Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

I've said it far too much already and to each their own and all that but I personally am fucking sick of reading and hearing people complaining about our transfer business this window. Why is it so hard to wait till the end of the window to make fair judgements?

Make the rest of us fans look bad.

We've bought a current Argentine International - positive and fact

We've bid a club record amount for a player - positive and fact

Why are people being so negative?

I've said it far too much already and to each their own and all that but I personally am fucking sick of reading and hearing people complaining about our transfer business this window. Why is it so hard to wait till the end of the window to make fair judgements?

'Cos it's cool to moan now then sneak away quietly if things turn out alright. And if things don't, 'I told you so'.

Basically, by predicting doom people can't lose.

Because Spurs liek footsball.

Are you going to acknowledge the £8m bid they turned down from one of our competitors wasn't 'all paper talk' then? Seem to have conveniently missed my post.

It´s a quote from a dodgy chairman (http://www.mallorcacharteredsurveyors.com/en-news.asp?id=28) desperate to recoup some money to make up for his failings whilst in the process of selling up the club. It sounds rather like whinging to me, and I don´t know what to make of it.. Anyway, as I´ve said before, it´s not about this particular signing that I am increasingly concerned, it´s about our comparative low spending and our cost cutting culture compared to our competitors.

Agree completely.

The low spending thing might well stand up I suppose, but where is the 'cost cutting culture' info coming from? Just the rags from what I can see, and they've demonstrated in the last week exactly how much they know about us. It's just rumour at this stage. Well there was a rumour posted last night that the salary cap thing is bollocks, why not believe that instead?

It'll all come out in the wash. Let's judge at the close of the transfer window and then how we do next season.

If it was all purely about how much we spend, we'd have done a hell of a lot better under the last lot* than we did.

*Not a criticism before anyone starts...

Even then,the "low spending" thing doesn't stand up on this occasion because, as I've pointed out about five times to the "show me the money, I've heard Albert Luque's available for £10m" brigade, the lad's paid his contract up meaning his value and what we've paid are mutually exclusive.

Without wanting to sound like James, this Webster rule can potentially change football even more than Bosman did. We should be pleased that we're taking advantage to get good players cheaply. I don't know if he is a good player, I know nowt about him, but we didn't just pluck his name out of nowhere in midweek - again, we're falling into the trap of assuming the papers know anything at all. We'll have been tracking him and I've no doubt that Wise/KK/Vetere and Jimenez will be sure of what they've got.

If Ronaldo pays his contract up tomorrow (yeah I know James, he can't), it doesn't automatically make him worth any less for God's sake.

Guest Heneage

Tell me how much Arsenal spent on players in the last 5-10 years. Im not saying "Lets go buy half of Africa for a tenner" but by the same accord you have to mix it up.

'Cos it's cool to moan now then sneak away quietly if things turn out alright. And if things don't, 'I told you so'.

Basically, by predicting doom people can't lose.

Unless next season is glorious, and lets face it with KK we can't fail.

Before i start i still would've preferred SWP.

Overstating the player's credentials. Bassedas likewise was a fringe player - ie. something like 20 appearances over a 5 year frame, give or take a year, while he was in their selction frame - at international level for Argentina before we signed him and i wasn't jumping for joy when we signed him for what was still at the time a modest fee.

I have a great deal of respect for the current crop of Argentianian internationals - both at senior & youth levels - and hopefully he fits into the same category as D'Alessandro as being one of those whose talent might begin to find their feet during their mid-20's after not exactly setting the world on fire in the wake of them moving from Argentina to the Continent, and lets admit that 5 goals in ninety-something appearances isn't productive in a league which has great depth when it comes to goal scoring & creative wingers. I hope he pans out for us, but at the moment my level of enthusiasm in the wake of this signing matches that of when when we signed Bassedas who was really a 'reach buy' at the time ie. fringe Argentine interantional and relatively cheap, although the circumstances differ between Bassedas' transfer fee and us taking advantage of a contractual loophole in this current instance.

I'd be more enthused if we had signed the productive Rodriguez from Athletico Madrid, while showing similar guile in the negotiation process. Although under a similar process having to buy out Rodriguez's remaining contract would have cost substantially more.

My summary of this signing: obviously it's good a piece of business for the club and a bloke/Ashley who is a 'daily spreadsheet man' and who runs a tight ship accordingly, as just as Mort declared the twin signings of Viduka & Ashley approximately one year ago with regards to our first month of activity in the previous Summer's transfer market it's been good business for the club.

But 5 goals in 90 appearances for Mallorca doesn't bode well for what has been a problem area for us in the wake of Solano's best years. If somebody is going to get the best out him it's going to be Keegan and he might take to the end-to-end pattern and tempo/pace of the EPL , but at the moment it stands in the realm of being a cheap 'reach buy' just as the Bassedas signing was.

Are you going to acknowledge the £8m bid they turned down from one of our competitors wasn't 'all paper talk' then? Seem to have conveniently missed my post.

It´s a quote from a dodgy chairman (http://www.mallorcacharteredsurveyors.com/en-news.asp?id=28) desperate to recoup some money to make up for his failings whilst in the process of selling up the club. It sounds rather like whinging to me, and I don´t know what to make of it.. Anyway, as I´ve said before, it´s not about this particular signing that I am increasingly concerned, it´s about our comparative low spending and our cost cutting culture compared to our competitors.

Agree completely.

The low spending thing might well stand up I suppose, but where is the 'cost cutting culture' info coming from? Just the rags from what I can see, and they've demonstrated in the last week exactly how much they know about us. It's just rumour at this stage. Well there was a rumour posted last night that the salary cap thing is bollocks, why not believe that instead?

It'll all come out in the wash. Let's judge at the close of the transfer window and then how we do next season.

If it was all purely about how much we spend, we'd have done a hell of a lot better under the last lot* than we did.

*Not a criticism before anyone starts...

Despite Emre and Carr's wage packages of the books, and our negotiators still won't match our most important striker's - ie. Owen - current deal. Just like the former board re-signing Dyer for the benefit of Souness and the said player was supposed to be Clueless' answer to Bellamy & he did declare that Dyer would score more goals than Bellamy in the wake of the so-called Welsh prick's departure, re-signing Owen for Keegan represents a vitally important piece of business for the manager's on-field building plans. So far there's been in a stark difference with respect to both sets of negotiating materializing/failing to materialize.

These murmurings, in relation to cost cutting/razor cutting, hold some degree of merit imo.

Guest MaetihS

Unbelievable has nightmares about the time he didn't get the Spiderman suit he wanted for Christmas at the mere age of 7 years old, hence his disgust at Gutierrez.

:thdn: I think Unbelievable has made some valid and good points. Why personal attack? This kind of comments are not welcomed; go sleep!

Unbelievable has nightmares about the time he didn't get the Spiderman suit he wanted for Christmas at the mere age of 7 years old, hence his disgust at Gutierrez.

:thdn: I think Unbelievable has made some valid and good points. Why personal attack? This kind of comments are not welcomed; go sleep!

Mike Ashley, in addition to his football front office, are simply untouchable in many peoples' eyes.

Guest MaetihS

All these aside, some of you have made valid points. we are going ga ga over a player who is more gamble than anything. Based on his record, it really astonishes me that there are people who say he is the next Ginola. Robert and Ginola have bigger impacts before they move here. As for Spiderman, his only impact is putting on the mask when he scores which are rarer than rare. really, some of us should really pause and think....admittedly, none of us seen him play regularly or familiar with La Liga. I have asked two of my Spain contacts about him and all of them say he is at best decent, fit for a mid-table club and whats more, not even a sure starter for Mallorca. I dunno, but am sure a bit disappointed and sceptical. Unbelievable has made some very valid points but unpopular. Unpopular as it may sounds, fact is we have signed a player that does not really look improving the squad much. Yes Luque has a bigger pedigree and flopped, i dare not think how a poorer player will fare....

Guest MaetihS

Before i start i still would've preferred SWP.

Overstating the player's credentials. Bassedas likewise was a fringe player - ie. something like 20 appearances over a 5 year frame, give or take a year, while he was in their selction frame - at international level for Argentina before we signed him and i wasn't jumping for joy when we signed him for what was still at the time a modest fee.

I have a great deal of respect for the current crop of Argentianian internationals - both at senior & youth levels - and hopefully he fits into the same category as D'Alessandro as being one of those whose talent might begin to find their feet during their mid-20's after not exactly setting the world on fire in the wake of them moving from Argentina to the Continent, and lets admit that 5 goals in ninety-something appearances isn't productive in a league which has great depth when it comes to goal scoring & creative wingers. I hope he pans out for us, but at the moment my level of enthusiasm in the wake of this signing matches that of when when we signed Bassedas who was really a 'reach buy' at the time ie. fringe Argentine interantional and relatively cheap, although the circumstances differ between Bassedas' transfer fee and us taking advantage of a contractual loophole in this current instance.

I'd be more enthused if we had signed the productive Rodriguez from Athletico Madrid, while showing similar guile in the negotiation process. Although under a similar process having to buy out Rodriguez's remaining contract would have cost substantially more.

My summary of this signing: obviously it's good a piece of business for the club and a bloke/Ashley who is a 'daily spreadsheet man' and who runs a tight ship accordingly, as just as Mort declared the twin signings of Viduka & Ashley approximately one year ago with regards to our first month of activity in the previous Summer's transfer market it's been good business for the club.

But 5 goals in 90 appearances for Mallorca doesn't bode well for what has been a problem area for us in the wake of Solano's best years. If somebody is going to get the best out him it's going to be Keegan and he might take to the end-to-end pattern and tempo/pace of the EPL , but at the moment it stands in the realm of being a cheap 'reach buy' just as the Bassedas signing was.

Cant be more truer than true :thup:

All these aside, some of you have made valid points. we are going ga ga over a player who is more gamble than anything. Based on his record, it really astonishes me that there are people who say he is the next Ginola. Robert and Ginola have bigger impacts before they move here. As for Spiderman, his only impact is putting on the mask when he scores which are rarer than rare. really, some of us should really pause and think....admittedly, none of us seen him play regularly or familiar with La Liga. I have asked two of my Spain contacts about him and all of them say he is at best decent, fit for a mid-table club and whats more, not even a sure starter for Mallorca. I dunno, but am sure a bit disappointed and sceptical. Unbelievable has made some very valid points but unpopular. Unpopular as it may sounds, fact is we have signed a player that does not really look improving the squad much. Yes Luque has a bigger pedigree and flopped, i dare not think how a poorer player will fare....

:bootyshake:

People are so negative because as keegan said, we need atleast 4 players to go straight in to the starting 11.  We have gotten one now, and we seriously need creativity on our central midfield. We have now lost emre, barton is in jail, so we are left with Smith, Geremi, and butt as our only natural players in central mid. We got zoggy and Milner who can play in the middle, but is better of playing out wide.

If one of our 4 backs get injured, we only have Cacapa and David Edgar to come in for them.  We are currently playing with 3 strikers, and we only have 3 decent strikers, which one of them is injured half of the season. Is given/harper good enough to be our goalies? We have krul who is up and comming, but i would personal love if we went for that russian goalie.

We have a thin squad, and we have gotten rid of more players than we have bought.

Well enough about that..  Jonas Gutierrez is a player many of us dont know about, that is why we are concerned. He doesnt have a good goalscoring record, or assist record. Personally i think we should have gotten a central midfield player, but maybe keegan is thinking of using him as a wingstriker up front, or going back to 4-4-2. 

[but 5 goals in 90 appearances for Mallorca doesn't bode well for what has been a problem area for us in the wake of Solano's best years. If somebody is going to get the best out him it's going to be Keegan and he might take to the end-to-end pattern and tempo/pace of the EPL , but at the moment it stands in the realm of being a cheap 'reach buy' just as the Bassedas signing was.[/b]

SWP has scored 4 in 81 for Chelsea in the Premiership btw...

People are so negative because as keegan said, we need atleast 4 players to go straight in to the starting 11.  We have gotten one now, and we seriously need creativity on our central midfield. We have now lost emre, barton is in jail, so we are left with Smith, Geremi, and butt as our only natural players in central mid. We got zoggy and Milner who can play in the middle, but is better of playing out wide.

If one of our 4 backs get injured, we only have Cacapa and David Edgar to come in for them.  We are currently playing with 3 strikers, and we only have 3 decent strikers, which one of them is injured half of the season. Is given/harper good enough to be our goalies? We have krul who is up and comming, but i would personal love if we went for that russian goalie.

We have a thin squad, and we have gotten rid of more players than we have bought.

Well enough about that..  Jonas Gutierrez is a player many of us dont know about, that is why we are concerned. He doesnt have a good goalscoring record, or assist record. Personally i think we should have gotten a central midfield player, but maybe keegan is thinking of using him as a wingstriker up front, or going back to 4-4-2. 

Is anyone suggesting that the current squad is sufficient for the season ahead?  We still have plenty of time to get players in......how many clubs have signed loads of players so far? We won't know till the transfer window shuts whether the effort that will be going on behind the scenes is good enough. Personally I am not going to get upset about who we haven't signed a week into the transfer window..... 

Only a YouTube opinion, but he seems to play with a bit of spirit and determination. I can't see him being a Luque-style disaster. He looks the sort that gets involved and tries to make things happen.

Guest MaetihS

These are worrying times. Slashing bills and keeping funds tight as well as the recent reports saying MA is selling out....seems to have no end to negativity. Have a strong feeling KK needs to wheel and deal to get players and thus Gutierrez, a player whose track record makes Milner looks like Messi.

These are worrying times. Slashing bills and keeping funds tight as well as the recent reports saying MA is selling out....seems to have no end to negativity. Have a strong feeling KK needs to wheel and deal to get players and thus Gutierrez, a player whose track record makes Milner looks like Messi.

That would be the same James Milner who has scored 7 in 119 for Newcastle & Aston Villa these past 4 seasons.

That would be the same James Milner who has scored 7 in 119 for Newcastle & Aston Villa these past 4 seasons.

don't stop him ON, he's away getting carried off on a wave of negative vibes and bullshit

everyone knows a player can only be decent if he's cost a lot of money

everyone also knows KK has never taken a winger none of us really know much about and made him into a better player

Guest MaetihS

track record includes playtime (he is in and out of the team), assists, importance to club, whether an integral part of the team. Gutierrez is obviously not.

Try harder next time. ;)

track record includes playtime (he is in and out of the team), assists, importance to club, whether an integral part of the team. Gutierrez is obviously not.

yeah, mallorca obviously couldn't care less could they?  you can tell that by their silence since the deal was completed