Michael Owen

Kitman

He was class on saturday.  Really looked like he cared.

If he goes, we WONT get anyone better than him its as simple as that, thats why we should pull out all the stops to keep him.

That ship has sailed. He's as good as gone. And tmonkey I'm not just talking about the hull game, he's a class apart all the time imo.

He's not as good as gone. The new owner will be desperate to keep a marketable asset like him and I'd imagine he'll be offered a bumper new deal by whoever takes over.

They only silver lining as far as Owen is concerned is that the window has just shut,  and we have 4 months to sort this clusterfuck up.

Guest chris1210

This is perhaps the biggest travesty of this latest shambolic offering. We have all but lost our best player by a country-mile.

I don't believe he will sign irrelevent of who buys or who manages now - the lad is essentially at the peak of his career, seems to have to an extent, put his injury woes behind him, and would rightfully want to see his career go out on a bang in the last few years. Unfortunately the club is not in the position to give him that opportunity - so in the same way I would've understood Given moving on, i can see why Owen would pack his bags.

He was class on saturday.  Really looked like he cared.

If he goes, we WONT get anyone better than him its as simple as that, thats why we should pull out all the stops to keep him.

That ship has sailed. He's as good as gone. And tmonkey I'm not just talking about the hull game, he's a class apart all the time imo.

He's certainly a higher calibre player than most of our squad, but then we know we dont have a squad full of good players - and ignoring the fact that its far too early to judge, Gutierrez hasn't looked too far off in terms of quality, his opening game performance against ManU was significantly better than any Owen has had for us against a top side.

Owen is a quality player to have because he has the ability to be the difference between us and a mid table or lower side - although in all honesty, more often than not he seems to be that "difference" when he's coming off the bench, whereas he's usually nearly that difference when he starts. Above that level of opposition, im not so sure Owen is really that good a player to make an impact against better sides. For example, against a team full of classy young players like Arsenal, Owen along with the rest of our team (bar Gutierrez - again) looked distinctly a calibre below what Arsenal had out there, in terms of their all round ability anyway. Hence, I dont agree that he's someone we'll not better for a long time - hopefully we'll sort things out by next season and start building from there, and the truth is that there are alot of players of Owen's calibre dotted around world football, we just need to be lucky or well equipped enough to sign some of them.

We've moved on from better players in the past certainly - considerably better ones in fact if we're looking at purely contribution to our club on the pitch.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

He'll be offered megabucks by zabeel along with promises of new signings and he'll stay and say it was his intention all along ;)

It is a shame because I think Keegan had him won over and he wanted to stay but the way the Club has treated him in the last few months is appalling.  Hawking him around whilst saying they have offered him a contract to cover their backs plus what has happened in the last fortnight.  I imagine he cannot wait to be away now and I wouldn't blame him - unless of course we manage to sell the club to someone who can afford his wages, bring in a top manager and buy some players.

I reckon Owen's dithering over a contract is one of the main contributory factors to the mess we're in at the moment.

Dithering? Until recently the club never offered him anything to dither over as far as I'm aware.

I reckon Owen's dithering over a contract is one of the main contributory factors to the mess we're in at the moment.

Dithering? Until recently the club never offered him anything to dither over as far as I'm aware.

Wasn't it released that we'd offered him an improved deal?

Whether "dithering" is the right word or not, I can imagine a scenario whereby Keegan publicly tieing himself to the hope that Owen should stay, come what may, strengthens Owen's bargaining position to the point that Ashley can't make what he considers to be a satisfactory deal, gives up, tries to sell the player while he can still get something for him, and thus pisses Keegan off. Or else Owen did indeed just dither until they were at the point where Ashley had his last chance of selling him. It's no odds to Owen.

Whether "dithering" is the right word or not, I can imagine a scenario whereby Keegan publicly tieing himself to the hope that Owen should stay, come what may, strengthens Owen's bargaining position to the point that Ashley can't make what he considers to be a satisfactory deal, gives up, tries to sell the player while he can still get something for him, and thus pisses Keegan off. Or else Owen did indeed just dither until they were at the point where Ashley had his last chance of selling him. It's no odds to Owen.

In which case, thank f*ck Keegan went. It's rubbish. He's got nowt to do with it.

Theres no way we know what Owens thinking,its all guess work.Hes either holding out for a big contract which was probably the case when Keegan was here but now I would say hes playing for a contract with another club.Hard to know really, I am desperate for us to hold on to him though

Will be nothing short of furious and fucking GUTTED if we lose Owen, right there and then we would go from a club that wants to be in Europe to mid table fodder, why? Simple, we wouldnt replace him, we wouldnt have anyone of such quality left here and our results would change dramatically.

we need him and he's very very good at putting the ball in the net but how people overrate him, honestly

You say overrate, but tell me who else at the club can score goals like Owen can?

well mate, for a start, how does the performance of our other strikers relate to Owen's ability?

as for your question, Viduka is basically a 1 in 2 man when fit, the rest cant really compete just yet although Martins and Xisco are well on the way (like Xisco a lot, saw him a bit last season)

Owen is our best goalscorer but that doesn't make him a world class footballer, far from it. He isn't even a world class goalscorer really, not when you look at the records of certain players. Remember, cousin Michael has never hit the big 20 in a campaign