Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

I hate when people suggest that English football is all hoof and hope and other leagues football is so much better because they pass it around.

It's a load of tosh, it's not difficult to make about 50 sideways passes before final making a positive one. It doesn't make the football any purer, in fact it's probably the opposite, football is about entertaining and no league in the world is as exciting as the PL. The ball is "develeoped in midfield" as Jonas here suggests it's not, it's just done a lot faster, without the unnecessary fannying on. It's obviously pretty effective too considering the success English clubs have had through history.

Sorry that's a lot tosh right there. With the exception of the top 4 and perhaps Villa and just maybe ourselves (based on one game this season), lots of EPL clubs dont bother playing through the middle. The reason why pundits rant and rave about the way Arsenal play is because they are the exception to the rule. In La Liga, even mid table teams play the Arsenal way (though obviously with less success). How many ball playing centre backs are there in the EPL, whi can get the ball out of defence and pass teh ball to midfield. Most just hoof the ball to clear, rely on their target man striker to get the ball down and if he is good enough, get others involved.

You're also dead wrong when you suggest that the other leagues (particularly La Liga just pass the ball sideways). It's about keeping possession and passing and moving till you see an opening, that's not as easy as you suggest, painfully obvious in England game's yesterday when our midfielders (even those playing for the big 4) struggle to keep possession for any meaningful amount of time.

Yes the EPL is perhaps the most exciting league in the world but that's not because the teams play beuatiful football.

Bollocks of the highest degree.

Ok you win  :lol:

FWIW, I thought Jonas looked like an exceptional athlete, and that energetic style might make him better suited to the Premiership than La Liga.

I agree, he's got heart, works hard, is commited and has no small amount of ability. All attributes which as much appreciated within the Prem.

Gutiérrez makes himself at home

Aug 25 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

KEVIN Keegan has admitted he has never seen a player settle into English football as quickly as Jonás Gutiérrez after the Argentina winger delivered another excellent performance against Bolton.

Gutiérrez has quickly established himself as a crowd favourite, but the former Real Mallorca man is also a hit in the dressing room says his manager. And, with a combination of craft, guile and determination, Keegan is convinced he is going to be a big success.

He said: “I’ve never known a player settle so quickly. That’s how he came into the club. Day one he put his music on, spoke in English to everybody and walked out on the training ground.

“We did a bleep test on him and I’ve never seen anyone run like that. The next day we did a bit of football and I turned round to Terry Mac and said: ‘The fans are going to love him here’. That was the view of all my staff. Wow.

“He’s got that dual strength of ability and putting work rate on the end of it. It’s a wonderful combination. That’s what the fans love about him already, tackling, working hard, tracking back.”

Much has been made of the recruitment process at United with executive director (football) Dennis Wise and head of recruitment Tony Jimenez supposedly in charge of signing the players.

But, whatever the situation – and Keegan is adamant he retains the final say on new arrivals – he is delighted with Gutiérrez and his compatriot Fabricio Coloccini.

He added: “These two guys I’ve fetched in have played in Spain. That was their first move, that’s the hardest one for them. Spain was good for them because it was the same language. The two we’ve got are top notch. They’re not gambles. They can play at the highest level and have done.”

Meanwhile, Keegan admitted it is up to him and his players to provide the football that will bring the fans back to St James’s Park after only 47,711 turned up on Saturday.

He said: “The onus is on us to get people in to come and want to watch Newcastle United.

“If we do well they’ll come. I don’t think we’ll be the only club who get affected at this time of year, a lot of people are on holiday, the credit crunch is there. It’s our job to make them want to come back.’’

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/25/guti-rrez-makes-himself-at-home-61634-21597861/

Guest Howaythetoon
The next day we did a bit of football and I turned round to Terry Mac and said: ‘The fans are going to love him here’. That was the view of all my staff. Wow.

That's what I love about KK, it is all about the fans with him.

Going to make another match compilation for yesterdays game, if you want to suggest a few songs seen as you can't please anyone these days :lol:

Also, if anyone still wants a link from last week just ask ;)

I'd like the link, thanks.

Before this thread turns further into 'PM me' fest, anyone who would like to get Enrique's attention on any matter, please PM him, rather than using this thread. Thanks.

Big Jonas Vs Coventry compilation coming up tomorrow  :colo:

AND

Before this thread turns further into 'PM me' fest, anyone who would like to get Enrique's attention on any matter, please PM him, rather than using this thread. Thanks.

I find the EPL entertaining precisely because it's ten strong, quick bastards on each side hoofing the ball around and beating the s*** out of each other to get it.  :snod:

I love this 'EPL' thing.

I bet the average man on the street in England who doesnt use he t'internet wouldnt have a clue what it meant if someone asked him if he followed the 'EPL'.

Yet it is given in the wide world of t'internet.

Just an observation.

I find the EPL entertaining precisely because it's ten strong, quick bastards on each side hoofing the ball around and beating the s*** out of each other to get it.  :snod:

I love this 'EPL' thing.

I bet the average man on the street in England who doesnt use he t'internet wouldnt have a clue what it meant if someone asked him if he followed the 'EPL'.

Yet it is given in the wide world of t'internet.

Just an observation.

it's an American/Asian thing

I've seen Jonas Gutierrez compared to Robert and Ginola but with tracking back abilities. He's started well and seems to have settled into the 'English game' so far but he doesn't seem to have the offensive abilities of Robert or Ginola. He is good at running at people but doesn't seem to get into shooting positions. He isn't well known for scoring goals (4 in his time in Spain isn't it?).

I've seen Jonas Gutierrez compared to Robert and Ginola but with tracking back abilities. He's started well and seems to have settled into the 'English game' so far but he doesn't seem to have the offensive abilities of Robert or Ginola. He is good at running at people but doesn't seem to get into shooting positions. He isn't well known for scoring goals (4 in his time in Spain isn't it?).

Sadly i agree. I think he's being slightly over hyped by a few. When he gets the opportunity to cross he is very good but i think i remember him crossing the ball once last night.

Sadly i agree. I think he's being slightly over hyped by a few. When he gets the opportunity to cross he is very good but i think i remember him crossing the ball once last night.

He wasn't playing out wide though last night.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Jonas is what KK says he is, a massive team player. He is strong, skilful, fit and quick but dosnt have the explosive shooting abilities of Ginola or Robert.

However, he has far more of an alround game than those two and his crossing ability is phenominal when he gets the opportunity. He will become a bigger legend than both of those

He wasn't playing out wide though last night.

Good point but i don't think i saw one cross againt Bolton either. I like the guy, don't get me wrong but for someone with such a good cross he doesn't do it often enough. Still plenty of time for that to change.