Newcastle United 2 - 0 Aston Villa - 03/11/08 - Post match joy from page 18

Decky

I'm pretty sure that Obafemi Martins, not Sibierski, was our main goal threat. He also spent 1/3 of the budget on a left winger we didn't need. And he's a lying, self-serving, hypocritical tosser.

Villa suffering from a congested season kind of reignites my dormant sympathies for Glen Roeder.

He had an immensely congested schedule, with a weak squad to begin with (Bramble first choice CB, Sibierski our main goal threat, only two recognized fullbacks at the club and they were Babayaro and Carr), and a simply f***ed up amount of injuries. In some sense it's an achievement that he kept us up that year.

He wasn't cut out for the job, but I find it difficult to hate the bloke. If AZ away didn't happen (or if Dyer/Bramble didn't lead the resulting player revolt,) he might still be here leading us to consistent mid-table mediocrity (which doesn't sound so bad considering where we are now.)

Agreed

Never hate the Man

What attributes does Milner have to be a central-midfielder out of interest?

He is an intelligent and powerful runner with the ball. The reason he got into a pickle on the wing is that his crossing and acceleration are poor. Always needed 13425 stepovers, and to beat his man 16 times just to make sure he gets enough space to put the best cross in that he can muster.

He can also spot a very good pass, and is technically gifted (can do a good trick or two). Good shot from range, and can tackle and work extremely hard.

Look, i'm by no means saying he's the finished article in the center. But his attributes are definitely not of a winger's. His managers should have focused on developing him into a central midfielder. He does a very good job of it for the U-21's. Never a winger in a million years.

all in my opinion of course