James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm loving the fickleness of our fans.

Before last night's game he was total s*** and should have been sold for £4m+ at the first opportunity. One good game later and now he's on the way out with us probably able to demand a nice figure for him and everyone's up in arms. :lol:

:lol:

He always gives his all, everyone knows that, most have always said his end product is shit, my only problem with this is how late in the window he has left it to ask to be away.

Clearly he is an important squad member at the moment. When he is fit he has been picked, who ever our manager has been.

He may not be Ronaldo but he works his bollox off the whole time, and gives support to attack and defence all the time. He is the sort of solid dependable player that O'Neill has traditionally built his winning sides around. He matches up with a Stan Petrov or an Alan Thompson at Celtic for example.

As for a replacement well Jonas was bought int he summer, and he is the man. The issue then though is the lack of strength in depth again.

The club manager should know his players, should be managing their expectations and should have a plan in place for the loss of any of them, be it through sudden transfer request or unexpected injury. That is what managers are supposed to do.

I would rather he stayed, and am vaguely amused at him messing us aroudn at deadline time, rather than the other way around.

Everyone seems to think that £9m is more than he is worth. That is cos we are still looking at transfer fees rfom a couple of years ago. Sky money has been bumped up, EVERY side has an extra £10m this year they can spend. Milner is a 22 year old, first choice player for a Premiership side, has over 120 Premiership appearances, what better CV can a player have?

Am I the only one excited about who we'll bring in to replace him then?

Na me too. Even though the usual names of SWP, Lennon and Pennant have all been mentioned, i reckon we might pluck someone from abroad TBH.

Can't understand why anyone is happy that a young, first team regular, in a paper thin squad, puts in a transfer request near the end of the transfer window. This suggest that he's not happy with where he sees the club going & knows other clubs want him more & are better equiped for success.

He will never have pace but he is a consistent performer.

Im happy.

He's a decent winger, but he's an anti-footballer. He's capapble of beating a fullback several times, he's aggressive in terms of taking them on, he works hard and tracks back, he's two footed to an extent, and he can put in a good cross or a good shot once in a blue moon. But he's also someone who hogs the ball, i.e. when he gets it into a certain area the rest of the team may as well stand around hands on hips whilst hes turning in and out and running in slow motion to the touchline before putting in an aimless cross. He doesnt contribute to pass 'n' move football at all, in my mind he's someone incapable of playing in that sort of system - the teams that will buy him will want him because he's pretty much a solo player. His passing is average, extremely average, he probably hasnt had an assist in his entire career with us that wasnt a cross, and his all round technical ability is pretty much extremely average too. He's pretty much a well drilled winger with a high work rate, but anything that comes to him outside of that drilled environment and he's out of his depth.

Yes, it is a blow to lose a regular with such a weak squad, we wouldnt want the likes of Smith or Ameobi getting regular games in midfield because of injury problems or international tournaments. But its a small price to pay for losing someone who'll want regular games, someone who contributes negatively to the team as a whole.

Am I the only one excited about who we'll bring in to replace him then?

I am also excited I reckon we'll be looking at SWP.  Wrighty said he was in Manchester for talks yesterday maybe he'll be here today, or maybe they've already signed someone completely different and are just waiting for the Media to start claiming we sold him because we have no money, Ashley wants out etc then we announce the signing of the greatest winger the world has ever known.

Clearly he is an important squad member at the moment. When he is fit he has been picked, who ever our manager has been.

He may not be Ronaldo but he works his bollox off the whole time, and gives support to attack and defence all the time. He is the sort of solid dependable player that O'Neill has traditionally built his winning sides around. He matches up with a Stan Petrov or an Alan Thompson at Celtic for example.

As for a replacement well Jonas was bought int he summer, and he is the man. The issue then though is the lack of strength in depth again.

The club manager should know his players, should be managing their expectations and should have a plan in place for the loss of any of them, be it through sudden transfer request or unexpected injury. That is what managers are supposed to do.

I would rather he stayed, and am vaguely amused at him messing us aroudn at deadline time, rather than the other way around.

Everyone seems to think that £9m is more than he is worth. That is cos we are still looking at transfer fees rfom a couple of years ago. Sky money has been bumped up, EVERY side has an extra £10m this year they can spend. Milner is a 22 year old, first choice player for a Premiership side, has over 120 Premiership appearances, what better CV can a player have?

Unnamed player

* Can cut left

* Fast stepovers

* Can cross

I'm loving the fickleness of our fans.

Before last night's game he was total s*** and should have been sold for £4m+ at the first opportunity. One good game later and now he's on the way out with us probably able to demand a nice figure for him and everyone's up in arms. :lol:

He always gives his all, everyone knows that, most have always said his end product is s***, my only problem with this is how late in the window he has left it to ask to be away.

Change in attitude probably has more to do with the fact that Villa fans would apparently be happy to pay 12m for him...

If their board thinks the same way, why not hold out for a big fee?

Unnamed player

* Can cut left

* Fast stepovers

* Can cross

* Faster than your average beer swilling lager lout

fixed.

Strange timing, just as he gets a couple of games and is gaining in stature he wants away again. As people have said though, this has prob been going on for a while.

If he wants away he's by no means essential to us, I still don't know what would make another club shell out anything in the region of £8m.

Guest musika

There are other players as well to discuss – James Milner and Steve Harper – and that will be done next Wednesday once the Coventry game is out of the way. I have not been party to these talks, meaning I have not been in the room, but I have been informed and I don’t see any reason why all these players whose contracts have got to certain stages, why we can’t secure all those players.

-KK

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/tm_headline=keegan-relaxed-over-owen-s-future-at-united%26method=full%26objectid=21590589%26siteid=61634-name_page.html

My suspicion is that this is purely down to wage demands - and this quote from Kevin Keegan also explains why Milner has only just now handed in a transfer request. Probably sat down with the board after the game, was told they wouldn't be offering him what he was demanding, and so he walked out of the room in a huff with his agent and told him "  #$%^ it, transfer list me, see how the b******'s will like that  "

Atleast that's how I imagined it went.

edit : finally got it right

doesnt look that clever to me tbh

Well.. Maybe. All speculation aside, I'm gutted (partially because I've just ordered my Milner shirt for the season  :rant:)

I honestly think that KK / the board are in complete control of this situation. Firmly believe this has been going on for 1 month+.

Milner makes noises about new contract - board says nothing doing, so he makes it clear he wants to leave (without putting a request in)

KK bigs him up in the media, CONSTANTLY, for two - three weeks. 'Last player we want to sell', etc.

Milner's stance stays the same. Management leave it until now to give him an ultimatum i.e. you must hand in a transfer request and waive your loyalty bonus.

KK comments in media, 'time running out, not sure if we'll get anyone in, etc' - just further mutterings to bump up the price.

Even if we can't get a replacement in, evrything is in place to ensure silly money, IMHO.

I would love it if we were that clever. 

all things point to that we are that clever.

as been said....lad tries hard....wants to leave....meh...MON can give us 10 mill, and can have him

Can't understand why anyone is happy that a young, first team regular, in a paper thin squad, puts in a transfer request near the end of the transfer window. This suggest that he's not happy with where he sees the club going & knows other clubs want him more & are better equiped for success.

He will never have pace but he is a consistent performer.

We'd better have some pretty big rabbits waiting in a top hat somewhere.

I bloody well hope that this meeting today gets things moving. Our decent start to the season is in danger of glossing over a severe lack in investment. 

He's neither a first team regular (shouldn't be) or a consistent performer. Last night, for example, was the first time in months that he has put in, what i would call, an acceptable performance and we were playing Coventry. He lacks pace and end product, i won't buy that because he is young we need to keep him.

Are you telling me if Villa put an 8m+ bid in for him we shouldn't take it?

The key in the whole thing is if we can find a replacement because as you say, our squad is thin.

All things being equal I'd take 8- 9 Mill. My concern is that we have unsettled players (Zog, Milner), under-performing players (sic) in Ameobi, Smith, injury prone players (Owen, Martins, Viduka, Duff) and Joey Barton.....

All this in a paper thin squad.

We had a decent start to last season, there was early optimism from many & then the wheels fell off.

We do not have the squad to deal with the set backs when they come & they will. We need players in, not out.

Guest musika

should have sacked barton and gave milner a wage increase.........its a joke

yep, thats the problem here - Barton.