Jimmy Bullard sign him?

Guest Harry-Norway

If he was a few years younger and at his current standard with room to improve then maybe, but not at nearly 30. He can only go downhill.

He's a canny player though, odd how it took him so long to get to this level. There's much worse have played their whole careers in the Premiership.

I think we were linked to him when he was about 24 but nothing ever came of it.

If he was a few years younger and at his current standard with room to improve then maybe, but not at nearly 30. He can only go downhill.

He's a canny player though, odd how it took him so long to get to this level. There's much worse have played their whole careers in the Premiership.

I think we were linked to him when he was about 24 but nothing ever came of it.

I never would have guessed.  :rolleyes:

He shouldn't be good for us - though imo he was the best midfield player on the pitch (other than Owen :)) & that shows how bad our midfield currently is.

What the fuck Anal is talking about saying that Barton & Geremi were fucking brilliant & that Bullard played like a twat I have no idea. He must have spent too much time on the lash beforehand. Barton did ok, Butt did most of the closing down & Geremi was pedestrian.

Technically, and ability wise, I think we should be trying to aim for younger, quicker midfielders but from an attitude and personality perspective, he is exactly the type of player we should be looking for.

• 2 years later...

well it's from The Sun so......

JIMMY BULLARD is wanted by Newcastle this summer.

Toon face promotion rivals Nottingham Forest at St James' Park tonight, almost dead certs to bounce straight back into the Premier League.

And boss Chris Hughton is already looking to life back in the big-time with Hull midfield ace Bullard one of his top targets.

Owner Mike Ashley is set to give Hughton £15million to go shopping.

Bullard cost Hull £5m from Fulham two years ago and earns around £30,000 a week at the KC Stadium. That is small fry for Toon.

Hughton said: "We have a lot of good players here but we are always looking to strengthen. I've got some big decisions to make.

"We've got a scouting system set up to identify players doing well and there are ones we have on the radar once we've achieved promotion."

After nine games unbeaten Newcastle have one foot back in the Premier League.

Victory over third-placed Forest could see them promoted with a win at Peterborough on Saturday if Billy Davies' men lose at Bristol City.

Hughton added: "To seal promotion in early April is a big achievement and a credit to all the hard work the lads have put in."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2911122/Hughton-fancies-a-bit-of-Bully.html#ixzz0jXuNeN3j

He's a bit class, but woefully injury prone. If you could get him for next to nothing would be worth a punt. Maybe if Hull end up relegated since there will be a fire sale. But it's not by chance that Hull's mini-runs have coincided with him being healthy.

After a string of near-identical quotes from Hughton, since about New Year, outlining how it's too early to say we're promoted - i'm absolutely astonished he's said that. Are they really real? ???

After a string of near-identical quotes from Hughton, since about New Year, outlining how it's too early to say we're promoted - i'm absolutely astonished he's said that. Are they really real? ???

I doubt it. I suspect the Sun has distorted his words a bit.

Bullard would be a good buy in our situation. In looking at the anchor position in midfield, Smith and Nolan are too slow, and Butt is too shit.

Guest Stephen927

He's 31 and his fitness has been questionable. He doesn't really fit into the master plan of buying players at a certain age.

He's a great passer and seems like a great guy to have in the squad but obviously too injury prone to be relied on..

We have Guthrie, Barton and Nolan who play in the same position.

Still, it's about time somebody we fix the midfield.. Barton, Smith, Butt, Nolan are all paid too much and must all go. Hopefully we'll get rid of at least a couple of them this summer.

Guest jonlane86

Not a chance. Falling back to old habits if we start doing that. There must be a better midfielder who is younger and commands less wages.

This, plus injury prone.

He's meant to be on about £60k per week at Hull.

If he's over the worst of his injury problems and if he was willing to sign a pay-as-you-play type deal on a much lower wage he'd be worth going for, despite his age.

High wages, always injured, getting old.

I think this is the regime you are meant to be avoiding?

Aye, it won't happen. Anybody over the age of 26 is pretty much a no go now.