Michael Owen

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest shearer_united

His biggest problem, and everyone knows that, is he is made of glass. Way too injury prone, especially in the last few years.

His biggest problem, and everyone knows that, is he is made of glass. Way too injury prone, especially in the last few years.

His biggest problem is that his heart is made of glass and is the size of a pea.

Obviously with hindsight we can see it was rubbish, but I was more optimistic after that transfer window than I had been in a long time.

I think he has scored enough goals to keep us in the Premiership to justify his signing, although like yourself I was full of hope after the signing of Owen. Any media bods reading this please don't get hope mixed up with expectation.

I was talking about the other Souness signings tbh. ;)

Still think Owen is class. And he's only missed a handful of matches in 2008.

Cabt see where he`ll go tbh.

Liverpool - torres, keane,

Man Ure - Rooney, Berbatov

Arsenal - Adabyor, Van persie

Chelsea - Anelka, Drogba

Man City? Robhin and every other player linked in the world.

So where exactly is an ageing, glass, high earning Mikey going top go? He is going to stay here and extort a massive final pay deal for himself me thinks. Dont get me wrong a fit michael owen is world class, but he is never going to be a fit michael owen, never in his career to date and age is now a factor.

Cabt see where he`ll go tbh.

Liverpool - torres, keane,

Man Ure - Rooney, Berbatov

Arsenal - Adabyor, Van persie

Chelsea - Anelka, Drogba

Man City? Robhin and every other player linked in the world.

So where exactly is an ageing, glass, high earning Mikey going top go? He is going to stay here and extort a massive final pay deal for himself me thinks. Dont get me wrong a fit michael owen is world class, but he is never going to be a fit michael owen, never in his career to date and age is now a factor.

Can see him going to Villa.

In the right team Michael Owen is a major asset. There's no doubt he'll find a good team after us.

And who can blame him? Kinnear is what, the fifth manager he's had whilst here? It's ridiculous has easy it's been for Bobby Robsons' team to crumble.

Guest sittingontheball

He's on ridiculous money and it does hurt, but I think he's a proven class player and that we'll really miss him.

I wouldn't be surprised if a top four club got him for free on lower pay and played him in that deeper role KK gave him.

Owen for free is a better signing than 30M for Tevez. Or 20M for Keane which I said before the season started. On 2008 form, Owen is neither a crock nor finished. Depending on the Eduardo situation, he would be a good signing for Arsenal even. RVP is pretty brittle.

I think FFS made many mistakes, but signing Owen was not a major one. The injuries he suffered before we lost control of his contract situation simply had that "typical Toon" tragic ring about them. Yes he didn't want to come, but that one is a Pandora's box best left closed for our entire squad. The most valid criticism you can make is that it was too many eggs in one basket.

Looking forward to the day he fucks off at this point tbh.

So we can be much more fucked than we currently are?

Unless we get a big pile of money and buy in 4 or 5 top class players then there's very little point having Owen at the club. I'd have him if I were one of the !~BIG 4~!, useful impact sub to have if you really need a goal. No doubt about that.

But for us he has to start and without the quality service he needs he's pretty much a hindrance to have on the field.

Let him off and get in someone else who'll contribute more to our all-round game.

The fact that he's made of biscuits doesn't help, either.

Unless we get a big pile of money and buy in 4 or 5 top class players then there's very little point having Owen at the club. I'd have him if I were one of the !~BIG 4~!, useful impact sub to have if you really need a goal. No doubt about that.

But for us he has to start and without the quality service he needs he's pretty much a hindrance to have on the field.

Let him off and get in someone else who'll contribute more to our all-round game.

Pretty much sums up my view as well. All this "he's going to leave and who can blame him?" weeping on his behalf doesn't half wind me up.

If he wants to be somewhere else it's best that he goes. We are not able to provide a team worthy of him so why lament an unhappy player? It won't be easy to replace him but maybe there are other Amr Zakis out there who can tear the opposition a new arsehole with their running and power? Maybe there are other Santa Cruz's just waiting to be discovered and will feel pride to wear the Newcastle shirt rather than walk around with a face like a smacked arse?

I totally disagree with that perception of him, tbh. I think he's looked a really complete player since the back end of last season when Keegan found a role for him that works. As an out and out striker, aye, he's not as useful as he was as he doesn't have the pace anymore. Playing off one striker, or two for that matter, and he's a competely differnet player. Excellent distribution, excellent movement and pretty creative on the whole imo. He's absolutely fantastic on the ball, in and around the box.

As i've mentioned before, it's one of the most excruciating things about our situation. Owen's finally returned (as close as he's ever been) to his best, and we're absolutely fucked. He's off, no doubt about that. Such a shame; such a massive waste altogether really.

He's far too good a player for the Toon anyway. It might have been different if he wasn't surrounded by so many  players who are well below his standard.

Are you trying to tell us that a lack of quality players around Owen caused him to get so many injuries? :lol: :doh:

Looking forward to the day he f***s off at this point tbh.

So we can be much more f***ed than we currently are?

I totally disagree with that perception of him, tbh. I think he's looked a really complete player since the back end of last season when Keegan found a role for him that works. As an out and out striker, aye, he's not as useful as he was as he doesn't have the pace anymore. Playing off one striker, or two for that matter, and he's a competely differnet player. Excellent distribution, excellent movement and pretty creative on the whole imo. He's absolutely fantastic on the ball, in and around the box.

As i've mentioned before, it's one of the most excruciating things about our situation. Owen's finally returned (as close as he's ever been) to his best, and we're absolutely f***ed. He's off, no doubt about that. Such a shame; such a massive waste altogether really.

I agree with this.  And I think if Keegan was still here and the club hadn't messed about with his contract, that he might well have been happy to sign.

However, I think he is in a difficult situation now.  To get back into the England reckoning, he is going to need to play regular football - will he get that with a top 4 club - highly unlikely.  Arsenal could probably do with a finisher like him but I don't see him fitting in there.

Everton are rumoured to have been interested but could they afford him unless they are taken over and so far they are struggling this season although I am sure they will improve?  Aston Villa would seem to be an attractive option and I think they could afford him but would they want to pay those kind of wages.  City can afford him but it depends on how Hughes wants to develop them as they could attract better players.  Spurs might be interested but that move would make no sense as they are in as bad a state as us at the moment.

If we get taken over, get a good manager in and have money to spend in January and look like we are on the up again, then maybe we might seem an attractive option again as I do think he is fairly settled here and seemed to be enjoying his football again.

I just think his options are limited at present and if he moves, he will have to make some sort of concesssion - whether that is financial or playing time remains to be seen.

He's far too good a player for the Toon anyway. It might have been different if he wasn't surrounded by so many  players who are well below his standard.

nonsense, in 15 years of going to the game I could name 20 players with more ability and effectiveness than Owen

Nailed on for Tottenham, shirley.

Because he wants to be even lower in the league?

A team desperate to pay through the nose for a top striker however crocked, and his big chance to form a future international pairing with Bent for years to come. Tottenham's the dream move! :laugh:

Guest optimistic nit

Nailed on for Tottenham, shirley.

why would he go to spurs? they are possibly worse off than we are, why would he go there to be paid less money, considering they surely wont match our wages.

nonsense, in 15 years of going to the game I could name 20 players with more ability and effectiveness than Owen

In an attacking sense? I'd quite like to hear that list...

Not forgetting that for us, Owen's goalscoring record is better than 1 in 2. We're not counting injuries here, we're talking effectiveness on the pitch. I'd definitely say he's one of the most gifted footballers we've had play for us in the Premiership, easily. Regardless of his injury troubles.

Maybe there are more luques,marics,anderssons,cordones as well to name but a few.

I'm sure there are. Let's give all these unmotivated high earners an offer they would love to refuse if it weren't for the money!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/24/genoa-make-move-to-sign-newcastle-striker-michael-owen-115875-20834068/

Michael Owen is a target for Serie A club Genoa as the Italians become the latest club to try and cash in on the boardroom turmoil at St James' Park.

Owen, 28, has yet to open contract negotiations with the Geordies as Mike Ashley looks to sell up and with Joe Kinnear in charge on a temporary basis.

That has stalled any attempts to land Owen on a new deal, when his current contract runs out in June. He would be paired with Genoa's star striker Diego Milito.

:idiot2: