Currently you are feeling...

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I actually voted confident because I am confident that things will work out right.

I am however pissed off that NE5 keeps on trying to link most threads to an issue of old board vs new board  :rant:

CORRECTION....OLD BOARD PRE-SOUNESS v new board

NE5 doesn't actually have to post anymore there's always plenty of other posters to helpfully (yet incorrectly) tell us all what "NE5 would say...".

I actually voted confident because I am confident that things will work out right.

I am however pissed off that NE5 keeps on trying to link most threads to an issue of old board vs new board  :rant:

NE5 doesn't actually have to post anymore there's always plenty of other posters to helpfully (yet incorrectly) tell us all what "NE5 would say...".

Are you referring to my post ? Because if you are, I take issue, as this is one of his fundamental arguments, that we were nothing before Hall took over.

We have a good manager, we have a handful of good players, and I don't believe any of this nonsense in the papers.  But I'm still concerned, and I will be until we have a squad that is capable of being competitive at the level I expect (which is, for me, a 10-12 point improvement on last season).  That isn't blaming the board or being negative....it is a legitimate, realistic assessment of our chances with the players we have.  There are two issues:

1) We have 13 first team players at the moment.  Putting aside for a moment the question of how much quality those 13 players possess, if we experience anything like the injury crises we've endured in recent seasons, we'll be in big, big trouble.  This is not a squad you take into a Premiership season. 

2) I haven't forgotten or forgiven how poor some of our squad were last season.  That applies not just to the obviously terrible (Alan Smith, Damien Duff) but also to the regular underperformers (N'Zogbia, Viduka, Milner, Taylor, Butt, Geremi) who are going to form the basis of the team next season.  There is room for improvement from many of those listed, but it is completely unfair to expect Keegan to reach the top 7 or 8 with a core of players that have made a habit of disappointing.  His own performance will be judged on the performances of these players, and they have done nothing but let us down recently.  I love Keegan, I want him to succeed again, and I'm afraid that some of the people on here that are the most optimistic today will be the first to place the blame at the manager's doorstep if the players I have just listed let us down again. 

I'm not losing sleep at nights just yet, but we aren't where we need with 6 weeks until we go to Old Trafford and that should be a real concern. 

;D

A bit concerned tbh, concerned that we will be exactly the same as last season and have shit clubs like Portsmouth Man City Villa Blackburn ahead of us again.

Guthrie

Guti

will make no difference to our current side

We have a good manager, we have a handful of good players, and I don't believe any of this nonsense in the papers.  But I'm still concerned, and I will be until we have a squad that is capable of being competitive at the level I expect (which is, for me, a 10-12 point improvement on last season).  That isn't blaming the board or being negative....it is a legitimate, realistic assessment of our chances with the players we have.  There are two issues:

1) We have 13 first team players at the moment.  Putting aside for a moment the question of how much quality those 13 players possess, if we experience anything like the injury crises we've endured in recent seasons, we'll be in big, big trouble.  This is not a squad you take into a Premiership season. 

2) I haven't forgotten or forgiven how poor some of our squad were last season.  That applies not just to the obviously terrible (Alan Smith, Damien Duff) but also to the regular underperformers (N'Zogbia, Viduka, Milner, Taylor, Butt, Geremi) who are going to form the basis of the team next season.  There is room for improvement from many of those listed, but it is completely unfair to expect Keegan to reach the top 7 or 8 with a core of players that have made a habit of disappointing.  His own performance will be judged on the performances of these players, and they have done nothing but let us down recently.  I love Keegan, I want him to succeed again, and I'm afraid that some of the people on here that are the most optimistic today will be the first to place the blame at the manager's doorstep if the players I have just listed let us down again. 

I'm not losing sleep at nights just yet, but we aren't where we need with 6 weeks until we go to Old Trafford and that should be a real concern. 

Excellent post, I agree with most of that but it's actually only 4 weeks to Old Trafford.

A bit concerned tbh, concerned that we will be exactly the same as last season and have s*** clubs like Portsmouth Man City Villa Blackburn ahead of us again.

Guthrie

Guti

will make no difference to our current side

I'm reasonably optimistic about both signings tbh.  Both could be a big success.  My concern is that those two are nowhere near enough to get us on the level of Pompey & City (I don't think Villa and Blackburn are that far ahead of us at the moment, but time will tell).   

KK is capable of great things, but you have to give him a chance.  He has a better chance of turning water into wine than he does of plonking Butt & Geremi in midfield, Duff on the wing, Smith up front and then expecting top 7 results.  Give the man a chance.

Guest Flair

KK should be in for swp, after he managed him at Man. City. Should we get SWP, I will be sooo much more happier.

KK should be in for swp, after he managed him at Man. City. Should we get SWP, I will be sooo much more happier.

I wouldn't to be honest RW is far from our priority position.

Guest stjamestoon

Excellent post, I agree with most of that but it's actually only 4 weeks to Old Trafford.

13..I have just counted more first teamers than that..or would that be 13 you think are worthy of a first team spot?

13..I have just counted more first teamers than that..or would that be 13 you think are worthy of a first team spot?

I think he's referring to the number that showed up for the start of pre-aseason, our first team squad probably stands at around 18 players, which is extremely worrying.

Guest Mucky01

I wouldn't to be honest RW is far from our priority position.

he’ll be on a fortune at Chelski, can’t see us matching that if Milner & Co are knarked with Taylors wedge.

Maybe 15 or 16 in total if everyone was fit/not in prison (not counting Edgar, Lua Lua, Tozer etc).  Of which you'd only really be comfortable with 13 or so.  Given that you need 18 just to fill the bench this season, I think my point still stands.

Cautious would probably best describe it. On the one hand we are looking at decent players, and the decision to go for younger players is right IMO. It's a bit of a concern we aren't closing any deals though, the squad is not good enough.

Guest The Libertine

same as usual around this time. a bit frustrated at the lack of signings we so desperately need and of course very disappointed about our current defensive options.

Fully behind the club and set up. Just trying to avoid thinking about things until the season starts. its clear both us as supporters and the press know fuck all regarding our transfer targets, frustrating but its how business should be done. so im keeping my head down from apparent transfer links that will invariable dissapoint as they are more than not fabricated.

I will remain content until either a) the beginning of August comes and we havent pulled in a couple of significant signings in which case I will become concerned and anxious or b) we sign a few more players soon at which point (depending on the quality of the player) I will become Confident.

I cant see myself talkin shit about the board and transfer policies etc until at the very least after the transfer window has shut and we can guage how good our players actually are because lets face it none of us really know how good most of our players can be at the moment.

I'm bricking it tbh.

I have faith in our recruitment team identifying good players but i'm start to worry about them actually closing deals with top players. Whether its Ashley refusing to offer big money I don't know but we seriously need some top players and i've a nagging doubt in my head its going to be another Roeder-esque window where we just end up signing average tat.

Hope to God this isn't correct though, just feeling a bit pessimistic about the whole thing at the minute.

Guest BooBoo

Concerned.

I'm yet to be convinced by Ashley and, while its not a popular opinion, I'm not overly thrilled that we've got KK as manager.

Start the season at the moment and i think we'll be that team come March that two bob pundits are saying "it wouldnt surprise me if they got pulled into a relegation battle." I just hope i'm wrong and we bring in some much needed quality and depth.