Newcastle United 2 - 0 Fulham - 22/03/08 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

Brilliant. The players are adapting to the 4-3-3 and we were very dangerous. The tactic favours our workhorse midfield. Even Barton looked like he had a good-un! I think we should stick with it, as it plays to our strengths. Fuck 4-4-2, we don't have the players for it.

The three-pronged attack really depends on Martins though. Without him, it wouldn't work because there wouldn't be enough space, and there wouldn't be anyone who could stretch the field and open up the space between def-mid that Owen exploited so well today. How many times did we give possession away because there wasn't enough movement up front? And how many times was Martins our outlet down the left hand side?

If he's active, then we've got a chance because he can literally create a chance from nowhere, and he's on form as well so I don't see any reason for us to revert to a formation in which we've been thumped more than a few times this season already. Spurs will probably score a few goals against us, but with Martins in this form and with the way we've lately been creating chances, I fancy us to score a couple as well.

:thup: If we had to revert to a 4-5-1 to protect our lead, I wouldn't have anyone but Martins to play as our lone striker

Fucking hell man. The decision to take Martins off was tactical. And it worked. And still some people feel the need to whinge.

Yesterday was great btw. Best time I've had at a match for ages.

Vital 3 points.

But we're not out of the woods yet. Bullard was the most influential player on the pitch & how MOTD picked out Barton I don't know - he was disappointing again; Butt covered more ground & had a far better game than Barton.

Geremi was way of the pace, he spent the second half marking space in a 20 yard square area. Our lack of pace and drive from midfield is worrying. Owen worked his socks off & became the link man in a lot of the play.

Quick word for Viduka; class act, showed how much we need a biggish target man.

Fulham are gone; no chance.

Guest mobiius

Brilliant. The players are adapting to the 4-3-3 and we were very dangerous. The tactic favours our workhorse midfield. Even Barton looked like he had a good-un! I think we should stick with it, as it plays to our strengths. Fuck 4-4-2, we don't have the players for it.

:clap: :clap: nice to see some real positive comments  for a change. The result yesterday should be enjoyed by all of us we won for fuck sake we could of won 6-0 and i will guarantee that some people on here still wouldn't be happy. There was loads of positives to be taken from the game as there has been for a few games imho the players are now starting to take on KK's way of thinking and they are losing all the dices defend defend tactics. Someone wrote about Bullard being the most influential player on the pitch

Bullard was the most influential player on the pitch & how MOTD picked out Barton I don't know - he was disappointing again; Butt covered more ground & had a far better game than Barton.

if you call running out of idea's and passing most of the balls to him influential then i agree but if being on the wrong side of a 2-0 beating (that could of been a whole lot more)is anything to go by i would say he influenced shit.Don't get me wrong i would love to see him in a black and white shirt but i think our own  players deserve credit before he does. Barton had probably the best  game ive seen him have since he played for citeh, yes vids is class but he's lazy as fuck.Still scores though so he can be as lazy as he wants for me.

f****** hell man. The decision to take Martins off was tactical. And it worked. And still some people feel the need to whinge.

At the time the 433 was losing shape and Keegan got it spot on going to 442. Thought the crowd reaction to the substitution was wrong as Martins, although we know he can be dangerous, looked a bit of a "loose cannon" by that stage.

Agree about the best time at a match for ages - well the last 8 minutes anyway when we finally relaxed.

Vital 3 points.

But we're not out of the woods yet. Bullard was the most influential player on the pitch & how MOTD picked out Barton I don't know - he was disappointing again; Butt covered more ground & had a far better game than Barton.

Geremi was way of the pace, he spent the second half marking space in a 20 yard square area. Our lack of pace and drive from midfield is worrying. Owen worked his socks off & became the link man in a lot of the play.

Quick word for Viduka; class act, showed how much we need a biggish target man.

Fulham are gone; no chance.

Thought a few had good games particularly Owen and Enrique but for me Barton was MOM. He worked so hard, looked good on the ball and broke them down at key stages on several occasions.

Guest smnewport

Assuming KK spends big in the Summer and that he has seen what a difference a big target man makes to the way we play; coupled with the fact that Viduka (although he is classs like) is 147 yrs old a a bit of a Tampon player - who should we get as a target man to replace him?

ROB BEASLEY at St James' Park

More seriously, he added: "I just can't wait to get to the summer and then sit down and talk with Kevin about what we need to take the club forward."

haha from newsoftheworld.co.uk

curiously the bloke who got the quote and printed it is the same boke who, in todays issue of the CRAP says "but now toon insiders believe he is weighig up a deal to sell" ?

if we play 4-3-3 at spurs we'll be throwing points away. it was ok agianst brum and fulham but with confidence up 4-4-2 away will be better....keegans choice to drop owen,viduka or martins (owen my choice but it wont happen)

Hmmm I don't know, you play your form players and Viduka, Martins and Owen are our form players. I think its moronic all the people that want to drop Owen, he is 2/2 after fulham. What more do you want from a striker than scoring goals?

Zoggy has been in indifferent form & Milner has never looked up to it so I don't see why you'd rush back to 4-4-2. All it seemed to give us was a whole lot of no service to our strikers.

keegan has history of dropping scorers if its for the good of the team. the reason 4-3-3 has worked is because we've played teams who werent good enough to take advantage of the numerical supremacy in midfield. better teams will.

Fucking hell man. The decision to take Martins off was tactical. And it worked. And still some people feel the need to whinge.

Aye exactly, Barton and Geremi were getting stretched a bit too much. Made perfect sense, the boos were embarrasing.

Harper - 6 - Far, far better kicking than Given manages

Beye - 5 - Not his best game for us

Faye - 5 - Gets caught out a lot. Not a particularly good player, but no Bramble, obviously.

Taylor - 6 - Not great, but yet again better than Faye (although i know its soem kind of hideous crime to acknowledge that)

Enrique - 7 - Best game for us so far? I think so. Not the great est left back, but genuinely offers something pushing on.

Geremi - 5 - Not good.

Butt - 5 - Gave the ball away far too much.

Barton - 6 - Best game for us so far, still gives it away FAR too much. Shoud not be picked ahead of The Zog, ever.

Martins - 7 - Should have stayed on. Needs to learn WHERE to run, but he's willing to try.

Owen - 8 - Very surprised by how well he slotes into the role he was given. Everything good seemed to coem through him.

Viduka - 6 - Great goal, but by God he's a fat lazy bastard.

Smith - Just. Fuck. Off.

Impressed with Bullard today from the game, wouldn't say no to having him here. Like a better version of all 3 of our midfielders.

He did alright, he's not the answer though.

I still don't understand why Zoggs didn't replace Geremi instead of Martins I thought Geremi was to slow, we needed a bit more pace and against better teams we definitely need more than just Martins.

cos geremi's big strength is keeping hold of the ball and whereas n'zogbia's biggest weakness is losing it. if you sub him on and are protecting a lead, logically he should come on for someone else attacking. also, geremi put in a great delivery (two of them, actually, only smith managed to head his chance AWAY from goal) after the substitution.

I still don't understand why Zoggs didn't replace Geremi instead of Martins I thought Geremi was to slow, we needed a bit more pace and against better teams we definitely need more than just Martins.

cos geremi's big strength is keeping hold of the ball and whereas n'zogbia's biggest weakness is losing it. if you sub him on and are protecting a lead, logically he should come on for someone else attacking. also, geremi put in a great delivery (two of them, actually, only smith managed to head his chance AWAY from goal) after the substitution.

Spot on.

People just can't help themselves and find something to moan at, despite the fact we scored another goal after this substitution.