The Shola Ameobi thread

Crumpy Gunt

• 2 weeks later...

give the lad a chance ffs!  :frantic: 172 games and 8 years quite clearly hasn`t been enough!

--

AMEOBI PLEADS FOR CHANCE

Forgotten man Shola Ameobi is desperate for a chance to prove he can be Newcastle's saviour.

The 27-year-old has enjoyed the one-to-one attentions of interim manager Joe Kinnear at times in the last week after he vowed to turn him into a modern-day John Fashanu.

That process cannot be completed quickly enough for the Magpies, who will be without £17million skipper Michael Owen for Monday night's Premier League clash with Manchester City as he recovers from a groin injury.

Obafemi Martins has a chance of starting after returning to training from a knee problem, but Ameobi, who might have left the club during the summer as a succession of Championship suitors tested the water, is ready to remind people of the player he believes he can be.

He said: "Football is a funny game at times. A week is a long time in football and I just take every week as it comes.

"The game is about moving on and certainly, I thought that was the case for me, but it wasn't to be.

"I have just got to make the most of where I am, I have always said that, and hopefully I can help this team climb up that table.

"We have got a couple of important games coming up and I want to be as fit as possible to help us achieve maximum points in those two games."

Ameobi has not scored a league goal for his home-town club - he arrived on Tyneside from Nigeria as a child - since his penalty in a 2-1 home defeat by Bolton on October 15, 2006, and his last from open play came against Everton three weeks earlier.

However, with Australian Mark Viduka sidelined indefinitely, his physical prowess could be an asset, and that has been the focus for Kinnear.

Ameobi said: "It's playing my position, it's getting me into the old habits again, the old routines I used to have and playing as a centre-forward, which is obviously where I want to play.

"It's getting me playing up top and staying there and being a target man for the team.

"I certainly enjoy playing that role and hopefully I will get a chance to play there a bit more."

Ameobi might have ended his personal drought in the 2-2 draw at Everton last time out when, having come off the bench, he worked his way into an excellent position to claim a famous winner, only to square for the better-placed Charles N'Zogbia, who was denied by Leighton Baines' superb block.

But that point at Goodison Park, which ended a run of five successive defeats, has had a galvanising effect at a club which is once again in turmoil.

Ameobi said: "Obviously, it's been a tough four or five weeks for us as a club and certainly, the arrival of Joe Kinnear has livened the place up.

"The result last Sunday was great for us and our confidence, the fightback we had there, and the morale in the camp has been raised.

"Certainly, it is testament to what Joe has brought. He has brought a confidence back to us and hopefully we can carry that on and get a win tomorrow.

"They [City] have had an injection of cash and have brought a few players in. They have some very good players now and it will be a tough match.

"But we are at home, we are full of confidence again and it should be an exciting match in which hopefully, we can come out on top."

I like how Shola says he is desperate for his chance. He's had his fucking chance. Every year since he fucking got here. Just fucking give up Shola. You're a semi-decent player at the best of times.

If JFK could make Carl Cort look a player then maybe he can improve Shola who is drinking once again in the last chance saloon.

Carl Cort looked OK when he first came to us but was troubled by injuries, Shola just isn't good enough.

his best game in years. it's definitely yet another false dawn though.

That's exactly what I said, I've ripped in to him and hate seeing him in the team but tonight he's actually justified his place in the team.  Andy Carroll is the new Ameobi as once again he was shocking, he makes Shola look fast.

Credit to him for providing that moment of magic for the 1st goal tbh. People may question the fortune regarding the deflections beforehand, but the face control from Duff was elegant, meaning the defender was too slow to react, and what can I say about the finish. Accurate, deadly, and indeed got so much power on it he lost his footing. Wonderful stuff.