Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

Guest firetotheworks

Shame he's suspended against West Brom, he was so inspired today. Loads of running and is so good at taking players on. Would be a lot more dangerous if we were dangerous from set pieces.

f***, just remembered that :doh:

Ohh yeah,s*** man! :weep:

I'll get my 'were really missing Jonas' 's ready.

He crossing was shit today, but Im willing to overlook that because of everything else he had. Heart, skill, intelligence, persistence, strength, endeavor. He could be better, but so could 100% of our team. Jonas is the least of our worries.

Agree with all of that. His crossing was disappointing but he was head and shoulders above the rest of the midfield.

You can say that i'm looking for excuses for the guy here, but i honestly don't think i am. Anyway.

One thing. Jonas is far better at delivering a ball from deep. I've seen him pick out a lot of very nice, near undefendable, through balls from, say, 5/10 yards away from the corner of the box. He is a shite crosser of the ball but then that's not his game. That doesn't make him a shit winger, it just makes him an unconventional one. This isn't the nineties - you don't have to have the crossing ability or Beckham, or - in our terms - Keith Gillespie. It's still important though, which leads me onto...

Another thing. If we had another fucker in the side who could compensate for his lack of delivery, then we might actually be alright. unfortunately, Duff is just so inept at everything - just totally ineffectual - and it just shifts the pressure onto Jonas and it's unfortunate for the guy really. I really wish we'd taken a punt on Pennant. Jonas is more of a luxury player, in a certain context, and this is why i've said before that he'd be fucking class in a Bobby team. If we had a traditional winger in there to do the proper tracking back, the crossing - then having Jonas in the side aswell would be a wonderful bonus. Unfortunately though, cos Duff is painfully shite, we're relying on him and it's just not his game.

Another thing. Jonas is great at beating players and most of the failed crosses, that i saw, were from near the byline. Even then, if his 'crosses' are pea-rollers, it doesn't have to matter as much as it did today. If we had the intelligence of a striker, who would come deep, come short, receive the ball, pass it around more - then we might be alright. It's still all very route one. Get to byline, cross. It doens't have to be. Lovenkrands looked alright with the ball at his feet so i don't see why it's imperative to cross from the byline. Just work it in! So very one dimensional. Jonas would have countless assists if we made an attempt at this more often.

Speaking of which though, we saw a glimpse of Nolan arriving late - he missed the ball by a foot but he might have had a shooting chance. That was from a Jonas run/cut back.

So anyhow - i know i'm going on about how this is everyone else's fault, and tbh - i'm not gonna deny that. That's exactly what i'm saying. Jonas is a bloody good player, terribly unorthodox however. Sticking him on the left, whilst is an improvement, doesn't constitute to 'playing to his game'.

Guest Stephen927

If we had two short strikers in the box I wouldn't mind Jonas cutting in onto his right foot and trying to play it on the deck.

But when you've got 2 strikers over 6 foot then you really have to cross the ball into the box. A few times he got the ball in a decent crossing position, and chose instead to pass it back to Enrique.

It's nothing he can't work on, maybe sometimes he just tries to do too much.

Fkn love him so much, bet he wishes for a better player behind him at LB though.

Enrique did well at LB today. They linked up well together.

Think he'd rather have a striker that can convert

Or a holding midfielder that can support him

Or a competent winger on the other side so he doesn't have to do all the running.

I imagine LB is fairly low on his Christmas list.

He crossing was s*** today, but Im willing to overlook that because of everything else he had. Heart, skill, intelligence, persistence, strength, endeavor. He could be better, but so could 100% of our team. Jonas is the least of our worries.

Agreed, I don't think any of our players put in the effort that Jonas did, both going forwards and defending.

It's toss up between him and Bassong for player of the match.

You can say that i'm looking for excuses for the guy here, but i honestly don't think i am. Anyway.

One thing. Jonas is far better at delivering a ball from deep. I've seen him pick out a lot of very nice, near undefendable, through balls from, say, 5/10 yards away from the corner of the box. He is a s**** crosser of the ball but then that's not his game. That doesn't make him a s*** winger, it just makes him an unconventional one. This isn't the nineties - you don't have to have the crossing ability or Beckham, or - in our terms - Keith Gillespie. It's still important though, which leads me onto...

Another thing. If we had another fucker in the side who could compensate for his lack of delivery, then we might actually be alright. unfortunately, Duff is just so inept at everything - just totally ineffectual - and it just shifts the pressure onto Jonas and it's unfortunate for the guy really. I really wish we'd taken a punt on Pennant. Jonas is more of a luxury player, in a certain context, and this is why i've said before that he'd be f***ing class in a Bobby team. If we had a traditional winger in there to do the proper tracking back, the crossing - then having Jonas in the side aswell would be a wonderful bonus. Unfortunately though, cos Duff is painfully s****, we're relying on him and it's just not his game.

Another thing. Jonas is great at beating players and most of the failed crosses, that i saw, were from near the byline. Even then, if his 'crosses' are pea-rollers, it doesn't have to matter as much as it did today. If we had the intelligence of a striker, who would come deep, come short, receive the ball, pass it around more - then we might be alright. It's still all very route one. Get to byline, cross. It doens't have to be. Lovenkrands looked alright with the ball at his feet so i don't see why it's imperative to cross from the byline. Just work it in! So very one dimensional. Jonas would have countless assists if we made an attempt at this more often.

Speaking of which though, we saw a glimpse of Nolan arriving late - he missed the ball by a foot but he might have had a shooting chance. That was from a Jonas run/cut back.

So anyhow - i know i'm going on about how this is everyone else's fault, and tbh - i'm not gonna deny that. That's exactly what i'm saying. Jonas is a bloody good player, terribly unorthodox however. Sticking him on the left, whilst is an improvement, doesn't constitute to 'playing to his game'.

Thats where Owen comes in (for the rest of the season). Martins would've helped Jonas a lot more today as well. He would've given Jonas someone to aim at and even play off. Thats when Jonas is very effective, imo. When he cuts inside and links up with people- because thats the way he plays. As Yorkie said, he's not your average 90's winger like Gillespie.

I honestly think Lua Lua should replace Duff next week. Whether his crossing is good I dont know but he'll take a bit of the work load of Jonas' shoulders thats for sure.

One thing. Jonas is far better at delivering a ball from deep. I've seen him pick out a lot of very nice, near undefendable, through balls from, say, 5/10 yards away from the corner of the box. He is a s**** crosser of the ball but then that's not his game. That doesn't make him a s*** winger, it just makes him an unconventional one. This isn't the nineties - you don't have to have the crossing ability or Beckham, or - in our terms - Keith Gillespie. It's still important though, which leads me onto...

Another thing. If we had another fucker in the side who could compensate for his lack of delivery, then we might actually be alright. unfortunately, Duff is just so inept at everything - just totally ineffectual - and it just shifts the pressure onto Jonas and it's unfortunate for the guy really. I really wish we'd taken a punt on Pennant. Jonas is more of a luxury player, in a certain context, and this is why i've said before that he'd be f***ing class in a Bobby team. If we had a traditional winger in there to do the proper tracking back, the crossing - then having Jonas in the side aswell would be a wonderful bonus. Unfortunately though, cos Duff is painfully s****, we're relying on him and it's just not his game.

Thats where Owen comes in (for the rest of the season). Martins would've helped Jonas a lot more today as well. He would've given Jonas someone to aim at and even play off. Thats when Jonas is very effective, imo. When he cuts inside and links up with people- because thats the way he plays. As Yorkie said, he's not your average 90's winger like Gillespie.

I honestly think Lua Lua should replace Duff next week. Whether his crossing is good I dont know but he'll take a bit of the work load of Jonas' shoulders thats for sure.

I hope so too because that would mean Joe Kinnear is no longer manager.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Fkn love him so much, bet he wishes for a better player behind him at LB though.

enreekay awas fkn gd today are you fkn blind fk sake

Guest optimistic nit

Duff was good today tbh.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Duff put in a cross that should bhave been converted by anyone, shame Ameobi was on the end of it I really think his brain works in slow motion

Guest optimistic nit

we were all over them all game tbh. it really does show how poor shola and carroll are that the only goal we scored was from a (well taken) penalty.

More of the same today. Great work ethic, running up and down the wing providing cover for his full back. His problem is the inconsistency of his end product, it's worth noting sometimes that isn’t his fault.

I couldn't praise Jonas any more for the effort he put in today. Ran tirelessly up and down the wing, was brilliant in the challenge and beat the full back time and time again. He and Enrique seemed to have a real understanding down the left flank. The problem is his final ball.

The key aim of being a wide man is to provide service to the forwards and unless you’re a particular type of forward sometimes his final ball is poor. I wouldn't like to think I was a big target man with him on the wing, he rarely plays the high ball, and it really can be infuriating at times. However if your a short nippy striker his intelligent through ball and low near post crosses are an advantage. The lad has been brought up in Argentina and learned his trade in Spain. He's been grown up to provide the latter form of service, however if he wants to provide a real threat in this league he needs to learn to get some height on those crosses.

we were all over them all game tbh. it really does show how poor shola and carroll are that the only goal we scored was from a (well taken) penalty.

Carroll and Shola aren't goalscorers but at least they showed for the ball.