Poyet rules himself out of running for NUFC job

BONTEMPI

Poyet might be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of people in actively supporting Newcastle. Beats me why anybody would think he's popular north of Watford and there is absolutely no reason I can see that he'd be any more acceptable than wise. Except to those who don't mind bending over a getting f***ed yet again. And there appears to be a number of them on this forum.

well said, we cant let the sheep decide, we will run round in circles forever....oh look...the grass is greener over there...baahh

I seriuosly question your constant and frankly disturbing refrence to sheep, you may find you need to seek help my friend.

What's to say Poyet would be any more of a gamble than Laudrup, Rijkaard, or any other foreign coach? It's highly unlikey in the current system a British manager would want to come in. Some fans really need to let Keegan go, he gone, done, finished and this club needs to find a replacement.

So you can continue your pathetic and frankly futile crusade while I get on with supporting my football club, enjoy.

Guest Sniffer

Unfortunately supporting our club at this time is tacitly supporting that little twat wise in his attempts to take it over. But if you like him....fine. I have more integrity than lending support to a little twat that has goaded and taunted Newcastle fans over the years. But, hey...that's just me.

Apart from scoring against us every bloody time he played against us, has Poyet actually done anything anti-Toon?

I can understand the Wise Hating as he was an odious little twerp on the field and only got a way with 99% of his actions due to him being a 'cheeky cokney chapey', but I can't remember Poyet doing anything other than his job against us.

And if that is the case, would people turn down the chance to buy Ronaldo or Rooney? Lets not forget also that Shearer had a big part to play in the 2-2 draw at Ewood which helped the Premier League title got to Old Trafford in 96.

From what I've seen of Poyet as a coach/number 2 he seems to have his head screwed on and a decent mind for tactics. My only reservation would be how close he and Wise are as I believe in having people working alongside you who are willing to challenge you when they think your ideas are wrong

Poyet might be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of people in actively supporting Newcastle. Beats me why anybody would think he's popular north of Watford and there is absolutely no reason I can see that he'd be any more acceptable than wise. Except to those who don't mind bending over a getting fucked yet again. And there appears to be a number of them on this forum.

I've never seen your posting on so much form as it has been the last week. Sniffs for leader.

I don't think any current or former managers from Britain are either realistic or good enough.

That means either finding a manager from abroad, or alternatively finding a non-manager with potential and making him a manager.

Looking at current managers, the likes of Terim and Zico may be touting themselves, but lets face it, the board want to operate a structure that get's quality at a good value, and those names will inevitably lead to trouble further down the line, and I don't think their management track records make them worth that risk.

If you consider the Spanish lot, for Marcelino and Lotina, read Allardyce, Redknapp.

Gerard Houllier would be the Dalglish to Keegan.

Deschamps and Billic have done reasonably well, but there is no reason to think that a carefully selected non-manager could not do better. For instance Keegan's record as a debutant manager exceeds theirs. Who knows what might have happenned if Poyet had managed Uruguay and Zola managed Parma?

The truth is that there are no available current managers who I think could either work with the system, or who have the track record that could guarantee the football the fans will expect to see post-Keegan.

Believe me, I am unhappy with the board over the departure of Keegan, and believe they should have been more flexible with their system. I am however concerned with the cult of personality that has developed, and I reckon that if fans allow these attitudes to proceed in to the long term, they will be bringing their own club to their knees.

As far as non-managers go, both Poyet and Zola were great players, popular men, and have proved themselves as being good coaches. Put aside clubs they've played for, goals they've scored, people they happen to be friends with, and they are two people who have the potential to be good managers.

Other managers named in this post have an equal chance of failure, but a lesser chance of success. Poyet or Zola are a gamble, but at least they are a gamble that has a chance of paying if the fans can put their feelings aside and not blame the manager for the failings of others.

Just think of those other previous gambles: Michael Laudrup, Frank Rijkaard, Marco van Basten, Slaven Bilic, Didier Deschamps, Mark Hughes, Jurgen Klinnsman and Kevin Keegan.

and there's also plenty of other first time gambles that have failed, probably far more failures than successes i'd imagine. even your list includes one, Rijkaard, who in his first club job at sparta rotterdam got the side relegated for the first time in their 114 year history. even the great bobby robson was a failure in his first spell in charge of a side, getting fulham relegated. it's a steep learning curve and i wouldnt want to experiment.

Poyet might be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of people in actively supporting Newcastle. Beats me why anybody would think he's popular north of Watford and there is absolutely no reason I can see that he'd be any more acceptable than wise. Except to those who don't mind bending over a getting f***ed yet again. And there appears to be a number of them on this forum.

well said, we cant let the sheep decide, we will run round in circles forever....oh look...the grass is greener over there...baahh

I seriuosly question your constant and frankly disturbing refrence to sheep, you may find you need to seek help my friend.

What's to say Poyet would be any more of a gamble than Laudrup, Rijkaard, or any other foreign coach? It's highly unlikey in the current system a British manager would want to come in. Some fans really need to let Keegan go, he gone, done, finished and this club needs to find a replacement.

So you can continue your pathetic and frankly futile crusade while I get on with supporting my football club, enjoy.

:thup:

CP82 is seriously getting on me tits. Negativity and sheep, he must be a mackem in disguise imo.

Apart from scoring against us every bloody time he played against us, has Poyet actually done anything anti-Toon?

I can understand the Wise Hating as he was an odious little twerp on the field and only got a way with 99% of his actions due to him being a 'cheeky cokney chapey', but I can't remember Poyet doing anything other than his job against us.

And if that is the case, would people turn down the chance to buy Ronaldo or Rooney? Lets not forget also that Shearer had a big part to play in the 2-2 draw at Ewood which helped the Premier League title got to Old Trafford in 96.

From what I've seen of Poyet as a coach/number 2 he seems to have his head screwed on and a decent mind for tactics. My only reservation would be how close he and Wise are as I believe in having people working alongside you who are willing to challenge you when they think your ideas are wrong

Poyet is widely regarded as an up and coming coach. He would dovetail with Wise and Jiminez no problem, and it makes sense to have everyone singing from the same page. Unless we get someone buying out Ashley, this is the direction we are going in.

Poyet is a big mate of Toon director of blow football Dennis Wise, who in turn is a big mate of big Ashley. Given the flak Wise and Ashley have copped over Kevin Keegan's treatment, it is tempting to believe that, as a final act of p*ss-taking, they'll appoint Poyet on a massive salary and long-term contract safe in the knowledge that the new owners, whoever they might be, will be responsible for paying him off.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/racing-betting/mcgovern/2008/09/09/gus-poyet-is-a-great-bet-to-be-the-new-newcastle-manager-115875-20729874/

Poyet is a big mate of Toon director of blow football Dennis Wise, who in turn is a big mate of big Ashley. Given the flak Wise and Ashley have copped over Kevin Keegan's treatment, it is tempting to believe that, as a final act of p*ss-taking, they'll appoint Poyet on a massive salary and long-term contract safe in the knowledge that the new owners, whoever they might be, will be responsible for paying him off.

SpinTheBlackCircle struggles with more than 5 words so it was obvious he didn't write it. :lol:

CP82 is seriously getting on me tits. Negativity and sheep, he must be a mackem in disguise imo.

Talking of that - what happened to that shitteam chappie?

There may be a bit more to Wise than meets the eye. I can remember reading an article by Cascarino about him a while ago, shortly after Wise had taken over at Leeds. Cascarino said he was very surprised when Wise became a manager, because previously he'd seen him as the head-banger that was his image and reputation as a player. Then, when they were both attending some kind of coaching course, he noticed that Wise was the most studious of the trainees there. He was always going round with his note book, jotting down every good idea that he heard and picking everyone's brains. He really was taking his own education very seriously.

I wouldn't say that the leopard has completely changed his spots, but there may be another dimension to his character. In the couple of interviews of Poyet that I've seen, he's comes across as quite calm, intelligent and well spoken. He and Wise must have something in common if they've chosen to work together.

the people kissing ashleys arse are getting on my tits.

As has been said the appointment of Poyet would be the inevitable and obvious outcome of what has been going on at the club. Poyet comes across as a decent bloke and a worthy No.2 at the club's he's been at. If he comes he'll be a coach and nothing more as has now been proved by the Keegan saga. "Here's what you've got Gus - do with them what you can. If it all goes tits up we'll have a look around and sort something out in January." job description.

Ok, fine. Whatever. What is now without question is this club, it's structure, the overall look of the team and the future transfer philosophy is now totally in the hands of Denis Wise. Who goes, who stays, who comes in are all decisions that he will either say yay or nay to. He'll have the final say as Ashley must value his judgement. Keegan has turned out to be nothing more than a sop to keep the fans happy over a period of time and in the background Wise has been manipulating the Board for his own ends. He has played the long game and won if Poyet get's the job. "Here you go mate, job sorted. Have a go at that." Footballing nepotism via a backstabbing lying little twerp.

Jesus H. C on a bike. If someone had told me a year ago Newcastle United would be run as a defacto Denis Wise fiefdom I'd of sent you on a one way ticket to the Looney bin.

To you my friend, a Rhyme,

Bah Bah, Black ( and white sheep), have you any balls,

no sir no sir, please take my arse,

my arse for the master, and for his mates,

and the horrible little man, All from down the ' LANE'

I was going to do start I poll about who you would least like to be our next manager.

Poyet would have been the hands down winner of that one for me.

I can't believe that some people on here are actually open to his appointment. Have we sunk so low that we are considering employing Spuds assistant manager who was formerly number two at a league one club ?

Apart from this, he's done absolutely nothing to suggest that he's ready for a role as big as this. Nothing.

This would be an absolute suicidal appointment by Ashley, I honestly don't think he's that stupid. Poyet would get zero support, absolute zero support from the bulk of the fans, apathy would be returned to those that were re-invigorated under KK.

What's even more laughable is that the papers would have us believe that we won't be able to get him because he doesn't want to move up north. Crazy just crazy.

I was going to do start I poll about who you would least like to be our next manager.

I can't believe that some people on here are actually open to his appointment. Have we sunk so low that we are considering employing Spuds assistant manager who was formerly number two at a league one club ?

Apart from this, he's done absolutely nothing to suggest that he's ready for a role as big as this. Nothing.

This would be an absolute suicidal appointment by Ashley, I honestly don't think he's that stupid. Poyet would get zero support, absolute zero support from the bulk of the fans, apathy would be returned to those that were re-invigorated under KK.

What's even more laughable is that the papers would have us believe that we won't be able to get him because he doesn't want to move up north. Crazy just crazy.

Basically it is a choice of:

1) Someone with a good track record who won't like the boardroom's transfer policy.

2) Someone experienced who is purely mediocre.

3) Someone unproven or with limited experince, but with some potential.

1 and 2 will fail, at least option 3 gives the club a chance of having something to smile about.

Gets my award for the stupidest comment of the year. Are you for real ? An assistant manager who's CV consists of number two at at league one club and number two at a club who finished middle table in the prem and are currently 2nd bottom of the PL is no more of a risk than a European cup winner and multi la liga winner, who's managed one of the bigggest clubs in the world ?

1) Someone with a good track record who won't like the boardroom's transfer policy.

1 and 2 will fail, at least option 3 gives the club a chance of having something to smile about.

There are tons of better options that Gus Poyet for option 3.

Gets my award for the stupidest comment of the year. Are you for real ? An assistant manager who's CV consists of number two at at league one club and number two at a club who finished middle table in the prem and are currently 2nd bottom of the PL is no more of a risk than a European cup winner and multi la liga winner, who's managed one of the bigggest clubs in the world ?

I think he means before they got their big breaks at management.

Name them.

Name them.

Roberto Martinez

I'm not discounting Poyet as an option, he interests me somewhat as a coach.

But having witnessed the buzz about the Swansea team down here and the fact that he is as much a coach as a traditional manager I'm championing Martinez as our new First Team Coach assuming Ashley stays.

If we get taken over I would fully expect a 'big name' to come in.