So, who's signing in the final week?

Coxaux
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NE5, you said Smith would do the job up front for us given the chance.

Do you still think that is the case or were you wrong? I just don't see why we need to buy another quality striker unless you were wrong.

Well, if you're going to start chasing people for replies, how about the hundreds of posters who all used to urge the old board to "splash the cash" and now slate them for spending "money they didn't have" and also are now saying its alright "not to splash the cash".

Nobody disputes that Smith has been a huge disappointment by the way. Shame, because he was pretty good at Leeds, the criteria you normally use when assessing footballers, wouldn't you agree ? On the other hand, I've asked you this before Dave, living in Leeds, but you don't seem to know, so did you live in Leeds at that time or not ?

I'll also add that Leeds supporters, at the time, were quite happy with him, and said that he was one of the best players. And, that is first hand information I have from Leeds supporters

Hard one to fathom Smith. I too thought he was class when he was at leeds and i was urging the club to sign him but Man Utd snapped him up. So when we signed him this time, i thought he would be a good signing for the club but only if we can recapture his leeds form.

There have been many arguements as to why he's been poor. One is that his injuries have taken a toll, another is that SAF constant change in postion (DM) has changed his mentality. Personally, i believe it to be a bit of both. Anyone who watched Smith for Leeds would see that he had pace in his game, that's almost forgotten IMO. Since coming from Manchester, he clearly has lost that, whilst retaining his energy and enthusiasm. However, because he has lost this pace, he doesn't find himself in the same goalscoring positions (which is vital) and therefore scores no goals.

Now, it's not a case of Shearer, where we can change his game to benefit the team because quite frankly i don't think he's good enough to hold up the ball or play others into the game.

Someone on Toontastic reckons there will be an announcement at 6pm

I don't believe it personally but you never know.............

It was posted on the chronicle forum

i think its bullshit

http://forums.chroniclelive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=11874

This sort of crap about now gets me all hyped up, my brain tells me this is just a load of cobblers but my heart, the bastard that it is wants to believe it so much that, I be watching the clock religously till 6pm your time. That's why WUM should be tracked down by their IP address and put in stocks abnd stoned to within an inch of their life.

How much do you think we should be spending this Summer Dave?

If Keegan's happy (within reason, of course) I can't say I'm bothered about how much we spend.

Do you think he sounds happy?

At the end of the day, there is no reason we can't have a good season with the players we've got. Anyone else we get is a bonus.

I don't think any players we can realistically sign can offer much improvement to our potential for this season.

Best case scenario, if most of the team stay fit I can see us being upper mid table, but missing out on Europe. If we have injury problems (6/7 injuries for significant parts of the season) I think we'll struggle to do any better than last year. IMO we'll drop a lot of points in games like last weekend where a team sets out to defend against us, as we've a lack of options to break them down, and we'll leak a few goals on the break as we push for a winner. This is based on the current squad.

If there's noone we can realistically sign who can offer much improvement to our potential for this season, then i think that's a pretty sad state of affairs, and I can't see how that situation is going to improve in the future.

Agree with that more or less completely.

I'll be furious if there's not at least 1 signing that we expect to come in and significantly improve the first team. Either a central midfielder who'll give us better distribution from the middle or else a striker who can offer us a bit of quality dropping deep and linking the play.

On top of that we need a squad replacement for Milner if he leaves and then I'll be happy.

Do you still think that is the case or were you wrong? I just don't see why we need to buy another quality striker unless you were wrong.

Well, if you're going to start chasing people for replies, how about the hundreds of posters who all used to urge the old board to "splash the cash" and now slate them for spending "money they didn't have" and also are now saying its alright "not to splash the cash".

Nobody disputes that Smith has been a huge disappointment by the way. Shame, because he was pretty good at Leeds, the criteria you normally use when assessing footballers, wouldn't you agree ? On the other hand, I've asked you this before Dave, living in Leeds, but you don't seem to know, so did you live in Leeds at that time or not ?

I'll also add that Leeds supporters, at the time, were quite happy with him, and said that he was one of the best players. And, that is first hand information I have from Leeds supporters

Can't you ever just answer a simple question in a simple manner without going off-track? I'm asking about Alan Smith, here. Not the old board, not Leeds, not me, not me living in Leeds. Alan Smith, for Newcastle United since he signed.

Unbelievable. And you'll do exactly the same in response to this.

You don't get it do you Dave ?

I have answered, I thought - like Alex Ferguson - that he was a good player at Leeds and hoped he would succeed here at my club .

Whats so difficult about that ? It isn't as if I asked you something REALLY straightforward, like did you think he was a good player at Leeds when you lived in leeds ?

How much do you think we should be spending this Summer Dave?

If Keegan's happy (within reason, of course) I can't say I'm bothered about how much we spend.

Do you think he sounds happy?

His latest comments on transfers ('we'll soldier on' and that) worry me greatly.

Can't you ever just answer a simple question in a simple manner without going off-track? I'm asking about Alan Smith, here. Not the old board, not Leeds, not me, not me living in Leeds. Alan Smith, for Newcastle United since he signed.

Unbelieveable. And you'll do exactly the same in response to this.

You starting to feel like Jeremy Paxman Dave?  :lol:

I see you are worried too about the lack of signings ? Is the penny dropping yet, or are you optimistic that we will make a couple of these despised panic signings ?

I have answered, I thought - like Alex Ferguson - that he was a good player at Leeds and hoped he would succeed here at my club .

Whats so difficult about that ? It isn't as if I asked you something REALLY straightforward, like did you think he was a good player at Leeds when you lived in leeds ?

So you were wrong?

So you were wrong?

he's never wrong

I've never been bothered about how much we spend, I just want a squad with depth that we can delve into when the time calls.

I just think we're going to be up shit creek at some points between now and xmas if we don't get another 2 players in. And if it was definitely only 2 players in, I'd want an (attacking) CM and a striker...

i think its bullshit

This sort of crap about now gets me all hyped up, my brain tells me this is just a load of cobblers but my heart, the b****** that it is wants to believe it so much that, I be watching the clock religiously till 6pm your time. That's why WUM should be tracked down by their IP address and put in stocks and stoned to within an inch of their life.

Don't suppose anyone is bothered becasue you are have your same old "old board/new board" ," I was right you were wrong" debate going on but having read through the thread on the Ronny Gill's forum, I'm conviced it's just another WUM. f***ing hate them, how sad are their bloody lives.

I think we will complete at least two by Monday, but more likely three, and they won't be panic signings either.

So what do you make of "My optimism gets less the nearer that you get to the deadline.", "I’m still hoping that we’ll get a couple in, but if we don’t we’ll just have to soldier on."?

Keegan double bluff (for what reason)?

Keegan being kept in the dark (if they're not panic signings)?

What are you basing your confidence that everything is perfectly under control on?

The lack of signings and the whole Milner thing will be stressing Kev out, after all its his job on the line at the end of the day.

I would not be surprised to find out we are one of the three clubs after Hendrick Larson though, its the kind of player who will not expect to play every game but will be decent enough back up for us.

I don't even hope Smith comes good - I've got 2 £20 bets that he won't score a single goal this season, whoever he plays for. £40 in the bank.

He surely cant go another year without scoring?! It just cant be possible! He will have to get on the scoresheet. He will just have too. He has no other choice! argghghg!

Guest Coubury

Its gonna be s*** this year with the deadline not closing at midnight Sunday, this place is usually great craic on the last night of the window.

sure its going to finish at midnight on Monday 1st just have the same amount of craic on here on monday lol

i think its bullshit

This sort of crap about now gets me all hyped up, my brain tells me this is just a load of cobblers but my heart, the b****** that it is wants to believe it so much that, I be watching the clock religously till 6pm your time. That's why WUM should be tracked down by their IP address and put in stocks abnd stoned to within an inch of their life.

It`s 6pm  :frantic: