Fabricio Coloccini signed from Deportivo La Coruña on 5 year deal

Cronky

I don't think its true, to be clear its the idea that we'd do such a thing that's ludicrous.

by 'do such a thing' do you mean play him in midfield?

By do such a thing I mean buy a class defender (which we need to begin with) to play in midfield yes.

Only breach here is in James' brain

In fact the only breach is in your ability to read.

As I say quite clearly:

And I doubt we would have taken that risk.

Which is a response to suggestions from others that Gutierrez's transfer could be seen as illegal by FIFA.

To be honest, I reckon the club might quite fancy being banned from signing players for two years. Would certainly take the heat off from us lot ;)

Only breach here is in James' brain

In fact the only breach is in your ability to read.

As I say quite clearly:

And I doubt we would have taken that risk.

Which is a response to suggestions from others that Gutierrez's transfer could be seen as illegal by FIFA.

It was just a general observation.

Seems ludicrous to me to buy a player many consider to be a world class central defender and shoe horn him into defensive midfield...  Buy a f***ing defensive midfielder if you want a defensive midfielder!

Apparently he played a whole season as a defensive midfielder for Depor previously, and still plays there occassionally.

Can't wait to see how things pan out. All very confusing at the moment.

Seems ludicrous to me to buy a player many consider to be a world class central defender and shoe horn him into defensive midfield...  Buy a f***ing defensive midfielder if you want a defensive midfielder!

Apparently he played a whole season as a defensive midfielder for Depor previously, and still plays there occassionally.

When?? Where did you hear that?

He's certainly played a number of games there, but not for a full season.

Played at DM in 2006-2007 apparently.

Played at DM in 2006-2007 apparently.

Yep, he did, but not for the entire season. He spent half the time playing at the back. Actually, I think he missed a lot of that season when he fell out with the manager :D Didn't we try to sign him back then too?

Was reading nufcblog again  :rolleyes:

my wife was in corporate as it was the launch of the Kicks initiative at SJP (basically local businesss and the Premier league encouraging youngsters to be active and eat well etc.). Sir Booby was there / Sir John Hall etc. MA was in the new top with Coloccinis name on the back. Ashley gave a short speech and the Coloccini deal was mentioned. He signs Tuesday official.

nufcblog ITK tbh

Guest mikefin

I can't see the point - any of it. Defence is always been our weakest part, and now when we finally got world class central defender,  we prefer to play him in a midfield  :idiot2::kasper:

He might be good DM, but i dont give a f*ck. He is CD, and he should be play as CD

Taylor is s*it, Faye is almost as s*it as Taylor, Capapa is horrible. They let 63 PL (or something like that) goals last season and they have been constantly nothing but s*it without any signs of better tomorrow.

And someone thinks that Coloccini play as a DM for us. Jesus Christ  :doh:

I can't see the point - any of it. Defence is always been our weakest part, and now when we finally got world class central defender,  we prefer to play him in a midfield   :idiot2::kasper:

He might be good DM, but i dont give a f*ck. He is CD, and he should be play as CD

Taylor is s*it, Faye is almost as s*it as Taylor, Capapa is horrible. They let 63 PL (or something like that) goals last season and they have been constantly nothing but s*it without any signs of better tomorrow.

Faye is not shit.  Have you ever seen him play?

Depressing reading!

Everton eyeing swoop for NUFC target Tiago

Aug 14 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

EVERTON are ready to hijack Newcastle United’s move for Portuguese international midfielder Tiago.

We reported on our Chronicle Live website yesterday afternoon that United had agreed a loan deal with Juventus, with an £8m deal becoming permanent in 12 months time.

But United’s executive director Tony Jimenez has been unable to agree on just what contribution Newcastle would made towards the players wages and the deal stalled.

This alerted Everton and, as David Moyes already has another Portuguese player with him at Goodison Park in the shape of Nuno Valente, a switch from Italy, where he has flopped, to Merseyside suddenly looks more attractive to Tiago.

Everton have yet to move into the transfer market as buyers in the close season, and even if they do pull off the signing of Tiago it will not lessen their interest in United striker Alan Smith.

Smith is not the only United striker in demand as Ipswich Town are finally hoping to tie up a £2.5m deal for Shola Ameobi.

The Chronicle revealed on June 9 that Ipswich wanted Ameobi and it has taken over two months for the move to materialise.

Certainly United do not believe in doing things in a hurry these days.

There was still be no announcement from the club regarding the £10m signing of Fabricio Coloccini from Deportivo La Coruna, even though the Argentinian central defender has been on Tyneside for nearly a week and has been training with the club.

However, United tell me that there could be news on Coloccini in the next 24 hours, but this has not stopped talk coming out of East London saying Kevin Keegan is a big admirer of West Ham centre- half Danny Gabbidon.

United have until noon tomorrow to register Coloccini if he is to play against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday.

And the same applies to Jonas Gutierrez, whose paperwork still had not arrived at St James’ Park from Spain by first post today, and unless it comes he will miss out on the opener at Old Trafford.

There isn’t much good news round for Keegan as far as Sunday is concerned.

After watching Michael Owen and Abdoulaye Faye jogging around at yesterday’s open day, while the rest of their colleagues were put through a full session at St James’s, it is hard to see how either can be involved at Old Trafford.

And it remains to be seen whether Keegan will still go ahead with the behind-closed-doors friendly he had planned to give Owen a work-out.

In addition Oba Martins has been back in Nigeria after having knee trouble .

I can't see the point - any of it. Defence is always been our weakest part, and now when we finally got world class central defender,  we prefer to play him in a midfield   :idiot2::kasper:

I agree he should be played at CB but the rest is bollocks.

First of all, we conceded goals last season because the team was shit, not the defence. The midfielders were not protecting the back four and were creating little chances for the strikers who wasted them anyway. We need to keep the ball, create chances, and put the oppo under pressure and then we will concede less goals.

Secondly, Taylor is inexperianced but is still one of the countries best young centre halves. Faye was one of our better players last season and did very little wrong. Cacapa has alot to prove though.

However, with all that said, the defence still needed strengthened at the start of the summer and Coloccini will go some way in doing that. He must play in defence.

Guest mikefin

I can't see the point - any of it. Defence is always been our weakest part, and now when we finally got world class central defender,  we prefer to play him in a midfield  :idiot2::kasper:

Faye is not s***.  Have you ever seen him play?

Too many times actually.. He could be ok number 2 with Coloccini or someone as capable as Coloccini, but pairing with someone like Taylor.. Awful.

Depressing reading!

Everton eyeing swoop for NUFC target Tiago

Aug 14 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

And the same applies to Jonas Gutierrez, whose paperwork still had not arrived at St James’ Park from Spain by first post today, and unless it comes he will miss out on the opener at Old Trafford.

how the hell do they know is hasn't arrived by the first post?! Oliver going through peoples post now?