Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

You can't have a full back who regularly gives the ball away to the opposition near the half way line with most of the team upfield. Total liability. If you're going to hack it forward, at least clear the first man, but he doesn't always manage to do that.

You can't have a full back who regularly gives the ball away to the opposition near the half way line with most of the team upfield. Total liability. If you're going to hack it forward, at least clear the first man, but he doesn't always manage to do that.

Full backs with midfielders making themselves available to pass to don't usually make that mistake.

I feel for the lad.It doesnt help when your manager tells the press he wants him sold.I think hes being nothing but professional since he came here,its a shame the same cant be said for alot of other players.Hes main flaw is his short passing which can be coached and maybe alot of the time due to our shit midfielders not showing for the ball

Full backs with midfielders making themselves available to pass to don't usually make that mistake.

What guarantee is there that Enrique would find that available man?

He only seems to have one pass which is a swing of his left foot which curls the ball inside. Half the time it finds a black and white shirt, half the time it doesn't.

It wouldn't be so bad if he was solid defensively, but he often seems to get caught in the wrong position. I like his positive attitude (ie if he fucks up, he still makes himself available for the next ball), but if we're going to progress from our current position, we've got to look for someone better.

Real pity Enrique's never been allowed to simply get on with it in his time here. Since the moment he walked through the door, he's been the best left-back at the club and the uncertainty around him has arguably killed what could have been a really good career here. He'll no doubt be one of those players that disappears and will never be seen in the Premiership again, and it's a real shame.

It saddens me that we've got ourself into a position, where embarrassing knobs like Joe Kinnear are allowed to meddle with some of the genuine quality in our squad. A lot of the player/manager relationships this season have reaked of Souness + 'insert name'.

Bellamy, Robert, Bernard, Ambrose, even the likes of Jenas to be fair. These were our good players, and were proven to be good players long before that dick came in, and through pitiful man-management they ended up either in the doldrums or out the door. Meanwhile - as much as it pains me to say - old and experienced warhorses like Shearer, O'Brien, Butt were hogging the first team spots, and it wasn't fair. It's happening again this season, different circumstances obviously but the similarities are there - and i hate to see it.

Agree with wullie but I think part of his problem with the passing is just the lack of options and movement from midfield and strikers. Still think he is improving and worth keeping unless we can recoup big time.

correct about the movement ahead of him

Passing seems to be a big problem for the lad at times.  A few times yesterday he managed to do the hard part and robbed the opposition of the ball and then gave it away with an awful pass, even when an easy outlet was available.  He does need a more experienced head above him to 'show him the ropes', and selling him now would be a mistake as he does have the basic fundamentals for his position, and if Wayne Bridge really is worth £12m....... 

He has joined a club as the one player in his posiiton without any real guidance that a young player requires.

What guarantee is there that Enrique would find that available man?

He only seems to have one pass which is a swing of his left foot which curls the ball inside. Half the time it finds a black and white shirt, half the time it doesn't.

It wouldn't be so bad if he was solid defensively, but he often seems to get caught in the wrong position. I like his positive attitude (ie if he fucks up, he still makes himself available for the next ball), but if we're going to progress from our current position, we've got to look for someone better.

Someone just as good would do me. I'd far prefer to sign a central midfielder who can run.

I don't generally post on the forums; as i suppose i don't get to see the games live like you do, so i don't see everything off the ball.

I may also be in a slight sense of inebriation and also delirium by the time the game is on here in Sydney (at 2-3am sunday morning, sometimes later), but Jose Enrique doesn't seem as bad as you fellas make him out to be, in fact, with Beye he seems to be one of the most creative fullbacks we've had in a long while.  It isn't his fault that his team mates stand on the otherside of an opposition player and hope that he's able to kick it 3 metres to the left and have it curl back into them, so they don't have to use their legs and run into an open position.

He has vision, if i'm not mistaken he's put in a few assists this season, short balls also (although, correct me if i'm wrong), even yesterday - he showed me can pick the right ball, with good weight and distribution. i.e the pass to owen for the first goal, and later in the game, the ball to Jonas.

Give him a little time to develop, if he is sold i'll be gutted, and clearly, our club might actually be the joke that everyone i talk to seems to think we are.

Real pity Enrique's never been allowed to simply get on with it in his time here. Since the moment he walked through the door, he's been the best left-back at the club and the uncertainty around him has arguably killed what could have been a really good career here. He'll no doubt be one of those players that disappears and will never be seen in the Premiership again, and it's a real shame.

It saddens me that we've got ourself into a position, where embarrassing knobs like Joe Kinnear are allowed to meddle with some of the genuine quality in our squad. A lot of the player/manager relationships this season have reaked of Souness + 'insert name'.

Bellamy, Robert, Bernard, Ambrose, even the likes of Jenas to be fair. These were our good players, and were proven to be good players long before that dick came in, and through pitiful man-management they ended up either in the doldrums or out the door. Meanwhile - as much as it pains me to say - old and experienced warhorses like Shearer, O'Brien, Butt were hogging the first team spots, and it wasn't fair. It's happening again this season, different circumstances obviously but the similarities are there - and i hate to see it.

NUFC have made a specialiity of wrecking decent young prospects' careers over the years..you can look back through the club's history and there are stacks of them who either did better when they left or never fulfilled their potential.

The coaching(and Medical treatment) has been woeful over the years...even KK scrapped the Reserves/Juniors. Alan Thompson should have been a great LB, but left because he didn't rate KK's treatment of young players...Andy Hunt was another who had real skill, and blossomed when he went to Charlton...

Enrique IS a talented player and in a different regime would prove himself in time,but not, I suspect , at NUFC.

I just cant understand the logic with selling Enrique.

We have not had a competitive pair of fullbacks since keegans first stint, on either side.

So great we get Riise in and sell Enrique but we are in the same position as we are now except our new LB has no potential.

As much as both Carr and Babayaro took the piss and were terrible at the best of times for us, a major part of that was contributed to the fact they had each position in the bag so it mattered little whether they played or not they would always be in the starting line up. Whilst you can polish a turd we would have seen different players in Baba and the troll if they had people pushing them for theyre places.

When Enrique goes this window it will be another page in the Newcastle United book of ineptitude. Our club is pathetic and has been for years.

Guest battyleespeed

Have you ever thought that the public statements of selling Enrique are just a motivational technique? "swim or sink"

Jose really can play himself out of difficult situations with some very slick short passing moves (with Jonas especially) but when it comes to a simple forward pass it's just unbelievable!  :doh:

According to Yahoo stats...44 bad passes yesterday

Its ridiculous the amount of excuses that folk dream up to defend this lad. His passing yesterday was nothing short of abysmal.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Jose's problem is the ball inside

A lot of counter attacks are caused by full backs in general playing the ball inside to centre midfielders. Opponents know this and always anticipate it. If they anticipate they basically have a free run at the defence which creates a 3 v 3 situation with the anticipating CM and the two forwards against the two centre halfs and the remaining covering full back.

Because this is such a dangerous situation it highlights his poor passing even more.

With Jose i would go back to basics through a pattern of play scenario. I would tell Jose he has 3 options:

- If there is space to run into use it and at pace

- If there is nothing on, line or in behind, go back to the centre half and start again

- If under pressure go long and line and expect the forwards to make the run.

Going back inside simply isnt an option for a player who is short of confidence from a passing point of view. Moreover going inside is even less of an option when your centre midfielders are average at best

When we played Martins in that wide left forward role at the end of last season, Enriques distribution was excellent. He often played great balls down the line for Oba's run. If Zog wants off, we should really look to change back to that system. Doubt Kinnear has the balls or nous though.

Guest neesy111

apart from his passing, he had a solid game and has shown he is quite fast

u should remember it was his pass that set-up owen's goal and for jonas chance at the death, so it's not like all his passes we're bad

Jose really can play himself out of difficult situations with some very slick short passing moves (with Jonas especially) but when it comes to a simple forward pass it's just unbelievable!  :doh:

According to Yahoo stats...44 bad passes yesterday

He was also the player making by far the most passes, according to the same stats. This tells me he supports the other players far better than they support him.

He was shite again yesterday and is our weak link, his passing just puts us under pressure all the time, lackluster nothing balls that never rewach their target. So many times also he drifts in and disapears from the LB position and then when you need him to tuck in like yesterday for Bella's goal he was fkn nowhere.

Guest neesy111

He was shite again yesterday and is our weak link,

Yes he is, well apart from the stikers who cant hold up the ball, or the toothless midfield

like the fact our midfield is fucking shite and couldn't make a challenge, cross, take corners or get into the opposition box

I didn't think he was that bad really. He covered well, even matching Bellamy for pace when they could have countered. His passing does leave a lot to be desired, but then again it was his pass that led to a goal. To criticize him for the first goal is harsh, as the midfield should have put a challenge in on Parker before he reached the 18 yard line and then Collocini was forced onto his weaker left side allowing Bellamy to nip in and score. I would rather keep Enrique and give him a chance as he is only 21, whereas Riise has shown what he can do already, but perhaps is already past his peak and on the slide downwards.