Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

Got a feeling if we'd had Jonas, Martins, Guthrie and Barton available nobody would have typed James Milner's name in weeks.

That's incorrect. If they'd all been available we'd have been talking about what good business £12m was.

The problem is, we didn't bring in enough players to pad out our squad, so we are missing him, no doubt.

In order for us to "miss him", he must be a better player then what we currently have. On the fact that Geremi had more assists than he did last season, and has at least a semblance of understanding with Owen (in delivering free kicks and crossses), no we don't miss him at all.

According to ESPN, in 3 seasons with 89 starts + 8 sub appearances, Gutiérrez had 5 goals and 8 assists with Mallorca, that's less than 2 goals and 3 assists per season.

I guess we haven't been missing him either and should stick with Geremi?

We should also be looking to sell him on in January if we can make a decent profit.

That depends if you can get your head around what pace and movement brings to a team, something that Milner had neither of.

Are we still talking about how Geremi's better than Milner here?

Got a feeling if we'd had Jonas, Martins, Guthrie and Barton available nobody would have typed James Milner's name in weeks.

That's incorrect. If they'd all been available we'd have been talking about what good business £12m was.

The problem is, we didn't bring in enough players to pad out our squad, so we are missing him, no doubt.

In order for us to "miss him", he must be a better player then what we currently have. On the fact that Geremi had more assists than he did last season, and has at least a semblance of understanding with Owen (in delivering free kicks and crossses), no we don't miss him at all.

According to ESPN, in 3 seasons with 89 starts + 8 sub appearances, Gutiérrez had 5 goals and 8 assists with Mallorca, that's less than 2 goals and 3 assists per season.

We should also be looking to sell him on in January if we can make a decent profit.

I'd call £8 million a decent profit on Milner, £12 million is a lot more than decent.

£8m is probably what we got after Leeds took their sell on fee, but £10-12m + increasing his wages is what Everton & Villa were willing to pay.

How much do you reckon we can get for Gutiérrez in January? I'm rubbing my hands at the thought of the cash already.

That depends if you can get your head around what pace and movement brings to a team, something that Milner had neither of.

Are still talking about how Geremi's better than Milner here?

I'm talking about how stats are not everything when it comes to football, however Milner offered little more than Geremi over 90 minutes in terms of play to make up for the difference in stats, compare that to someone like Jonas who stats are not the best but he will offer far more to the team in terms of pace, movement, ability to stretch the game and making space for others that you would pick him time after time over someone like Geremi.

I'm talking about how stats are not everything when it comes to football

That was kind of the point of my post.

however Milner offered little more than Geremi over 90 minutes in terms of play to make up for the difference in stats,

Bollocks.

I'd call £8 million a decent profit on Milner, £12 million is a lot more than decent.

£8m is probably what we got after Leeds took their sell on fee, but £10-12m + increasing his wages is what Everton & Villa were willing to pay.

How much do you reckon we can get for Gutiérrez in January? I'm rubbing my hands at the thought of the cash already.

We could possibly get £12-£15m which would be a big profit. Obviously that would be scandalous so it's best we release him from his contract to return to Spain. We don't want players that could in future be sold for a profit here thanks very much.  :dave:

however Milner offered little more than Geremi over 90 minutes in terms of play to make up for the difference in stats,

Bollocks.

What did he offer then? Because he wasn't quick, his crossing was awful, he slowed play down by having to do stepovers and beat the same man a few times, he didn't have any sort of idea about finding space in the box, average movement off the ball, no decent range of passing or anything like that.

All he had over Geremi was that he worked harder closing down when we defended, is that enough to make up for the lack of end product compared to Geremi? Is it shite.

He really does have the potential to be an outstanding player for us, this guy. The Man Utd game was one of the most impressive debuts i've ever seen from a new player for us, and it's one of the things that has hurt the most about the whole last month or so. We've arguably got some fucking qualtiy players in this transfer window in Jonas, Gonzalez, Xisco and Coloccini - and they've all come from good, stable football clubs in La Liga, new to the country - new to the environment. What the fuck must they have been thinking while this has all been going on? I'm begging for stability just so we can help settle these potential awesome signings.

Jonas though; fucking class above. Can't wait to see him in action again. :thup:

Bollocks.

What did he offer then? Because he wasn't quick, his crossing was awful, he slowed play down by having to do stepovers and beat the same man a few times, he didn't have any sort of idea about finding space in the box, average movement off the ball, no decent range of passing or anything like that.

All he had over Geremi was that he worked harder closing down when we defended, is that enough to make up for the lack of end product compared to Geremi? Is it s****.

you forgot two other things, his woeful corners and his lack of assists (Geremi's corners are also woeful but he did have the highest number of assists last season in the team).

Bollocks.

All he had over Geremi was that he worked harder closing down when we defended, is that enough to make up for the lack of end product compared to Geremi? Is it s****.

you forgot two other things, his woeful corners and his lack of assists (Geremi's corners are also woeful but he did have the highest number of assists last season in the team).

Baggy lad™ has made it clear about his views on stats "stats are not everything when it comes to football". Apart from the goal ones obviously.

What toptoon has said is only as stupid as those suggesting we improved last season because Milner wasn't in the team.

Toptoon is going off a run of 3-4 games.

The run we had without Milner last season where we picked up considerably was over about 8-9 games.

Nowhere near the same comparison.

Its still imo a stupid suggestion.

What toptoon has said is only as stupid as those suggesting we improved last season because Milner wasn't in the team.

Toptoon is going off a run of 3-4 games.

The run we had without Milner last season where we picked up considerably was over about 8-9 games.

Nowhere near the same comparison.

Its still imo a stupid suggestion.

At the moment Milner has become a better player because Ashley's Evil Empire conspired to sell him against Kev's wishes even if he valued him only at £7m.

For that decision to be proven wrong, Milner will have to get in the Aston Villa 1st team and produce the goods on a consistent basis. Let's face it, he won't ever have a better place to do it with Villa having a strong aerial threat up front where accuracy of crossing won't be as important as it would be with Owen.

Kinnear: "We are boosted by the return of Spiderman from his shoulder injury,"

"I will assess him over the next 24 hours as to whether he starts from the bench or not.

"I love the look of him in training and look forward to seeing him in action."