tightest billionaire in football.

fyp.

I don't mind that we have our prices for certain players, but in order to do that, we need to have a decently long list of options, and we need to move faster. I get that we want to stretch out the transfers and break their will, but if it doesn't work, and we've not been working on other options, then we're up shit creek. Again.

Yeah we offered far more for Aubameyang allegedly so it can't be that we can't afford it.

I think it's more about getting the absolute best value on a particular player than spending the minimum overall. The effect is kind of the same though, obviously.

If you're going to haggle over a fee like this, it only makes sense to have multiple options.

If you've only got one or two options, then you shouldn't consider yourself to be in a position to haggle like this.

I just don't know why it has to be so ridiculously laborious to get this thing over the line (tm Pards). I'm sure crazy Uncle Joe isn't helping matters, either. There is an opportunity cost to taking this long, too. If you wait until the last day of the window, you're likely costing yourself points and potentially league places. Even if you eventually get it right, is it really worth 500k or even 1m to wait?

The two things are tied though aren't they, but we do seem to have the tightest millionaire in football.

He's in for a big bundle already, I can see why he wants to stop tbh

Yeah we offered far more for Aubameyang allegedly so it can't be that we can't afford it.

I think it's more about getting the absolute best value on a particular player than spending the minimum overall. The effect is kind of the same though, obviously.

Sounds like to me we have a set value for each player and won't go above that.

Because we are willing to spend 10m on one player don't mean we will do that to another even if we are desperate.

Sounds like to me we have a set value for each player and won't go above that.

Because we are willing to spend 10m on one player don't mean we will do that to another even if we are desperate.

Yep, that's what I meant. I agree with the fact we should have more strong targets lined up at once though, it does seem like we are very specific in pursuing certain players.

Well that's part of the reason we are no longer losing millions on players season after season like we used to do under the previous regime. Think Luque, Viana, Boumsong and Owen just to name a few. It's frustrating but if you are a mug then other clubs will see you coming a mile off.

our valuation of players clearly takes into account potential resale value as a factor in their worth, maybe a deciding or heavily weighted factor actually

we'll offer more for aubyemang because more than likely at his age if he succeeds we'd stand to rake in a fortune

much less for gomis etc.

Pissed off with this like. Understand our stance though.

Lyon need to get realistic with their valuation. Within the last year or his contract, we have offered a very reasonable price. From the noises their chairman has made all along we have always been close. We have since reportedly raised our offer 3m. They are playing games to get as much out or us as possible. Downside is bent now moving ahead of him in our search.

Well that's part of the reason we are no longer losing millions on players season after season like we used to do under the previous regime. Think Luque, Viana, Boumsong and Owen just to name a few. It's frustrating but if you are a mug then other clubs will see you coming a mile off.

As always there is the option of finding a happy medium where and when necessary.