Champions League (Semi finals, 2nd legs)

Tooj

all english Final

Which is great considering were not in E2008

My overriding feeling about tonight. Down the pub, all the lads thought i was some sort of hero as it was going to be an all-english affair. It was actually me that had to point out the actual number of englishmen possibly lining up in Moscow. Still, funny watching it with a Barcelona lad as they've been shit all season and Man U have been amazing but you couldn't tell it. Exciting match due to how tight it was too.

Ronaldo was fucking cack and a prick for half the match, Tevez was dynamite loved his performance, Deco should have won it for Barcelona in the first half, Messi was immense as usual. 

Barcelona could have played for another 7 hours and still wouldn't have scored.

Proves how much Ronaldinho is missed.

No coincidence Barcelona have only scored 4 in the last 8 matches.

Seriously though - why don't they just play 2 up front? They'd score a hell of a lot more goals, and it's not as if the midfielders are there to protect the back 4.

Ronaldo goes missing in yet another big game but the commentators were having none of it his performance was "measured"...

Aye he was bollocks tonight.

Nice the game was won with such a fantastic goal. World Class.

Measured? Not tracking back, drifting out of defensive position and standing around auditioning for Rada when he loses the ball? The only thing measured was the size of his brain with a pea.

Thought Brown coped very well tonight, usually bottles under the occasions as people stated already Tevez and Park played very well, but Messi was easily the MOM. He was the creator in everything but Etoo's had a first touch of a rapist. Bojan should have got more game time along with Henry

Messi is a fantastic player.

He totally upstaged Ronaldo in these two games. Not saying that would always be the case, but it's how it was this time.

Messi only takes on a guy or two then little end product.

altough alot that COULD be brilliant, but in these semi's it wasnt.

Messi is a fantastic player.

He totally upstaged Ronaldo in these two games. Not saying that would always be the case, but it's how it was this time.

Messi only takes on a guy or two then little end product.

altough alot that COULD be brilliant, but in these semi's it wasnt.

What I thought.  It could've been different had Rooney been fit and Ronaldo been allowed to drift further out wide.

Was actually very surprised by Darren Fletcher when he came on. Had the coolest head on the pitch and found his man everytime, even under pressure.

True. Also thought Rio was fantastic. Vastly under-rated. Now don't get me wrong, I like to make fun of his 'linen' story as much the next guy, but what a player. Intimidates strikers that should be intimidating him. Also a cool head and decent technique.

Re: Ronaldo v Messi. Messi is the better player, I would say, but Ronaldo is far more destructive against weaker opposition, which is why he'll be in the limelight. Ronaldo isn't exactly shite, but he clearly struggles against decent opposition. Messi isn't as immediately devastating, but the opposition are less likely to throw him off his game.

Finally, ya gots to love Scholes' strike.

Guest nufc_geordie

Was actually very surprised by Darren Fletcher when he came on. Had the coolest head on the pitch and found his man everytime, even under pressure.

Always quite liked Darren Fletcher as a player. Ferguson has always relied on him in the big games. I reckon he is half a yard of pace missing from being a top top player. As it is he will always be relied on as a steady Eddy in a top team like Man Utd. Would be a good acquisition for Newcastle in place of Geremi.

Also thought Wes Brown was awesome last night. Ferdinand will again wake up w*nk stained from David Pleat, but it was Wes Brown who looked wholly the England player last night and Rio was shaky occassionally. Walked Man of the Match for me with Tevez behind him.

Some great football and very exciting, but in the end both teams lacked a cutting edge that would match their approach play. One goal in 180 minutes tells its own story. Neither team had a really top notch centre-forward type to lead the line. (Eto'o looked past his best and seemed to roam around quite a lot.)

I'd fancy Chelsea to win it now, though Man U have got just enough left in the tank to stagger over the finishing line in the Premiership.

I was really surprised with Brown yesterday. I don't rate him, but yesterday, he was top class, don't think he put a foot wrong all game.

Park is, for me, the worlds most underrated player, He's fantastic, a joy to watch at times. Nothing fancy about him, but he just does everything right.

True. Also thought Rio was fantastic. Vastly under-rated. Now don't get me wrong, I like to make fun of his 'linen' story as much the next guy, but what a player. Intimidates strikers that should be intimidating him. Also a cool head and decent technique.

Re: Ronaldo v Messi. Messi is the better player, I would say, but Ronaldo is far more destructive against weaker opposition, which is why he'll be in the limelight. Ronaldo isn't exactly s****, but he clearly struggles against decent opposition. Messi isn't as immediately devastating, but the opposition are less likely to throw him off his game.

Finally, ya gots to love Scholes' strike.

Agree with this post almost entirely.

Ferdinand and Brown where both brilliant. Rio's always been class and there's no doubt about his pedigree (best English defender for awhile now) but Brown surprised me. Didn't put a foot wrong all game.

Totally agree on the Ronaldo v. Messi front. Ronaldo lost the ball countless times and he looked frustrated. Didn't do much good all game tbh.

What a goal by Scholes. Such a brilliant player and in some ways i'm glad he'll play in a CL final.

What annoys me about Cristiano is the way he goes on when he gets tackled, that look of "how dare they do this to me" as he just stands there waving his arms about or holding his hips.

Rio Ferdinand is fucking amazing. He was cutting out everything, bullying eto'o, intercepting passes and launching attacks, 10x better than John Terry like. Messi was good with the ball, but severely lacked end product (mainly due to a lack of options). Manure contained them well, passed it well, defended well and scored a great goal (knew it was in as soon as it fell to the ginger one). Ronaldo was quiet, but I wasn't sure what his role was. Park had a great game too, underrated for me. Barca were very disappointing, Millito looked clumsy too.

For everyone who thinks Ronaldo is the best player in the world, Messi was head and shoulders above him he did not deserve to be on the losing team.

Any reasoning with that?

I feel on the big stage where you expect your big players to perfrom Ronaldo did nothing for me and Messi was a threat everytime he touched the ball.

What annoys me about Cristiano is the way he goes on when he gets tackled, that look of "how dare they do this to me" as he just stands there waving his arms about or holding his hips.

The one when he folded his arms was pathetic.

Could've easily been sent off last night, gave away a foul in the corner late on after he'd been booked which could easily have been a booking.

The way he plays for the free-kick is poor though, often lookslike it is all is looking for when he gets the ball unlike say Messi who's first instinct is to beat the man. (not saying that Messi doesn't go down a lot)

Could've easily been sent off last night, gave away a foul in the corner late on after he'd been booked which could easily have been a booking.

The way he plays for the free-kick is poor though, often lookslike it is all is looking for when he gets the ball unlike say Messi who's first instinct is to beat the man. (not saying that Messi doesn't go down a lot)

Yeah, I agree with Tooj and you here like. I think Ronaldo is a great player, as good or possibly even better than Messi, but he needs to try and beat his man instead of going down for the free-kick every time.

For everyone who thinks Ronaldo is the best player in the world, Messi was head and shoulders above him he did not deserve to be on the losing team.

Any reasoning with that?

Yes...I am also waiting for the reasoning! :-)

I also hate his gestures...but that doesn't change the fact, that he's probably the best (most influental) footballer around the globe atm.