James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manorpark - reluctant to spend? Surely bids for Coloccini, Modric, Aimer, Inler etc. show that there's money to spend.

How many times does this really need to be pointed out?

Oh my god  -  "B I D S" . . .

(or even more accurately  -  "reported bids").

How many times does THAT need to be pointed out?

Fine then, lets look at facts. Coloccini for a reported 9m going up to 10.3m - also reported to have signed the 'contract of his life'.

True, the Modric bid (I'll forget the Aimer & Inler ones because as Dave said, could be wrong) was made before any players were sold. In the end the deal didn't come off but it shows that the money is there for players of the right calibre. Gutierrez had an original asking price of 10m but we got around the via a loophole, but I imagine we still had to pay a few to get him in.

There's a difference between 'selling to buy' and simply getting rid of players that are no good for us.

How do you know (or 'imagine') that a Coloccini purchase would have been funded, if we had got (say) Modric?

Also, I don't think Keegan would agree with any of you "Milner haters" on here ("no good for us" !!!!)

I don't agree with you either.

I also asked if you thought it would just be a 'mere coincidence' if Ashley actually spends some money RIGHT NOW?

Well?

Have you ever thought that we might not have budgeted to buy another RM, and therefore we need the money from his transfer before we can buy a replacement.

er . . . is that not my point !!!!!!!!!!???

Eh?

We had (in Keegans opinion) a strong pool of wingers and therefore wasn't looking to buy another one.

Milner leaves so Keegan decides he does now need one.

Ashley sanctions the move.

This is not selling to buy. This is replacing a player who wanted to leave*

*If you hand a transfer request in you want to leave, bollocks to the looking for a pay rise crap

Buying when you have sold, when you probably (I said "probably") were not going to buy - irrespective of how the sale originated - is not the sign of a proactive club going forward.

I am still STUPID enough to think we should be accumulating good players and moving forward - not taking one step forward and one step backward (in whatever order) . . .

Manorpark - reluctant to spend? Surely bids for Coloccini, Modric, Aimer, Inler etc. show that there's money to spend.

Fine then, lets look at facts. Coloccini for a reported 9m going up to 10.3m - also reported to have signed the 'contract of his life'.

True, the Modric bid (I'll forget the Aimer & Inler ones because as Dave said, could be wrong) was made before any players were sold. In the end the deal didn't come off but it shows that the money is there for players of the right calibre. Gutierrez had an original asking price of 10m but we got around the via a loophole, but I imagine we still had to pay a few to get him in.

There's a difference between 'selling to buy' and simply getting rid of players that are no good for us.

How do you know (or 'imagine') that a Coloccini purchase would have been funded, if we had got (say) Modric?

Also, I don't think Keegan would agree with any of you "Milner haters" on here ("no good for us" !!!!)

I also asked if you thought it would just be a 'mere coincidence' if Ashley actually spends some money RIGHT NOW?

Well?

I'd rather we spent money now than didn't spend any just to prove you and your ridiculous theory wrong. There have been reports of us going for specific players all summer, with either agents or players themselves saying about interest - some I'll take with a pinch of salt but I wouldn't be surprised if some had truth in them. I honestly don't think that the club has been sat about hoping for the likes of James Milner to be sold just so we can buy some players.

Coloccini negotiations were started 3 months before he signed and Modric nearly signed in May I believe. Ashley has come out and said how he feels about the club but you clearly haven't read it or decided to simply disregard it because it doesn't fit in with your opinion. Keegan has said about the type of players we want - need even. It's the easiest thing in the world to go out and splash £10m here and there for players, that's how we ended up with Luque and Boumsong.

I'm curious where you got the 'Milner Hater' thing from as I've never really slagged him off or wanted him out. I do think that £12m is way too good to turn down though assuming he can be replaced. For a player his age and with his experience he just hasn't moved up the level required for me, he has little pace struggles to cross. I think we can get better and hope we do.

Wasn't meaning specifically YOU by the 'Milner Hater' thing - sorry if it read like that.

There are a LOT on here who are though!

You do make a fair few 'broad brush' statements about my opinions and how I form them.  None of them are true, by the way.

I am simply observing a disjointed organisation, failing to 'achieve' in the manner that it should be capable of achieving. Naturally (as this organisation is one that I personally care about) I am WORRIED.

Fair play about the Milner craic - same with any of our players I guess. Some go too far, you're right there.

On the topic of a disjointed organisation, you could seriously be talking about any premiership club outside of the top 4 really. Tottenham, City and Villa are the only teams that have really strengthened but all of their fans are still dropping bricks - Spurs, especially. I'd much rather we'd have done alot more to improve the first team squad but I think the issue is less with having no money to spend and simply just not being able to get the type of quality that we're after through the doors which is somewhat understandable given the last few seasons of managers, finishes and performances in general.

On the whole though, I am happy. We've gotten rid of players that never played or reached their potential - like Carr, Emre and Ramage and replaced them with players that have already shown a marked improvement on the first team squad. Some of the passing and confidence that we've shown against ManUtd, Bolton to a smaller extent and Coventry shows that changes are in place - and we're scoring goals with an unfit Michael Owen which fills me with loads of confidence.

I think that even if we had signed more quality, we'd still be in for a hit and miss season hopefully leading to a marked improvement and I feel that we may get a few more names through the door but if we don't I'm confident that we'll do good enough until January. Look what Keegan did at the end of last season with the players he had - that alone gives me faith. I'm not really panicing and if we don't sign anyone else I'll be a bit disappointed but not worried, I'll just go along for the ride because for the first time since Sir Bobby Robson, I trust the manager of the club.

I am WORRIED.

Go check yourself into a clinic for the terminally depressed then before you transmit your doom and gloom to others please.

Before I go  -  I have a lovely beachside property for sale, with its own sandy beach.  Its yours if you want it - bring your own spade . . .  or do you want me to dig the head-shaped hole for you?

Guest sittingontheball

If Dennis really is wise, part two of the plan is to now to give Moyes Milner money plus Smith for Arteta. Please God please!

£12m would be fantastic and probably best in longer term but given the lateness in the transfer market, it may hurt us this season (at least till Jan) and although there is still a few days to go and we may do something yet, my expectations for this season are falling daily.

That being said, I would back the sale at £12m - he isn't irreplaceable.

James Milner put in a transfer request. The club didn't want to sell him.

I'm guessing Smith, Viduka and Duff are all on more than Milner wage wise. If Mike Ashley wants to save a few quid on wages then get rid of them before Milner ffs. Keegan and the rest of the players no doubt pissed off.

p.s. i know some of you will disagree that Milner is not better than viduka, but your very wrong   :razz:  

I agree with you :) The fat aussie is hear to pick up his wages and will spend well over half the season injured.

This is not about Viduka, Smith or Duff and what wages they are on. It's about the club receiving a bid for a wantaway player at four times his worth.

I disagree, this is the club panicking and getting rid of assets people will actually buy, nobody would touch Viduka, Smith or Duff on the wages they are on with the track record they have hence why they are still here.

N'zogbia wanted out and even said so but he is still here!!! Milner was a sucess at Aston Villa and with the lack of right wingers about he is a very sellable asset and with the window approaching his value has risen.

Not at all disputing that 12 Mil is good value for money but it is the fact we need the money and won't be spending any that is dis-heartening :(

D Man speaks sense.

I'm guessing Smith, Viduka and Duff are all on more than Milner wage wise. If Mike Ashley wants to save a few quid on wages then get rid of them before Milner ffs. Keegan and the rest of the players no doubt pissed off.

p.s. i know some of you will disagree that Milner is not better than viduka, but your very wrong   :razz:  

I agree with you :) The fat aussie is hear to pick up his wages and will spend well over half the season injured.

This is not about Viduka, Smith or Duff and what wages they are on. It's about the club receiving a bid for a wantaway player at four times his worth.

I disagree, this is the club panicking and getting rid of assets people will actually buy, nobody would touch Viduka, Smith or Duff on the wages they are on with the track record they have hence why they are still here.

N'zogbia wanted out and even said so but he is still here!!! Milner was a sucess at Aston Villa and with the lack of right wingers about he is a very sellable asset and with the window approaching his value has risen.

Not at all disputing that 12 Mil is good value for money but it is the fact we need the money and won't be spending any that is dis-heartening :(

D Man speaks sense.

Even the bit where he states the club won't spend any of the money?

We desperately, desperately need a right midfielder, and we've got 72 hours to find one.

That's why we're letting you financially bumrape us for him.

Nah, haven't you read the thread, it's a piece of piss to find someone much better and cheaper (fee & wages) than Milner.

mackems.gif

We desperately, desperately need a right midfielder, and we've got 72 hours to find one.

Nah, haven't you read the thread, it's a piece of piss to find someone much better and cheaper (fee & wages) than Milner.

Andy Keogh. £7m should do it. Much better than Milner.

Easy :D

had he not and villa bid 12mill. the club would have sold him anyway

Well?

I'd rather we spent money now than didn't spend any just to prove you and your ridiculous theory wrong. There have been reports of us going for specific players all summer, with either agents or players themselves saying about interest - some I'll take with a pinch of salt but I wouldn't be surprised if some had truth in them. I honestly don't think that the club has been sat about hoping for the likes of James Milner to be sold just so we can buy some players.

Coloccini negotiations were started 3 months before he signed and Modric nearly signed in May I believe. Ashley has come out and said how he feels about the club but you clearly haven't read it or decided to simply disregard it because it doesn't fit in with your opinion. Keegan has said about the type of players we want - need even. It's the easiest thing in the world to go out and splash £10m here and there for players, that's how we ended up with Luque and Boumsong.

I'm curious where you got the 'Milner Hater' thing from as I've never really slagged him off or wanted him out. I do think that £12m is way too good to turn down though assuming he can be replaced. For a player his age and with his experience he just hasn't moved up the level required for me, he has little pace struggles to cross. I think we can get better and hope we do.

Wasn't meaning specifically YOU by the 'Milner Hater' thing - sorry if it read like that.

There are a LOT on here who are though!

You do make a fair few 'broad brush' statements about my opinions and how I form them.  None of them are true, by the way.

I am simply observing a disjointed organisation, failing to 'achieve' in the manner that it should be capable of achieving. Naturally (as this organisation is one that I personally care about) I am WORRIED.

Fair play about the Milner craic - same with any of our players I guess. Some go too far, you're right there.

On the topic of a disjointed organisation, you could seriously be talking about any premiership club outside of the top 4 really. Tottenham, City and Villa are the only teams that have really strengthened but all of their fans are still dropping bricks - Spurs, especially. I'd much rather we'd have done alot more to improve the first team squad but I think the issue is less with having no money to spend and simply just not being able to get the type of quality that we're after through the doors which is somewhat understandable given the last few seasons of managers, finishes and performances in general.

On the whole though, I am happy. We've gotten rid of players that never played or reached their potential - like Carr, Emre and Ramage and replaced them with players that have already shown a marked improvement on the first team squad. Some of the passing and confidence that we've shown against ManUtd, Bolton to a smaller extent and Coventry shows that changes are in place - and we're scoring goals with an unfit Michael Owen which fills me with loads of confidence.

I think that even if we had signed more quality, we'd still be in for a hit and miss season hopefully leading to a marked improvement and I feel that we may get a few more names through the door but if we don't I'm confident that we'll do good enough until January. Look what Keegan did at the end of last season with the players he had - that alone gives me faith. I'm not really panicing and if we don't sign anyone else I'll be a bit disappointed but not worried, I'll just go along for the ride because for the first time since Sir Bobby Robson, I trust the manager of the club.

You make a lot of good points.

Whether the good things you mention are 'enough', and WHY much. much more is not being done - I do not know!

We should not be the disjointed mess we are  -  there is no logical reason for us to be like this.

Milner was out of the team for the entirety of our winning run towards the end of last season. We scored more goals, and in general were a lot more effective without him on the pitch.

Before he became a frist-team regular we had Nobby Solano who was twice the player Milner is. He created more and he scored more. If we want to get back to challenging for Europe we need less players of James Milner's standard and more players of Nobby Solano's standard.

So much has been reported about the behind the scenes shenanigans here but in actual fact we, and the media, know f*** all about what's going on. Mike Ashley may be a business man but he's not an idiot. If he's prepared to sell Milner it's because we have someone better lined up to replace him, no doubt. He's looking to make us a successful team and he's looking to attract fresh investment into the club.  You don't do that by further depleting a threadbare squad.

Have faith.

:lol:

FYP

FYP

FYP

FYP

FYP

FYP

FYP

FYP

FYP

:laugh:

Maybe so. But the fact is he DID put in a transfer request, so I don't see where all the criticism of the board is coming from. He wants to leave, we're getting the best possible price for him. Simple as that.

Well?

Have you ever thought that we might not have budgeted to buy another RM, and therefore we need the money from his transfer before we can buy a replacement.

er . . . is that not my point !!!!!!!!!!???

Eh?

We had (in Keegans opinion) a strong pool of wingers and therefore wasn't looking to buy another one.

Milner leaves so Keegan decides he does now need one.

Ashley sanctions the move.

This is not selling to buy. This is replacing a player who wanted to leave*

*If you hand a transfer request in you want to leave, bollocks to the looking for a pay rise crap

Buying when you have sold, when you probably (I said "probably") were not going to buy - irrespective of how the sale originated - is not the sign of a proactive club going forward.

I am still STUPID enough to think we should be accumulating good players and moving forward - not taking one step forward and one step backward (in whatever order) . . .

I don't think anyone would disagree with your second sentance there. But every club at some stage will have to buy a REPLACEMENT player due to one of their players wanting to leave the club. The point is that you can not say that if Ashley NOW gives Keegan cash to REPLACE James Milner (either a Right Winger or Attacking Midfielder depending on how Keegan sees Duff/Jonas/Zoggy/Geremi fitting in) then we are selling to buy. We are Buying because we have had to sell - slight difference.

If however we are selling Milner and never had any plans to buy anyone else and Ashley sees this as a way to offset the Colo fee or to repay some of the deferred payments he has mentioned on past signings then I take your point about the direction the club is going in

Milner was out of the team for the entirety of our winning run towards the end of last season. We scored more goals, and in general were a lot more effective without him on the pitch.

Before he became a frist-team regular we had Nobby Solano who was twice the player Milner is. He created more and he scored more. If we want to get back to challenging for Europe we need less players of James Milner's standard and more players of Nobby Solano's standard.

So much has been reported about the behind the scenes shenanigans here but in actual fact we, and the media, know f*** all about what's going on. Mike Ashley may be a business man but he's not an idiot. If he's prepared to sell Milner it's because we have someone better lined up to replace him, no doubt. He's looking to make us a successful team and he's looking to attract fresh investment into the club.  You don't do that by further depleting a threadbare squad.

Have faith.

i don't necessarily think we have someone lined up but if someone offers you subsatntially more than someone is worth,and that player isn't vital to you,you take it.

My God you are right...we should never have let Milner go for even £20million !!! He is irreplaceable!!!!  :suicide:

Guest toonlass

:laugh:

Maybe so. But the fact is he DID put in a transfer request, so I don't see where all the criticism of the board is coming from. He wants to leave, we're getting the best possible price for him. Simple as that.

For some, old habits die hard.

I am a bit gutted, its a cracking price for him but its so late in the window and we have a piss poor squad. I would have told him and Villa that the deal can wait until the January window he aint going anywhere until then..

I am WORRIED.

Go check yourself into a clinic for the terminally depressed then before you transmit your doom and gloom to others please.

Before I go  -  I have a lovely beachside property for sale, with its own sandy beach.  Its yours if you want it - bring your own spade . . .  or do you want me to dig the head-shaped hole for you?

I remember Keegan on the steps of St James's defending the sale of Cole to angry supporters, Keegan was, of course, proved right.

You think this is different, or perhaps more similar than you realise yet? Not that Milner holds a candle to Andy Cole in terms of end product, but Keegans role in this is not negligible.

If we don't get a replacement, considerably better and more productive to the team then I'll join you in your terminal depression, but I'm giving it until January before i sink that low.

Guest Geordiesned

My God you are right...we should never have let Milner go for even £20million !!! He is irreplaceable!!!!   :suicide:

Well if we don't get someone in before the transfer window closes then, erm, yes, he is.