James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest fraser

Pace is crucial to a wide midfielder in the Premiership and it is Milner's lack of that 'yard' that prevents him, and will always prevent him, from being top-class. The lack of pace, and therefore room, inhibits his final delivery. Last night he played against a left-back at right- back who, according to Coventry sources isn't even a very good left-back. He should gave scored four but lacked the composure to do so and got an o.g. against their second-choice keeper.

I'd prefer him not to go but £9m? Yes, please! £10m+ and we'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

His loyalty must be questioned now too. Nothing to say we shouldn't hang on to him till January if WE need to though.

Guest musika

I'm gutted (partially because I've just ordered my Milner shirt for the season  :rant:)

Wounded!!!!

Did you buy it within the last 14 days?  If so it's not fit for purpose therefore you are entitled to a  refund legally.

Really? Cheers, will look into that.

Can't understand why anyone is happy that a young, first team regular, in a paper thin squad, puts in a transfer request near the end of the transfer window. This suggest that he's not happy with where he sees the club going & knows other clubs want him more & are better equiped for success.

He will never have pace but he is a consistent performer.

We'd better have some pretty big rabbits waiting in a top hat somewhere.

I bloody well hope that this meeting today gets things moving. Our decent start to the season is in danger of glossing over a severe lack in investment. 

Agreed.

It's irrelevant what a bunch of people on the internet think about Milner, the fact is the manager rates him as a regular first team player and wants to keep him. The club have known he wants a new contract for ages, and yet have done nothing to resolve the situation - either agree the new contract or sell him in time to bring in a replacement if he really does want too much cash (I doubt that tbh). It's the same with Owen, where the longer it goes on unresolved the worse it is for the club. Whoever is in charge of player contracts whether it be Ashley, Llambias, Vetere or Wise is doing a pretty shit job IMO.

I'm gutted (partially because I've just ordered my Milner shirt for the season  :rant:)

Wounded!!!!

Did you buy it within the last 14 days?  If so it's not fit for purpose therefore you are entitled to a  refund legally.

No its not, its a personal modification to the standard design therefore falls outside the fit for purpose tag unless the numbers fall off

Milner transfer request rocks Toon

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/08/27/milner-transfer-request-rocks-toon-72703-21616904/

Anal's take on the situation....

Love the section:

---------

"The news has taken the gloss off United’s victory and will have left Kevin Keegan shattered.

Keegan was actually upbeat when he gave TV interviews immediately after the final whistle last night. However, he was then summoned into the ball boys’ room at the Ricoh Stadium by United’s managing director Derek Llambias.

Keegan was clearly subdued when he emerged from this meeting and he made a point of making several references to his 22-year-old winger when he spoke to the written Press."

Can't understand why anyone is happy that a young, first team regular, in a paper thin squad, puts in a transfer request near the end of the transfer window. This suggest that he's not happy with where he sees the club going & knows other clubs want him more & are better equiped for success.

I bloody well hope that this meeting today gets things moving. Our decent start to the season is in danger of glossing over a severe lack in investment. 

Agreed.

It's irrelevant what a bunch of people on the internet think about Milner, the fact is the manager rates him as a regular first team player and wants to keep him. The club have known he wants a new contract for ages, and yet have done nothing to resolve the situation - either agree the new contract or sell him in time to bring in a replacement if he really does want too much cash (I doubt that tbh). It's the same with Owen, where the longer it goes on unresolved the worse it is for the club. Whoever is in charge of player contracts whether it be Ashley, Llambias, Vetere or Wise is doing a pretty shit job IMO.

We should be giving players new deals every year?

Wounded!!!!

No its not, its a personal modification to the standard design therefore falls outside the fit for purpose tag unless the numbers fall off

True but if he did it in the shop he bought the shirt bearing in mind they advertise the players names and numbers as a product.

This thread deserves instant cult status. :lol:

Everyone, with no idea of what has happened or when it happened, arriving at their own conclusions, turning those conclusions into facts and pronouncing judgements on said facts conjecture.

:crazy2:

Anyway, to continue in the same vein. Keegan clearly has been bigging him up to raise the fee. Buying club are being a tad stingy so club release info to get a bid war goiong. in the meantime new player is due to arrive 10am tomorrow (thursday) for medical which no-one has heard of but is better than Milner. Friday sees Arshavin arrive, and Sunday it's Berbatov. Fact!

not sure if this has been said previously in this tread but earlier in the week someone posted on here that milner would be going to villa and SWP was coming here to replace him.  personally i rate SWP as a better player than milner so assuming all that business goes down i would be happy!

Guest Mcdonald36

Why the feck would a player want to leave us to go to Villa. They might be talking big these days but we're still a far biggger pull, and I reckon we'll pip them in the league this season.

Can't be money, shirley?

Agreed.

We should be giving players new deals every year?

He's ignoring that fact and others because it doesn't fit into his anti-Ashley agenda. Note how he only seems to post on here when there is a window of opportunity to criticise Ashley.

Does Milner have a sell on clause in his contract from when he signed from Leeds?

I was reading comments by the current Leeds chairman the other day that they might be entitled to a windfall on an ex players of theirs that could be on his move.........assuming he was talking about Milner. Will try to find the link if needed

Guest guinness_fiend

I am glad that he has finally shown his true colours, especially given that the fact that he signed an improved deal last year means that we are likely to get a decent price for him.

Considering that he cannot cross, take corners or take people on and that he struggles to put the ball in the back of the net (bar the odd wonder goal), I wish him all the best persuading the fans of his new club that he is not another overrated English player.

I may be getting my wires twisted but wasnt there some talk of Leeds having a sell-on clause for Milner?

If so, then could the clubs (NU and AV) have agreed on  a deal which sees Milner asking for a move, thus losing his loyalty payment, but Villa make it up to him, meaning Villa and Newcastle have spent / received the same as originally wanted BUT the fee as regards Leeds is lower, thus giving them a smaller cut and saving Newcastle money?

If the inevitable result was that he was always going to leave, then IMO the club have done reasonably well in how they've handled it. First he was signed up to a new deal (increasing his value), then he was made to hand in a formal transfer request (denying him any bonuses I assume).

Maybe he's still suffering hurt pride from when we tried to offload him last time. Certainly seems like KK rates him.