Milner to Liverpool?

Guest Coubury

And even if the offer is real, then surely we wouldn't have turned it down? Three players in their teens, how could we say no?

indeed, they may all turn out to be the next Peter Beardsley

Hobbs is the centre half they bought from Lincoln for a fair sum.

His first  game for them was a friendly against a german team that was on telly a couple of summers back, he cost them 2/3 goals single handedly and ended up in tears :lol: He's had a few Carling Cup games and the like since then and doesn't look anything special.

Seem to remember he played when Reading beat them 3-1 on telly this season just gone.

He would offer fuck all to Newcastle.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Liverpool win race to sign James Milner

By James Nursey  12/06/2008

The Mirror

Rafa Benitez is set to inflict more misery on Aston Villa by beating them to Newcastle star James Milner, as Liverpool also close in on Gareth Barry.

Boss Benitez and Anfield chief executive Rick Parry have made contact with the Magpies to offer Jermaine Pennant in part-exchange for Milner.

And the clubs are now haggling over how much cash Liverpool must also pay for £7million-rated Milner, who penned a new four-year contract last July.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley wants to raise funds for new players and trim the the club's wage bill while ambitious Milner is keen for European football to boost his England ambitions.

The winger's likely move to Merseyside is another huge blow for Villa manager Martin O'Neill, who tried to sign Milner in August 2006 and wants him this summer.

O'Neill has already been fighting a losing and increasingly tense battle to keep Villa's inspirational captain Barry out of the Reds' clutches.

AdvertisementBut Villa are resigned to the versatile 27-year-old midfielder quitting after he told O'Neill this month he wanted to move to Anfield.

Parry is putting the finishing touches to a third cash bid of £15m, with £3m in add-ons, for Barry which Liverpool hope will finally ensure they get permission to speak to the ace.

Villa are holding out for £20m but Barry, who has 20 England caps, is on standby to open talks with the Anfield giants after returning from holiday and a compromise is set to be thrashed out.

Liverpool are also hopeful of securing the arrival of Newcastle's 22-year-old former Leeds trainee Milner using fellow winger Pennant as bait.

Pennant, 25, is surplus to requirements after failing to make a sustained impact since a £6.7m move from Birmingham in July 2006 and was originally offered to Villa in the Reds' first £10m bid for Barry.

If that is true I would be fairly happy.  pennant is a bloody good player and can actually cross the ball, something that Milner seems to be able to do only on occasions!

Wonder whether Keegan is thinking of using Pennant as the creative midfield player in a midfield 3?? 

Just looking forward to seeing some players coming in rather than going out at the moment though!!

Disagree, Pennant hasn't been very good for Liverpoo", patchy at best and has a seriously suspect attitude, I'd be dissapointed.  If we are going to let Milner go, let's at least get somebody better than Pennant

Disagree, Pennant hasn't been very good for Liverpoo", patchy at best and has a seriously suspect attitude, I'd be dissapointed.  If we are going to let Milner go, let's at least get somebody better than Pennant

Pennant has done alright for them and he's better than Milner in allot of ways, I see Pennant doing better at a club that doesn't win things all the time! lol

If the club play this one right we could start a bit of an auction and drive the price up. Boro, Liverpool and Villa all seem interested so we can afford to be arsey and reject a few bids before settling for about £8m.

Which is double what he's actually worth imo. :)

Guest toonlass

I would be happy with Pennant and cash for milner. Milner can't beat the first man when he takes a corner.

ideally, we'll have both Pennant and Milner here next season.. not that any of them is a world class player, but some healthy competition for the RM spot could up their game..

anyways, if the rumored offer is true, I'd still accept it, as Pennant is marginally the better winger..

Rafa really loves his negative football doesn't he. I can imagine he really loves Milners workrate and defensive work, as that is the one thing Milner is consistently good at. As far as any sort of quality going forward though, that is a once in a blue moon occurence from James. But compared to Kuyt he is probably an upgrade on that right wing, in the sense that Milner will at least look like a winger once in a while, whereas Kuyt offers nothing a winger should going forward.

Pennant is not marginally better than Milner, he is miles better as an attacking threat. I believe if Pennant is given a chance to play more regularly he will perform really well. Keegan will encourage him to express himself and he could flourish.

Fuck me if Milner and Shola leave, we'll making Villa's squad look huge.

I doubt it.

With seven subs next season, we currently can't fill 11 starting places and a full bench (assuming that fat arsed traitor fucks off to Liverpool)

I doubt it.

With seven subs next season, we currently can't fill 11 starting places and a full bench (assuming that fat arsed traitor fucks off to Liverpool)

Bit harsh on Barry isn't it? :lol:

If we do let Milner go the it has to be some kind of swap deal, or we will just be yet another player down. The squad is getting weaker and weaker and we do not seem to be able to sign anyone. Yeah okay plenty of time left to sign a few but it seems most we are linked with go elsewhere

or stay put and sign a new deal.

Milner can go for me for the right price I have no problem with that, he may be a sound pro and a level headed lad but he has never really set the game on fire has he. Still we need to buy before we sell or swap him at least.

I doubt it.

No.

People assume he's been here ages because he's turned down loads of chances to leave. Two years ago he was about to join Portsmouth, the only real bid we've ever had for him. He was on the verge of going.

Then MON arrived, told him he'd make him an England regular (lest we forget, he was nowhere near the England side for five years), and lo and behold, he does just that.

Last time I saw Barry playing, he was wearing an England shirt and a captain's armband.

Then he gets the chance to leave and go and play with his bumfriend Gerrard, so we get the pathetic initial bid released to the press by Benitez, followed by Gerrard's disgraceful "please buy him, oh and by the way, no disrespect to Villa" bullshit, and then - worst of all - when we don't bend over and accept their first offer, Barry gets his agent to do the "please let him go, he needs CL football" routine in the media.

He's treated us with no respect whatsoever, and at the first chance has decided to jump ship to the team we're allegedly trying to beat into the CL places.

I don't often agree with the "player owes club" thing, but there is no doubt whatsoever that Barry at least allows us the dignity of not getting his agent to say those things in the media, at the very least.

f*** me if Milner and Shola leave, we'll making Villa's squad look huge.

I doubt it.

No.

People assume he's been here ages because he's turned down loads of chances to leave. Two years ago he was about to join Portsmouth, the only real bid we've ever had for him. He was on the verge of going.

Then MON arrived, told him he'd make him an England regular (lest we forget, he was nowhere near the England side for five years), and lo and behold, he does just that.

Last time I saw Barry playing, he was wearing an England shirt and a captain's armband.

Then he gets the chance to leave and go and play with his bumfriend Gerrard, so we get the pathetic initial bid released to the press by Benitez, followed by Gerrard's disgraceful "please buy him, oh and by the way, no disrespect to Villa" bullshit, and then - worst of all - when we don't bend over and accept their first offer, Barry gets his agent to do the "please let him go, he needs CL football" routine in the media.

He's treated us with no respect whatsoever, and at the first chance has decided to jump ship to the team we're allegedly trying to beat into the CL places.

I don't often agree with the "player owes club" thing, but there is no doubt whatsoever that Barry at least allows us the dignity of not getting his agent to say those things in the media, at the very least.

RELAX MAN!! :D

Villa have knocked back the new improved offer of £15million from Liverpool..