Joe Kinnear to be made permanent - what would it take?

Guest LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest helios_centric

If the club is sold and it is still a very large 'if' then the only course of action open to the new owners would be to spend in January to improve our prospects and there is no way that Kinnear would be around when millions were being spent.

If he does well (I can't see this happening - morale is too low and squad is too poor and riddled with injury) then he might be kept on as long as it takes the new owners to negotiate a deal for the new manager to come in.

So what would it take for him to be made permanent? New owners who would trust him with their hundreds of millions of pounds worth of investment and I find that impossible to contemplate - regardless of whether results go his way or not. If we are not sold next month then he'll be here on a rolling contract I expect.

Guest LucaAltieri

Joe Kinnear - Joking here :p

Probably been said somewhere else but who cares  :rolleyes:

Only a couple of hundred times - and a couple of thousand times during the 90s. Once more can't hurt.

Guest Stephen927

Even if a takeover was completed next week and he won all of his games until his contract ran out, it would have to be a handshake and best wishes for the future for him. He simply can't be here if there is big money to be spent, as we'll have a Roeder situation on our hands where a lot of players won't be enthralled signing for someone they might not necessarily know of.

The way he's approached the job, through interviews etc suggests heavily to me that he has accepted that this might be his last job in the top flight, and he simply just wants to make the most of it. I doubt it's even crossed his mind as a serious thought that he might be offered the job permanently.

Winning all games with 8 goals and the players coming out and saying how they love him and he's a sensational manager. Then whoever takes us over gives him a load of cash in January, and he buys loads of awsome players.

Joe Kinnear:

"alreet boys, i have a plan......"

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LucaAltieri

2/6 so far. We probably have justification to be upset that it isn't 6/6... even so, with a couple of easier games coming up we can realisitically expect to have 8/12. Isn't looking too bad so far. His half-time team talks must be fucking class, too. Don't think we've had a bad second half since he turned up.

In a word: No.

Hes installed some grit and fight into us recently, which is great to see but I just wouldnt have the confidence in him to take it on fulltime. I wouldnt trust his skills in the market or just long term stability. As a caretaker manager though hes great. Hes just not the guy that can really take us to the next level and challenge for honors or the top 4. I know we wont get that overnight but he just aint the guy for me.

Although, if he beats the mackems on saturday i might change my mind... :laugh:

It would be farcical if this happened. Fair play to the siege mentality he's tried to install and everything, but no thanks. Also the lump it long tactics in the 2nd half this evening annoyed me to say the least.

Why not? I ask this question not because I'm a Kinnear fan, but more for the sake of debate.

Ask why you don't want Kinnear installed, because he's not a big enough name? He isn't good enough? He's been out of the game for too long? He's only a caretaker? He's a joke? He doesn't push your eruption button? Well, you get the picture.

Now it's impossible to tell how well Kinnear is going to do, but I think people should at least consider the case for Kinnear. He's been brought out of the cold to go about attempting a job no body else had the bollocks to do. The bloke has nothing to lose. He isn't a big name, his reputation is lesser known that most, and he's desperate to show the footballing world what he's made of. The bloke will graft, he's hungry, every fucker has written him off before he's even started and he's determined to prove them all wrong. That's a fantastic attitude to have in my opinion. Just look at Ramos at Spurs. His children are homesick and he looks like a man who's more interested in packing his bags than sticking around for the long haul, and how many of you would have welcomed him with open arms this time last year? Now I know that's hindsight-tastic but the point is a manager shouldn't be judged by his reputation alone. If Kinnear is hungry enough to start getting results why should we deny him the opportunity of a full time job because we don't like the sound of his name?

This determined attitude seems to be rubbing off on the players. It's along time since I've seen a Newcastle side go out with such a good spirit for two games on the spin. Don't get me wrong there's a lot to work on but in these troubled times it's nice to see qualities we haven't seen of our teams in the past. A bit of fight and grit, as well as the odd bit of quality. If Kinnear can get the team to play and continue to install this never say die attitude he may be on to a winner.

Of Course we've seen this before with Glenn Roeder. However I think the major difference between the two is Kinnear isn't afraid to upset people. Roeder wanted to be everyone's friend, you can't imagine him giving a player a good rollicking after a poor performance. Kinnear (as we've seen) isn't afraid to speak his mind, he tells it like it is. If you listen to his press conferences he talks absolute sense. He's an old fashioned manager who's been around the block, he won't take shit from the modern day footballer or from the blood-craving media.any

Now if the man doesn't get the results then so be it, but if was to go on a half-decent run why not? We've had our the big names, the samller name, the utter dross and of course Kevin Keegan (again) so why not give someone different a chance? Surely it would be a small minded fan who wouldn't even spare the man a  modicum of consideration.

Why not? I ask this question not because I'm a Kinnear fan, but more for the sake of debate.

Ask why you don't want Kinnear installed, because he's not a big enough name? He isn't good enough? He's been out of the game for too long? He's only a caretaker? He's a joke? He doesn't push your eruption button? Well, you get the picture.

Now it's impossible to tell how well Kinnear is going to do, but I think people should at least consider the case for Kinnear. He's been brought out of the cold to go about attempting a job no body else had the bollocks to do. The bloke has nothing to lose. He isn't a big name, his reputation is lesser known that most, and he's desperate to show the footballing world what he's made of. The bloke will graft, he's hungry, every fucker has written him off before he's even started and he's determined to prove them all wrong. That's a fantastic attitude to have in my opinion. Just look at Ramos at Spurs. His children are homesick and he looks like a man who's more interested in packing his bags than sticking around for the long haul, and how many of you would have welcomed him with open arms this time last year? Now I know that's hindsight-tastic but the point is a manager shouldn't be judged by his reputation alone. If Kinnear is hungry enough to start getting results why should we deny him the opportunity of a full time job because we don't like the sound of his name?

This determined attitude seems to be rubbing off on the players. It's along time since I've seen a Newcastle side go out with such a good spirit for two games on the spin. Don't get me wrong there's a lot to work on but in these troubled times it's nice to see qualities we haven't seen of our teams in the past. A bit of fight and grit, as well as the odd bit of quality. If Kinnear can get the team to play and continue to install this never say die attitude he may be on to a winner.

Of Course we've seen this before with Glenn Roeder. However I think the major difference between the two is Kinnear isn't afraid to upset people. Roeder wanted to be everyone's friend, you can't imagine him giving a player a good rollicking after a poor performance. Kinnear (as we've seen) isn't afraid to speak his mind, he tells it like it is. If you listen to his press conferences he talks absolute sense. He's an old fashioned manager who's been around the block, he won't take shit from the modern day footballer or from the blood-craving media.any

Now if the man doesn't get the results then so be it, but if was to go on a half-decent run why not? We've had our the big names, the samller name, the utter dross and of course Kevin Keegan (again) so why not give someone different a chance? Surely it would be a small minded fan who wouldn't even spare the man a  modicum of consideration.

The end of last season springs to mind.

Good post though btw.