West Ham United 3 - 1 Newcastle - 20/09/08 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

Hughton should have started with Geremi and Bassong as fullbacks with N'Zogbia and Duff on the wings, Nacho in midfield to replace Cacapa.

Not sure what he's thinking with this line up.

I would of went with that, any formation that doesn't have Edgar & Cacapa in has to be an improvement

Hughton should have started with Geremi and Bassong as fullbacks with N'Zogbia and Duff on the wings, Nacho in midfield to replace Cacapa.

That was my line up in the pre-match thread. Hughton has cost us 6 points with his diabolical selections IMO.

Was the summer Keegans first transfer window? I know he came back in January, but he didn't get the full window. Did we make any signings during that transfer window? Wise was appointed late in the season iirc as well.

He brought in Diatta.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Anyone else just got a great feeling of apathy to what's happening at the minute? I'm seriously losing the will.

I've been known to swear, hoy the remote control and punch various objects when we concede but I find myself not even bothered - a new feeling that tells me I'm on the verge of having had enough.

Couldn't agree more. On top of the entire debacle of Keegans demise, what's the point really when it's already abundantly clear we'll finish between 9th-15th and go nowhere in the cups? Its been clear since September 1.  And I don't think it will feel any better if some zillionaire buys the club and gets in 15 'galacticos'...

If you won't support the club without us winning a trophy, then you may as well fuck off now.

No matter what happened I find it so hard to accept that Keegan was happy to let this happen.

He knew the players would crumble like this surely.

How could someone who loves the club allow this? Surely he could have waited till the summer having started the season? Or he should have just left earlier in the summer.

This is heartbraking. So so disgusted and dissapointed.

Think I'll just ignore everything Newcastle till we have a new owner and/or manager. We are in big trouble here guys.

still blaming keegan  :lol: :weep:

this state of limbo will continue until the club has been sold, sadly. ashley needs to hurry the f*** up.

I'm past the blame games. I just wonder why Keegan would leave at such an awkward time. If things were so bad he should have left ages ago. His timing has screwed us over very very very badly.

I'm not even sure Ashley is in a hurry to sell the club tbh. I'm a bit worried about it, as he is only going to be looking out for his own interests. Getting the club relegated won't be in his best interests but what is to stop him waiting until at least January to get what he wants?

We could be in this state for a long while yet, which is just so demoralising.

well there you go, some people say he shouldve left earlier, some people say he shouldve stayed longer (gallowgate toon). with the people who were supposed to be helping him ridiculing him with 'madness of king kev' jokes behind his back, and undermining him on transfers, i'd say he did well to last as long as he did.

agree about the rest though. if ashley is not going to sell up soon (ie in the next few weeks) then he should appoint an interim manager with a bit of nous and authority like Venables. Hughton's lineups, tactics and, seemingly, motivation of his players have been horrible so far, was anyone happy with the first XI today? not particularly his fault tho as he's not a manager just a shitty situation to be in.

A better team could have been picked today, along with more organisation and motivation with respect to the team out on the pitch. Instead, the current situation has ensured that we have a shit team picked by someone not up to the job, a cobbled together group of players with no organisation in terms of the way they are working, and clearly no motivation from the players.

But let's ignore the fact that Hughton is shit and not up to the job and blame the chairman for everything, even though its our fault that he's not appointed a competent manager because we've effectively forced him out as we intended.

Guest johnson293

Was the summer Keegans first transfer window? I know he came back in January, but he didn't get the full window. Did we make any signings during that transfer window? Wise was appointed late in the season iirc as well.

Keegan came back on 16th January, so had a fortnight left of that window. He tried to sign Woodgate.

Wise, Jiminez and Vetere were all appointed around the time of the Arsenal away league match on Tue 29th January (remember photos appeared showing all three with Mort).

Guest guinness_fiend

What a load of s****. What has Keegan done wrong exactly? He felt he couldn't work in the circumstances, he is right to walk.

ffs he can sound out the problem earlier, he can held a last minute meeting with Ashley before walking out without notice, he can try the new squad before doing anything....THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS HE CAN DO OTHER THAN JUST WALK OUT IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE TRANSFER WINDOW AND CLAIM THIS IS "FOR THE LOVE OF THE FANS" WTF IS THIS LOGIC!?

How do you know that none of those things happened?

Keegan walked out after the transfer window shut.  That much is a fact, unfortunately.  As such, no-one else was given the opportunity to try and bring anyone else in.  That is also a fact.

I would have supported Keegan staying at the club until Christmas, whilst a new manager is sorted out, with a view to steadying the ship.  Ultimately, I am sure that he loves club but has really dropped us in the mire by walking when he did. 

For the record, I believe that ALL of the parties are to blame for what happened.  Keegan had a full transfer window to discuss his issues with Ashley and attempt to resolve them.  There is no evidence to indicate that this happened though.  Likewise, Ashley and his team had a full summer to consult Keegan on the new transfer policy.  There is no evidence to indicate that this happened either.

I think that all of the parties involved had and continue to have the best interests of the club at heart, although their respective actions were/are fundamentally flawed and, once again, it is the fans who are suffering.

As for the person who commented (and I paraphrase) "what is £150m to Ashley?" it is quite a lot actually.  Furthermore, there is no concrete evidence that Ashley has asked for £480m for the club.  If he has, he is welcome to do so.  I would suggest that he would accept anything around £350m, given the current economic climate, but he is hardly going to ask for it outright, is he?  Normal bartering rules apply, with a figure in the middle of the "asking price" and "boilerplate price" being the ultimate "for sale" figure.

We have to keep in mind that club owners do not normally have to pimp out their club - most takeovers happen by a random billionaire making an offer that the current owner cannot refuse. 

What an absolute mess.  In any case, we can pull this back with a bit of effort.  We need one flukey goal and the game could turn in our favour.

Come on lads!

I love the irony of Hughton getting stick for a poor performance, when he didn't compile the squad of players he's working with*. What would be the difference if Keegan was still here?

*Hilariously he probably had some input, of course.

Anyone else just got a great feeling of apathy to what's happening at the minute? I'm seriously losing the will.

I've been known to swear, hoy the remote control and punch various objects when we concede but I find myself not even bothered - a new feeling that tells me I'm on the verge of having had enough.

Couldn't agree more. On top of the entire debacle of Keegans demise, what's the point really when it's already abundantly clear we'll finish between 9th-15th and go nowhere in the cups? Its been clear since September 1.  And I don't think it will feel any better if some zillionaire buys the club and gets in 15 'galacticos'...

I'd rather we got someline like Martinez in and tried to rebuild the club whilst retaining a semblance of relevance to the city in which we are based and our fans.

Others feel differently, but to me a team bought by a zillionaire and filled from 1 - 11 with £20m players would not be Newcastle United.

Man City fans will find this out, the football may be good but they will lose the affintiy between players and fans.

Oh and Wise out!

How do you know that none of those things happened?

Hindu, try to imagine you are Keegan, IF YOU REALLY CARE FOR THIS CLUB, would you do the same thing as Keegan?

I am pretty sure you can have lots of better ways to do so, e.g. you either resign earlier in June, or you can keep trying till, say, November, and notifying Ashley to find a replacement in the time being.

Just think, we have no manager, no owner, probably no potential buyer, a club holding out for sale, ffs just like a dead body in EPL.

KK isn't an idiot. HE DEFINITELY KNOW WE WILL BE IN A DISASTER, AND ASHLEY MUST BE FORCED TO SELL LIKE NOW DUE TO FANS ANGER.

I don't wanna start any campaign to kick KK's ass but to call him "toon legend" now...sorry, I couldn't accept that.

FFS....blaming Hughton.  On the list of people responsible for this f***ing mess he ranks behind Ashley, behind Keegan, and behind the underachieving, gutless shits that have been in the team for the last two matches. 

I agree he can take no blame in what has created the mess, but he can take the blame for team selection against Hull and West Ham, both games he got it so wrong. Todays selection is made more pathetic because of how we ended the game vs Hull after he made the changes, that should have showed him Bassong was best choice for LB and that Nacho can play a bit of football and is a natural CM where as Cacapa is a CB..