James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

to think, we let milner take freekicks all that time, when nicky butt is far better. geremi can f*** off from 25 yards as well now.

Lets not get carried away, the fact that Nicky Butt was our best option to take a freekick is a worry on it's own tbh.

To be fair to Butt, I've seen him take two free-kicks for us since he arrived.

One he hit the bar at Arsenal last season, last night he hit the post.

Can't be that bad!

to think, we let milner take freekicks all that time, when nicky butt is far better. geremi can f*** off from 25 yards as well now.

Lets not get carried away, the fact that Nicky Butt was our best option to take a freekick is a worry on it's own tbh.

Can't be that bad!

So still room for improvement then.  ;D 

Can't be that bad!

So still room for improvement then.   ;D 

:lol:

He's obviously got the ability to take them so it's surprising he's only taken the two.

nee idea why villa bought him, doesnt fit into the counter attacking with pace philosophy at all was owned all night by our fullbacks

Didn't you hear Setanta? He has 'pace' and 'crosses a great ball'. Must be a different James Milner to the one that we had.

nee idea why villa bought him, doesnt fit into the counter attacking with pace philosophy at all was owned all night by our fullbacks

Didn't you hear Setanta? He has 'pace' and 'crosses a great ball'. Must be a different James Milner to the one that we had.

....and Shola reminds them of 'Fash the Bash'.....really crap commentators, nearly as bad as early CH5!!

Villa played a 4-3-3 type game last season with Young and Agbonlahor either side of Carew, not sure if the formation change was to accommodate Milner or if it was planned all along.

I was under the same impression, but Brummie told me it's not the case and never has been.

Still, not sure where a player like Milner fits in as part of a pacey, direct side like Villa.

Villa played a 4-3-3 type game last season with Young and Agbonlahor either side of Carew, not sure if the formation change was to accommodate Milner or if it was planned all along.

It was planned to accommodate a right-sided midfielder, but not Milner specifically (iirc). They started Reo-Coker on the right wing to start the season with Petrov and Barry in the midfield. They sold Maloney which seems a bit dodgy considering they still don't have an adequate back-up for Milner (!), and Maloney was versatile enough that he could often switch wings with Young as well.

I'm still not sure about Gutierrez starting on the right wing when he just seems more effective cutting in from the left. Apart from his hair-style, his game - the way he cuts in and eludes players - reminds me a lot of Pires. And if he starts on the left, Duff's playing.

If we could get a new left winger, that'd be fantastic, so that we can still continue overloading one side of the pitch. Jonas does good tracking-back on the right hand side and he's got the stamina and pace to cover his ground if we lose the ball while he's out of position.

Guest neesy111

Does he still need to be replaced or should we put our efforts into other areas of the pitch?

Duff's wank, so yes.

bit harsh, duff has been our best player last 4 games in total

Does he still need to be replaced or should we put our efforts into other areas of the pitch?

Duff's wank, so yes.

bit harsh, duff has been our best player last 4 games in total

he's still been mediocre iyam. he does a very good job running around, closing people down and making himself available for passes, but errr, that's about it. he's actually beat one or two players but hasn't followed it up with anything substantial.

Duff is being played more for what he offers going backwards rather than forwards. In any case we have 3 left wingers, we could do a genuine right winger. A real one, not another plank like Milner.