Newcastle United 2 - 0 Fulham - 22/03/08 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

Viduka was class today, held the ball up really well. Ok he might be a bit lazy and doesn't run as much as others do but he's got a knack of scoring really important goals. The way he got his shot away was quality.

I quite like Owen in the deep role, perhaps needs to shoot a bit more but he's growing into it nicely. Was dying for a left winger on a couple of occasions though and instinctively passed it in that position to find no one there.

Barton was good, even though he spent much of it on the left flank he impressed me. Much better than we've seen so far this season.

opinions are what makes football great, viduka drove me fucking mad today.

if that was him playing class i'd hate to say a poor performance.

good goal though.

Go easy on the lad. just been pregnant ffs!

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/3903/vidukapintjr0.jpg

Clearly looks like he takes his training seriously.

(fucking perfectionists)

ROB BEASLEY at St James' Park

MIKE ASHLEY burst into the Chairman's Suite at St James' Park and yelled: "Let's get naked and have a party!"

Well that's certainly one way to celebrate Newcastle's first win since the return of the Messiah, Kevin Keegan.

The club's billionaire benefactor was clearly thrilled with the Toon's first three-point haul in 10 games.

I was in the inner sanctum of the boardroom watching as Ashley told chairman Chris Mort: "We're going out tonight, Morty."

He was clearly intent on raising a glass or three in salute to matchwinners Mark Viduka and Michael Owen.

But before kick-off he'd predicted a thumping 3-0 triumph for the home side.

"Three-nil — trust me, 3-0. Put your house on it," he urged everyone in the directors' box.

And it should have been.

Mark Viduka fired the Toon ahead after only six minutes to give them a perfect start in this relegation dog-fight.

It was a classic strike too.

Hugging

The Aussie ace controlled the ball with his right foot and feinted to shoot before steering the ball beyond Kasey Keller's dive with his left.

Ashley was out of his seat hugging Mort and directors Tony Jimenez and Dennis Wise.

It was high fives all around.

But nervy Newcastle failed to build on that early strike despite dominating proceedings.

The lively Obafemi Martins saw a surging run and low drive superbly touched around by Keller for a corner.

Then a Viduka knock-down saw Owen demand another top-notch save from the Fulham keeper.

An Owen far-post header into the middle was cleared off the line in an amazing scramble.

Then the England striker was just too deep as Abdoulaye Faye's overhead kick looped over Keller but ran harmlessly across an unguarded goal.

A goal looked inevitable. Ten minutes before half-time it looked to have arrived.

Geremi's cross was inch-perfect for Owen, who had escaped his markers to loiter just seven yards out bang in front of goal.

Fifty thousand people rose to acclaim United's second, but inexplicably the United skipper fluffed his finish, heading down at his feet rather than into the back of the net.

Keegan had his head in his hands in shock. He wasn't the only one.

Joke

A goal then would have eased the obvious anxiety in the ranks, boosted confidence and probably proved the platform for a convincing victory.

Fortunately for the home side Fulham never looked like scoring.

And as half-time approached chairman Mort even felt confident enough to joke: "Hey, Mike, what do we do at half-time when we're winning? I've forgotten."

The pair have certainly been through the mill in their first season at the helm of the Geordie club.

But the sense of humour — even if it's gallows humour at times — remains alive and well.

Ashley, who had been too uptight to eat a thing before kick-off, was now relaxed enough to risk a bowl of soup during the interval. He gulped it down with a mighty grin on his face.

"I told you 3-0," he reminded everybody, even though it was still only 1-0.

"Come on the Toon!" he roared.

And Newcastle did roar on the restart.

Joey Barton flashed a fierce effort just past the post and Ashley was up jumping and punching the air when Viduka back-heeled the ball home on 65 minutes.

It was rightly ruled out for offside — to groans all around the ground — and Ashley must have been growing worried about his bold prediction.

With 20 minutes to go he asked: "Would you make a substitution now? Take off one of the strikers?"

I said: "Yes, protect what you've got.

"Lose one of the three up front and bolster midfield — but which one? Viduka, Owen or Martins?"

We argued the pros and cons for all of them.

Viduka was leading the line cleverly and holding the ball up well.

Martins was lively and exciting. And Owen might have missed a sitter, but he is always liable to nick a goal.

Luckily the decision was not ours. It was Keegan's — and he judged it to perfection.

In the 74th minute he made his move.

Off came Martins to a crescendo of boos, followed by a standing ovation for the Newcastle No9.

But eight minutes later there was uproar.

Geremi curled in a teasing free-kick and Owen stole half a yard to reach it first, glancing a trademark header into the back of the net.

Well done Michael. Even better Kevin.

Morale

Ashley was in full flow now.

"There's only one Kevin Keegan," he sang as the famous chorus echoed around the stadium.

But he was still after that elusive third.

It didn't materialise, but this was still a morale-boosting win for his side.

It was full of plenty of signs that they just might finish the season off with a bit of a flourish.

They are probably two wins away from safety, and with Reading and Sunderland to visit Tyneside their destiny is in their own hands.

Which is more than you can say for Fulham. It's 32 games without an away win now and no end in sight.

Cottagers boss Roy Hodgson still thinks they will survive. He's one of the very few.

He said: "We were two points behind Bolton and now it's three. We were four behind Birmingham and that hasn't changed.

"We've got seven games to play but it was a significant move for Sunderland in particular with their excellent win at Aston Villa. We've lost touch with them now.

"But having said that, there are still a lot of points to play for and we have to keep believing that our football will get us out of the situation we are in.

"I thought in the first half we played quite well. An early goal put us on the back foot but after that we got over the disappointment and played reasonably well.

"At half-time I was thinking ‘If we can keep this up then we can get back into it'.

"Against the wind we didn't play so well. We didn't create anywhere near as many chances and didn't attack with the same quality.

Chances

"I think we're creating chances. We made a few in the first half.

"Some of those balls coming into the box before the break looked like good chances to me.

"I would be very concerned if it wasn't the same at the other end. But like us Newcastle didn't get many one-on-ones.

"The chances on both sides were not clear-cut and the defenders on both teams dealt with them well."

While Hodgson clutches at straws, Newcastle's future looks more assured.

This was a "must win" match and they won it comfortably.

Ashley certainly knew the importance of it all.

He joked: "If we'd lost today I would have sold the club."

More seriously, he added: "I just can't wait to get to the summer and then sit down and talk with Kevin about what we need to take the club forward."

haha from newsoftheworld.co.uk

Viduka was class today, held the ball up really well. Ok he might be a bit lazy and doesn't run as much as others do but he's got a knack of scoring really important goals. The way he got his shot away was quality.

I quite like Owen in the deep role, perhaps needs to shoot a bit more but he's growing into it nicely. Was dying for a left winger on a couple of occasions though and instinctively passed it in that position to find no one there.

Barton was good, even though he spent much of it on the left flank he impressed me. Much better than we've seen so far this season.

opinions are what makes football great, viduka drove me f****** mad today.

good goal though.

What was poor about it? Scored a good goal, held the ball up well, won a fair bit in the air. He's not a workaholic and he never will be. Viduka is what he is, talented but bone idle. He's not going to charge down the goalkeeper but he'll always score goals. That'll do me.

i guess i just find him frustrating mate, he is clever with the ball at times but he sometimes tried to overplay it imo.

i guess he's just not for me.

glad we won today, and we deserved it. but make no mistake, we are a poor team.

some good performances though no doubt, but as mick says,  we are poor on the whole.

I would normally say that we are missing something in midfield by playing 3 forwards, then I remember who we've got to play in midfield and realise we're missing nothing, we must put that right in the summer.  Barton and Butt did well but I hope we're not watching them next season, if we are then we'll just get more of the same.

I'm confident that Keegan will go 4-4-2 and we'll look more balanced.  I would play Geremi for the rest of this season if he's fit because we seem to do better when he gets a game but he's a scruffy player, he just doesn't look like a footballer although like I've said, we do better with him than without.

I thought Keegan made a balls of taking Martins off again but you can't fault what happened after that because we doubled our lead and could relax for the first time in many months.

i agree with that, i think geremi, as you say makes us a better side, he seems to keep the ball well (god knows how), i hope i never see him take another corner though.

i think the oba sub may have been a bit if a hidden message.

as you say, we cant complain, but i hope i see own or viduka go off before him, he's our main threat imo

opinions are what makes football great, viduka drove me f****** mad today.

good goal though.

What was poor about it? Scored a good goal, held the ball up well, won a fair bit in the air. He's not a workaholic and he never will be. Viduka is what he is, talented but bone idle. He's not going to charge down the goalkeeper but he'll always score goals. That'll do me.

sorry, in my original post i didnt mean to say he was poor, it was meant to read 'if that was a class performance i'd hate to SEE a poor one'

i dont hink he wa spoor, i just thought he was far, far, far from class.

The atmosphere sounded terrific on the radio.

wasnt bad, went quiet in spells as it does, but we sang a lot more than we have recently.

great cheer at the end as well!

Was extremely edgy like. We'd have a good spell of passing and then if it unfortunately broke down the groans were ridiculous. Inevitable really given our current run though.

wasnt bad, went quiet in spells as it does, but we sang a lot more than we have recently.

Was extremely edgy like. We'd have a good spell of passing and then if it unfortunately broke down the groans were ridiculous. Inevitable really given our current run though.

aye, the groans are a fucking joke.

and as much as i'm not a huge viduka fan, the amount of 'fat ozzie cunt' cries that were thrown out around me just minutes after he had scored were pathetic.

aye, the groans are a fucking joke.

and as much as i'm not a huge viduka fan, the amount of 'fat ozzie cunt' cries that were thrown out around me just minutes after he had scored were pathetic.

Aye the blokes sat behind me were absolute morons. Literally 2 minutes after he scored they were screaming at him for now closing down the keeper quick enough. Fucking twats - its the same people all game who groan, whinge and boo even when we're doing well. Don't know why they bother going really.

aye, the groans are a f****** joke.

and as much as i'm not a huge viduka fan, the amount of 'fat ozzie c***' cries that were thrown out around me just minutes after he had scored were pathetic.

Aye the blokes sat behind me were absolute morons. Literally 2 minutes after he scored they were screaming at him for now closing down the keeper quick enough. f****** twats - its the same people all game who groan, whinge and boo even when we're doing well. Don't know why they bother going really.

i wasn't a big fan of the boo-ing for the oba sub tbh

Harper - 6.5 - Only a couple of saves to make.

Beye - 6.5 - Solid, no gallivanting down the flank but still got forward a bit, definitely wasn't MOTM imo.

Taylor - 7 - Solid Enough

Faye - 7 - Solid Enough

Enrique - 7.5 - For me, he is quality. He is so confident in his own ability and that left foot really is something else.

Butt - 7 - Passing was once again pretty pap, but was more than capable but left Bullard a bit too much room.

Barton - 7.5 - For me he was really good today, good passing didn't lose the ball much and some clever balls into space, much improved.

Geremi - 7 - He is so slow but an intelligent footballer. Lovely assist for Owen.

Martins - 7 - Grew into the game, link up and general play looked better.

Viduka - 7 - Was very inconsistent with some of his hold up play which either ended up with a chance created or him losing the ball. Good finish for the goal.

Owen - 8 - MOTM, some of his passing was brilliant, yep missed a sitter and a couple more but good finish and an impressive show.

As a word on Bullard, looks a good player however he wasn't very progressive imo with most of his passes going to the side and not really creating much.

and as much as i'm not a huge viduka fan, the amount of 'fat ozzie c***' cries that were thrown out around me just minutes after he had scored were pathetic.

Aye the blokes sat behind me were absolute morons. Literally 2 minutes after he scored they were screaming at him for now closing down the keeper quick enough. f****** twats - its the same people all game who groan, whinge and boo even when we're doing well. Don't know why they bother going really.

Me neither, but theres a lot of stupid people in the ground who don't understand football and can't see past their favourite player. It was clear at the time that Geremi and Barton were being stretched further wide and Butt was a bit isolated in the middle. Made perfect sense to go 4-4-2 and Martins was just unfortunate to be the one to come off.

Me neither, but theres a lot of stupid people in the ground who don't understand football and can't see past their favourite player. It was clear at the time that Geremi and Barton were being stretched further wide and Butt was a bit isolated in the middle. Made perfect sense to go 4-4-2 and Martins was just unfortunate to be the one to come off.

exactly.

makes you wonder who the fuck these people think they are.

Harper - 6.5 - Only a couple of saves to make.

Beye - 6.5 - Solid, no gallivanting down the flank but still got forward a bit, definitely wasn't MOTM imo.

Taylor - 7 - Solid Enough

Faye - 7 - Solid Enough

Enrique - 7.5 - For me, he is quality. He is so confident in his own ability and that left foot really is something else.

Butt - 7 - Passing was once again pretty pap, but was more than capable but left Bullard a bit too much room.

Barton - 7.5 - For me he was really good today, good passing didn't lose the ball much and some clever balls into space, much improved.

Geremi - 7 - He is so slow but an intelligent footballer. Lovely assist for Owen.

Martins - 7 - Grew into the game, link up and general play looked better.

Viduka - 7 - Was very inconsistent with some of his hold up play which either ended up with a chance created or him losing the ball. Good finish for the goal.

Owen - 8 - MOTM, some of his passing was brilliant, yep missed a sitter and a couple more but good finish and an impressive show.

As a word on Bullard, looks a good player however he wasn't very progressive imo with most of his passes going to the side and not really creating much.

beye was worth more than a 6.5 going from your other marks imo

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/80343858.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1933B836CAF14D5D5C83B645DE7E2876423E30A760B0D811297

love it  :laugh:

have you seen the celebration where he does that?

he tries to squirt it first but the top is down, gutted for him!