Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

I don't disagree with the week-in, week-out bit - Enrique definitely needs to show more consistency if anything. I'm glad Kinnear's giving him a decent crack of the whip, in spite of his ridiculous earlier comments about him.

Enrique has got all the tools but he needs a bit of coaching on the offensive side of his game, which Kinnear seems to be doing. Not sure he thinks he is the answer but if he can get someone in better fair play to him.

I'm usually one to facepalm at those who suggest trying players out of position (Milner in the centre, Beye in the centre, Jonas in the centre, Zoggy at left-back, etc)... but does anyone who watches every game think that Enrique might be worth a shot at centre-back? How is he in the air? I reckon he's got some of the ingredients to be a competent centre-half tbh.

Not advocating switching him around right now, obviously, but for future reference maybe.

Guest Heneage

Did Lennon set up any goals yesterday? No. Did he score yesterday? No. In my humble opinion based on those simple facts Jose Enrique did his job with a yellow on his mind, well done and keep it up.

Did Lennon set up any goals yesterday? No. Did he score yesterday? No. In my humble opinion based on those simple facts Jose Enrique did his job with a yellow on his mind, well done and keep it up.

Bit harsh on Lennon considering his team didn't play yesterday.

Couldn't resist  :angel:

Considering Enrique had to spend the majority of the match with a dodgy yellow card hanging over him and had to be careful, he done very well.

Its so easy to get booked when playing against a tricky player with pace.

Exactly. Let's not forget how small and lightweight Lennon is - a very foul-able player.

Guest Howaythetoon

Enrique looks slow and plays at a slow tempo, yet in the first half he sped past Lennon and another player using pace and strength like they just weren't there, he needs to do that more often. He also needs to think more when making a longer pass or one in the air as he usually floats in the same old straight ball or a clipped one that requires precise curved running from the forwards which ain't going to happen with Martins up front or Viduka and although Owen does make splendid runs his tends to come from a central position rather than the outside flank where Enrique plays. If Enrique can do that he would become more than a decent player. I do like his character, he's an honest player and obviously a confidence player as his head goes down for a moment when he's made a mistake or misplaced a pass.

Reading through the player ratings on the Spurs board, their fans were as split on Lennon's performance as ours are on Enrique.  Some were saying that apart from a couple of runs, Enrique had the measure of him and the others saying Lennon was great and Jose was rubbish.

Reading through the player ratings on the Spurs board, their fans were as split on Lennon's performance as ours are on Enrique.  Some were saying that apart from a couple of runs, Enrique had the measure of him and the others saying Lennon was great and Jose was rubbish.

It depends on whether you think Enrique should allow Lennon to run to the baseline.  Enrique has given Lennon freedom to run to the baseline in exchange for any possibility of Lennon to cut inside.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sicko2ndbest

Didnt go to the match but watching ffirst. Enrique does not get out paced, he does not get out-muscled, he is a solid left back, young and onlygoing to improve. I think he has all the attributes to be a top class left back

Love him as a player, can't believe the fans gave him an 'ironic' cheer today. Do that for Butt then you fickle morons! Shame Enrique still can't shake that 10 passes to the opposition every game or else he'd be in danger of becoming a class player.

Didnt go to the match but watching ffirst. Enrique does not get out paced, he does not get out-muscled, he is a solid left back, young and onlygoing to improve. I think he has all the attributes to be a top class left back

Distribution is a massive part of being a good full back though & his is absolutely shocking.

I agree but his passing is very very inconsistent at the moment. I'm not sure why, maybe it's confidence because generally, last season, his passing wasn't as erratic and volatile as it has been this season.

In the short-term, he can be a liability. But, he's still young and it's his first full season in the Premiership so I believe he will get better in time and if confidence is shown in him now, it will be rewarded.

First half he was our best player but reverted to type in the second half, giving it away far too easily. Frustrating again because he defended impeccably. His outpacing of Bellamy over 30 yards should have put paid to the myth that he's slow though.

I agree but his passing is very very inconsistent at the moment. I'm not sure why, maybe it's confidence because generally, last season, his passing wasn't as erratic and volatile as it has been this season.

In the short-term, he can be a liability. But, he's still young and it's his first full season in the Premiership so I believe he will get better in time and if confidence is shown in him now, it will be rewarded.

Erratic is the right word, he certainly can pass and even cross the ball well when he wants to, but much like butt has complete shockers and they are always the simple passes.

Its a big worry because it happens too much in our team and it is costing us, if we are not punished we usually end up giving away a free kick trying to win it back.

That said I completely agree with Sicko, Enrique does not get out paced, he does not get out-muscled, he is a solid left back, young and only going to improve, he has all the attributes to be a top class left back but does need competition and a bit of sheltering imo. There is much he needs to improve on but its worth giving him the time.

First half he was our best player but reverted to type in the second half, giving it away far too easily. Frustrating again because he defended impeccably. His outpacing of Bellamy over 30 yards should have put paid to the myth that he's slow though.

I was on the edge of my seat, it was like he won the bloody grand national. I was impressed.

I think getting rid of a left back whose only real flaw is that his passing is poor would be suicidal. That can be improved.

Indeed. He's only 22, still presumably learning English and settling into the Northeast and has been playing in a pretty much dysfunctional and unsettled team for most of his time here. He doesn't accelerate like Evra but at full speed, he's caught up with Defoe, Bellamy, Lennon and other pacy players in the league so he's got all the attributes to be one of the best lbs in the league. Just needs good coaching and confidence. Defensively, he's impeccable. He's got good instincts, stays on the right side of the attackers and doesn't have the lapses of concentration that's plagued our other promising defenders (Bramble and Taylor come to mind).

You would have thought that having former full-backs as Manager & Assistant Manager, they'd find it a challenge and be willing to stick with him and iron out the flaws, but Kinnear seems to me like he'd sooner get rid. I guess from his point of view you can understand, in that he's fighting to keep us in the division with only one left-back, who's very raw and can sometimes put us under pressure with his poor distribution out of defence. But still, I'd give him a go.

His longer passes round the corner of defenders into corners for our strikers are generally quite good, its usually the little 5 yard ball inside or ball wide which goes astray. I think given time Enrique can be an excellent left back as he never gets outpaced or shrugged off the ball by anyone