Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

About the dribbling technique thing, I think it looks fine but as he's quite tall and lanky perhaps this affects the way it comes across?

Anyway, very impressed with Jonas so far - sounds like a sound lad and works hard but has that bit of guile about him as well. Look forward to seeing him contribute this season.

It was criminal that we weren't using Jonas more against Valencia, until the last phase of the game. I'm honestly not sure what we did with our formation when Smith came on for Martins, but we seemed to switch from the conventional 4-4-2, cos Jonas started pummelling about everywhere; there seemed to be lots more space infront of Zoggy too.

Anyhow, my point is, from what i saw there - the 4-3-3 is still blatantly the way to go (we looked really dangerous and scored two, ffs), and that Jonas could play a bit more centrally/free. Early days, though, obviously - but i'm well excited about him.

It was criminal that we weren't using Jonas more against Valencia, until the last phase of the game. I'm honestly not sure what we did with our formation when Smith came on for Martins, but we seemed to switch from the conventional 4-4-2, cos Jonas started pummelling about everywhere; there seemed to be lots more space infront of Zoggy too.

Anyhow, my point is, from what i saw there - the 4-3-3 is still blatantly the way to go (we looked really dangerous and scored two, ffs), and that Jonas could play a bit more centrally/free. Early days, though, obviously - but i'm well excited about him.

Second half he was often right in front of us in space, with his arms up wanting the ball but not making a sound. He could do with shouting for it a bit.

Second half he was often right in front of us in space, with his arms up wanting the ball but not making a sound. He could do with shouting for it a bit.

What sort of formation do you think we were playing by the end, Dave? You were a lot higher than me so maybe you could interpret it a bit better. Certainly seemed a bit narrower (position-wise) through the midfield and attack, and like i say, Jonas started roaming around everywhere - his cross for the winner came from the right corner flag...

We were pretty low down too. ;)

Yeah Jonas moved about all over the place in the second half - I like that string to his bow. Comfortable going inside and out; keeping defenders guessing.

We were kinda 4-4-1-1 IIRC (Smith as the deeper one, hiding in the centre-circle as usual), wasn't paying that much attention to the formation tbh.

Yeah Jonas moved about all over the place in the second half - I like that string to his bow. Comfortable going inside and out; keeping defenders guessing.

We were kinda 4-4-1-1 IIRC (Smith as the deeper one, hiding in the centre-circle as usual), wasn't paying that much attention to the formation tbh.

Yeah that's one of the things i really liked about him. If we were going to go into the season with 4-4-2 as the formation (assuming we get a better CM, otherwise the system will just blow hot and cold for all and eternity)... then having wingers that can mix and match and alternate throughout the game could be very, very helpful for us.

Allardyce tried it once or twice, but he was doing stuff like sticking Zoggy on the right and Milner on the left and it was just ineffectual, for obvious reasons. Jonas and Duff swapping and changing however (notice how i've pitifully jumped on the 'Duff has improved' brigade, for now... :rolleyes: ) could work a hell of a lot better.

Like i, and others, have said though - we need a very good CM if we're gonna make 4-4-2 work this season.

Yeah that's one of the things i really liked about him. If we were going to go into the season with 4-4-2 as the formation (assuming we get a better CM, otherwise the system will just blow hot and cold for all and eternity)... then having wingers that can mix and match and alternate throughout the game could be very, very helpful for us.

Allardyce tried it once or twice, but he was doing stuff like sticking Zoggy on the right and Milner on the left and it was just ineffectual, for obvious reasons. Jonas and Duff swapping and changing however (notice how i've pitifully jumped on the 'Duff has improved' brigade, for now... :rolleyes: ) could work a hell of a lot better.

Like i, and others, have said though - we need a very good CM if we're gonna make 4-4-2 work this season.

you alo have to remember we have yet to play a friendly with 2 of our recognised forward playing and the movemnet/options they give to the midfield. we've played not even 2 full games with martins..no owen or viduka. the midfield will look better for having more options,the options that have been lacking so far.

Do we have the all important registration yet?

Would also like to know.  Still not seen it confirmed,  although he's played our last 2 home games which makes me wonder?

yes he has

From 'who might these keys belong to' Louise,

...Then there is Jonás Gutiérrez, an Argentinian winger who upset his former employers, Real Mallorca, by buying out his contract to join Newcastle. The La Liga club are appealing to Fifa for extra compensation and, while Gutiérrez is free to play in friendlies, Newcastle have yet to receive the registration papers from Mallorca that will enable him to play in the Premier League...

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=53940.1175

I thought he missed the first couple of games because of the registration thing, then got special dispensation to play in Mallorca. But if we still haven't sorted it, how could he play against PSV and Valencia?

I thought he missed the first couple of games because of the registration thing, then got special dispensation to play in Mallorca. But if we still haven't sorted it, how could he play against PSV and Valencia?

You dont need a registration with the premier league to play in a friendly?

You dont need a registration with the premier league to play in a friendly?

That would seem to be the case...

"...and, while Gutiérrez is free to play in friendlies, Newcastle have yet to receive the registration papers from Mallorca that will enable him to play in the Premier League..."

Not that I would entertain giving her words much weight mind.  :undecided:

Then there is Jonás Gutiérrez, an Argentinian winger who upset his former employers, Real Mallorca, by buying out his contract to join Newcastle. The La Liga club are appealing to Fifa for extra compensation and, while Gutiérrez is free to play in friendlies, Newcastle have yet to receive the registration papers from Mallorca that will enable him to play in the Premier League.

Asked if this issue would be resolved in time for Sunday's trip to Manchester United, Keegan merely said: "I don't know, I hope so."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/11/newcastleunited.premierleague1

Guest neesy111

no thats total bollocks, the mackem bitch is lying again

firstly, mallorca didn't even sign him, he was on a 3 year loan so he bought out his velez contract and you still need registration to play in friendly's, as a player belonging to another club can't play

don't worry

I think six weeks should be long enough to get things sorted out one way or the other.

Surely the club asked for it and if they were refused then they will have to go through official procedures to get it with Uefa/Fifa.

What else could they do?