Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

You can say that i'm looking for excuses for the guy here, but i honestly don't think i am. Anyway.

One thing. Jonas is far better at delivering a ball from deep. I've seen him pick out a lot of very nice, near undefendable, through balls from, say, 5/10 yards away from the corner of the box. He is a s**** crosser of the ball but then that's not his game. That doesn't make him a s*** winger, it just makes him an unconventional one. This isn't the nineties - you don't have to have the crossing ability or Beckham, or - in our terms - Keith Gillespie. It's still important though, which leads me onto...

Another thing. If we had another fucker in the side who could compensate for his lack of delivery, then we might actually be alright. unfortunately, Duff is just so inept at everything - just totally ineffectual - and it just shifts the pressure onto Jonas and it's unfortunate for the guy really. I really wish we'd taken a punt on Pennant. Jonas is more of a luxury player, in a certain context, and this is why i've said before that he'd be f***ing class in a Bobby team. If we had a traditional winger in there to do the proper tracking back, the crossing - then having Jonas in the side aswell would be a wonderful bonus. Unfortunately though, cos Duff is painfully s****, we're relying on him and it's just not his game.

Another thing. Jonas is great at beating players and most of the failed crosses, that i saw, were from near the byline. Even then, if his 'crosses' are pea-rollers, it doesn't have to matter as much as it did today. If we had the intelligence of a striker, who would come deep, come short, receive the ball, pass it around more - then we might be alright. It's still all very route one. Get to byline, cross. It doens't have to be. Lovenkrands looked alright with the ball at his feet so i don't see why it's imperative to cross from the byline. Just work it in! So very one dimensional. Jonas would have countless assists if we made an attempt at this more often.

Speaking of which though, we saw a glimpse of Nolan arriving late - he missed the ball by a foot but he might have had a shooting chance. That was from a Jonas run/cut back.

So anyhow - i know i'm going on about how this is everyone else's fault, and tbh - i'm not gonna deny that. That's exactly what i'm saying. Jonas is a bloody good player, terribly unorthodox however. Sticking him on the left, whilst is an improvement, doesn't constitute to 'playing to his game'.

Thats where Owen comes in (for the rest of the season). Martins would've helped Jonas a lot more today as well. He would've given Jonas someone to aim at and even play off. Thats when Jonas is very effective, imo. When he cuts inside and links up with people- because thats the way he plays. As Yorkie said, he's not your average 90's winger like Gillespie.

I honestly think Lua Lua should replace Duff next week. Whether his crossing is good I dont know but he'll take a bit of the work load of Jonas' shoulders thats for sure.

I hope so too because that would mean Joe Kinnear is no longer manager.

:lol:

I was thinking how slim the chances are as well...

It would have helped if one person across the entire 90mins had gambled near post.

Yep, we were static upfront for the majority of the match. You just cannot play Carroll AND Ameobi upfront together......you just cant- their too similar and offers us no pace or movement whatsoever.

Micheal Owen would've nicked a couple of goals this afternoon im sure of it.

I wouldn't of minded JFK swaping Jonas & Duff round at some point in the game but I guess he knows Duff & Jose on the same flank is weak.

They did swap for a while in the second half but it didn't last long as we lost what Jonas and Enrique were able to do to the mackems.

I wouldn't of minded JFK swaping Jonas & Duff round at some point in the game but I guess he knows Duff & Jose on the same flank is weak.

They did swap for a while in the second half but it didn't last long as we lost what Jonas and Enrique were able to do to the mackems.

Did they? I just thought that was Duff fucking around out of position.

we were all over them all game tbh. it really does show how poor shola and carroll are that the only goal we scored was from a (well taken) penalty.

???

I must have been watching a different game.

His final ball today was totally shite, and for that, he was no better than Duff, even for all his meaningless possesion he had. Every ball was a cross into the centre, low, that Ferdinand booted off the penalty spot.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

You can say that i'm looking for excuses for the guy here, but i honestly don't think i am. Anyway.

One thing. Jonas is far better at delivering a ball from deep. I've seen him pick out a lot of very nice, near undefendable, through balls from, say, 5/10 yards away from the corner of the box. He is a s**** crosser of the ball but then that's not his game. That doesn't make him a s*** winger, it just makes him an unconventional one. This isn't the nineties - you don't have to have the crossing ability or Beckham, or - in our terms - Keith Gillespie. It's still important though, which leads me onto...

Another thing. If we had another fucker in the side who could compensate for his lack of delivery, then we might actually be alright. unfortunately, Duff is just so inept at everything - just totally ineffectual - and it just shifts the pressure onto Jonas and it's unfortunate for the guy really. I really wish we'd taken a punt on Pennant. Jonas is more of a luxury player, in a certain context, and this is why i've said before that he'd be f***ing class in a Bobby team. If we had a traditional winger in there to do the proper tracking back, the crossing - then having Jonas in the side aswell would be a wonderful bonus. Unfortunately though, cos Duff is painfully s****, we're relying on him and it's just not his game.

Another thing. Jonas is great at beating players and most of the failed crosses, that i saw, were from near the byline. Even then, if his 'crosses' are pea-rollers, it doesn't have to matter as much as it did today. If we had the intelligence of a striker, who would come deep, come short, receive the ball, pass it around more - then we might be alright. It's still all very route one. Get to byline, cross. It doens't have to be. Lovenkrands looked alright with the ball at his feet so i don't see why it's imperative to cross from the byline. Just work it in! So very one dimensional. Jonas would have countless assists if we made an attempt at this more often.

Speaking of which though, we saw a glimpse of Nolan arriving late - he missed the ball by a foot but he might have had a shooting chance. That was from a Jonas run/cut back.

So anyhow - i know i'm going on about how this is everyone else's fault, and tbh - i'm not gonna deny that. That's exactly what i'm saying. Jonas is a bloody good player, terribly unorthodox however. Sticking him on the left, whilst is an improvement, doesn't constitute to 'playing to his game'.

Thats where Owen comes in (for the rest of the season). Martins would've helped Jonas a lot more today as well. He would've given Jonas someone to aim at and even play off. Thats when Jonas is very effective, imo. When he cuts inside and links up with people- because thats the way he plays. As Yorkie said, he's not your average 90's winger like Gillespie.

I honestly think Lua Lua should replace Duff next week. Whether his crossing is good I dont know but he'll take a bit of the work load of Jonas' shoulders thats for sure.

Duff was good today tbh.

are you on crack?

It would have helped if one person across the entire 90mins had gambled near post.

Exactly Dave, spot on! One could argue that Jonas should have crossed the ball like a conventional English winger but that is just not the way he has been playing/training. Crespo was probably the last of Argentinian CF who would find those sort of lofted crosses useful. The likes of Tevez would definitely prefer through balls and short passes into the box which is what Jonas is doing.

For centre forwards though, there is just no excuse in not attacking the near post time and time again. Wherever you play, it's basic CF play that one CF should stay at the back post and the other should attack the near post. The number of times that Carroll and Ameobi just stood at the far post was just embarassing.

His final ball today was totally shite, and for that, he was no better than Duff, even for all his meaningless possesion he had. Every ball was a cross into the centre, low, that Ferdinand booted off the penalty spot.

agreed

also agree that with him on the left balance is required...best type of wide man combo there is in my book, one like spidey who is dangerous with the ball & then a beckham/solano type who can consistently deliver dangerous crosses into the box

obviously 2 players who can do it all would be the best but that's hard to come by...is taylor the type with a bit of quality in his delivery?  not seen enough of him to say myself

agreed

also agree that with him on the left balance is required...best type of wide man combo there is in my book, one like spidey who is dangerous with the ball & then a beckham/solano type who can consistently deliver dangerous crosses into the box

obviously 2 players who can do it all would be the best but that's hard to come by...is taylor the type with a bit of quality in his delivery?  not seen enough of him to say myself

Only seen him live v Toon, but have seen him a few times on TV and his delivery, both at dead balls and in play seem pretty god to me. better than what we currently have in Beye & Enrique.

NEWCASTLE’S derby man of the match Jonas Gutierrez has revealed he only wants to be judged on working hard for his team-mates ahead of their mammoth battle to fend off relegation.

The Argentine winger’s lack of assists this season since joining from Real Mallorca has proved a frustration this term.

But nobody can fault the South American’s work-rate or his graft off the ball.

And with three yellow cards for Sunderland players booked for cynical fouls on the United ace, it proved the Black Cats did everything they could to stop the Argentina international.

Jonas told the Chronicle: “I just want to work hard for the team and I think I did that along with rest of the players.

“I felt good in the game but feel disappointed now because we didn’t win it for the fans.

“I was told beforehand how important it was to win against Sunderland but at least we showed some fight.

“The performance in the second half was better but in football the team that plays better doesn’t always win.

“So we have to take a point.”

Jonas emerged from the derby nursing a few bruises yet admits he is prepared to take the knocks.

He said: “It happened a few times and some of their players were booked.

“I can take it, I knew that when I came to England that players get kicked in the Premier League, especially in derby games.

“But I was surprised that the referee didn’t produce a second yellow cards at times.

“I have no complaints though. If I get kicked and there is no intention that’s fine – it’s a contact sport.”

Meanwhile, Jonas is still confident that United can climb out of troubled waters at the wrong end of the table.

He added: “I have heard some of the players talking about the last 14 games being like cup finals.

“I agree with that. Every point we get helps us but we know that we must start winning games too.

“It will be tough next week against West Brom because there is plenty at stake.”

LEGEND! My friend who was watching it with me, was impressed by him and how Bassong has developed from his time at Metz. My friend is french btw. But he also thought the rest of the players on the pithc were quite poor.

Guest Mucky01

for all the hard work and dazling runs at the opposition, I am convinced Jonas is incapable when he is running with the ball of even ‘seeing a pass’, never mind actually making that pass.

Running into dead ends every time (unless he wins a free kick) seems to be his only end product.

for all the hard work and dazling runs at the opposition, I am convinced Jonas is incapable when he is running with the ball of even ‘seeing a pass’, never mind actually making that pass.

Running into dead ends every time (unless he wins a free kick) seems to be his only end product.

There's barely ever a fucking pass on man. He picked out Owen no bother against Stoke...

Jonas needs to stop playing so deep

Eh? His best work comes from him picking the ball up deep and running with it...

I disagree. He's beating the winger, not the full-back. He's playing like a LWB most of time and is too far behind play to cause real damage on the break

Jonas needs to stop playing so deep

Eh? His best work comes from him picking the ball up deep and running with it...

I disagree. He's beating the winger, not the full-back. He's playing like a LWB most of time and is too far behind play to cause real damage on the break

I'd rather have him deep because he can't cross from the byline/no one drops deep and offers themself for a pass when he gets there.

Guest Howaythetoon

Lacks courage in the final 3rd, needs to start taking responsibility. Yeah the work rate is good but give me Robert's end product over Jonas' work ethic. Crossing is piss poor. He's an excellent footballer, works like a donkey, but we need far more in the final 3rd. Frustrating as hell.

Guest fading star

Jonas is a good player but he’s trying to do too much, for obvious reasons. In a decent team he’d be far more effective.