Newcastle United 2 - 0 Fulham - 22/03/08 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

Just remembered this point...

Did anyone see the blatant obstruction on Viduka midway through the first half? The bit where it was played across goal, then Faye acrobatically looped it back into the six-yard box. Viduka had a clear chance to simply tap it in but was quite blatantly held back. ???

Did anyone see the blatant obstruction on Viduka midway through the first half? The bit where it was played across goal, then Faye acrobatically looped it back into the six-yard box. Viduka had a clear chance to simply tap it in but was quite blatantly held back. ???

my gues is only you saw it that way

my gues is only you saw it that way

Shucks eh. :( I really wish i was perfect. :razz:

I wouldn't change the team for Spurs. I don't think this is the best possible team, but today we saw the benefit of a (slightly) settled side. There's been too many changes this season from game to game, in terms of personnel, as well as formation.

Congrats lads. Something you all deserve.

I was really pleased when i heard the score, ive only seen the highlights on MOTD but you looked like you could have scored a few more!

And the "3 pronged" attack looked brilliant, all about Oba :)

Survival, is a cert :)

Well that was just about as one-sided a set of highlights one can see. Fulham had like two shots, with one on target.

Was it really that comfortable?

It was, aye. Didn't feel that way because it never does at 1-0 but looking back they were diabolical. If it hadn't been for Bullard, I think we'd have really wiped the floor with them. All they had to offer was to give the ball to him, hope for a killer pass that their crap strikers couldn't miss or a long ranger flying in, he had all the responsibility. Felt quite sorry for him tbh.

Well that was just about as one-sided a set of highlights one can see. Fulham had like two shots, with one on target.

It was, aye. Didn't feel that way because it never does at 1-0 but looking back they were diabolical. If it hadn't been for Bullard, I think we'd have really wiped the floor with them. All they had to offer was to give the ball to him, hope for a killer pass that their crap strikers couldn't miss or a long ranger flying in, he had all the responsibility. Felt quite sorry for him tbh.

We were all shitting ourselves on here man. :lol:

What was it, listening on the radio?

The very worst form of torture.

Guest bobblyrage

I can see the reason behind the 3 strikers, but up against a decent midfield we'll be battered. Our 3 midfielders are the slowest in the league and as Martins doesnt have the nous, Owen the pace/fitness to cover back, against a top side we'll be overran. Particularily if unlike today the opposition fullbacks bomb forward

Best things about it is finally we're being pro-active, the oppostion actually had to think about what our forward play would be! Hadn't happened all season and credit to KK for seeing how 1-D he'd been with a 4-4-2 with Smith (and later duff) as one of the forwards

if we play 4-3-3 at spurs we'll be throwing points away. it was ok agianst brum and fulham but with confidence up 4-4-2 away will be better....keegans choice to drop owen,viduka or martins (owen my choice but it wont happen)

Hmmm I don't know, you play your form players and Viduka, Martins and Owen are our form players. I think its moronic all the people that want to drop Owen, he is 2/2 after fulham. What more do you want from a striker than scoring goals?

Zoggy has been in indifferent form & Milner has never looked up to it so I don't see why you'd rush back to 4-4-2. All it seemed to give us was a whole lot of no service to our strikers.

What was it, listening on the radio?

The very worst form of torture.

Aye. And Five Live too (turned World off after getting the teams), so they kept going to other fucking games, increasing the worry.

Bartons firecracker really deserved to go in the net, i hope he can get back on track and become a vital piece on our midfield.

He must be the only one we have there who dares to shoot from out the penalty area.

Butt isn't scared, he just forgets which sport he's playing just before striking it.

Aye, was unbearable at times. Looked through my posts in this thread and a lot of them say stuff like "sweating", "squeezing my mouse", "biting my fingers", "having trouble breathing"... I should see the club and Radio 5 for the emotional distress they caused me this afternoon.

Guest sittingontheball

Against the top teams this year, our major problem has been that we give them so much of the ball. We haven't been able to hold onto it at all. With this 4-3-3, we've seen more passes to feet and much better retention.  In terms of beating a better side, 4-3-3 will the present team may not produce more chances for us, but I think it would produce fewer chances for them.  Every second less on the back foot will help.

Yes it was. They didn't create any clear cut chances at all, but one thing that did worry me was that they had much more control of the ball than we did. We created chances but most of them seem to come in bursts, instead of simply us dominating the ball and creating consistent chances.

It was a good game anyway, I'm just nitpicking on our inability to control the ball because of careless passes/not enough movement but the amount of chances we've created in the past 3 halves are a major positive.

Thought Martins' effort in the first half would have been a brilliant goal (and would have looked great on TV) if Keller hadnt have pulled off a good save. Great long pass from Enrique and great turn and shot from Oba.

All round good football

The three-pronged attack really depends on Martins though. Without him, it wouldn't work because there wouldn't be enough space, and there wouldn't be anyone who could stretch the field and open up the space between def-mid that Owen exploited so well today. How many times did we give possession away because there wasn't enough movement up front? And how many times was Martins our outlet down the left hand side?

If he's active, then we've got a chance because he can literally create a chance from nowhere, and he's on form as well so I don't see any reason for us to revert to a formation in which we've been thumped more than a few times this season already. Spurs will probably score a few goals against us, but with Martins in this form and with the way we've lately been creating chances, I fancy us to score a couple as well.

I still don't understand why Zoggs didn't replace Geremi instead of Martins I thought Geremi was to slow, we needed a bit more pace and against better teams we definitely need more than just Martins.

I still don't understand why Zoggs didn't replace Geremi instead of Martins I thought Geremi was to slow, we needed a bit more pace and against better teams we definitely need more than just Martins.

geremi was protecting the right back as he tucked in when fulham were attacking made sense to me