Chelsea 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 22/11/08 - post match reaction from page 15

Dave

Fucking awesome. I'm proud :)

Colo and Bassong were our best players.

I have a couple of gripes with the substitutions and how we took off our two most offensive players which lead to a 15 minute spell in which we couldn't get out of our own half, but oh well, we did very well and credit to all the players and Kinnear. That point was definitely earned.

Didn't see the first half hour (couldn't bring myself to watch) but from what I saw (plus a couple of highlights at half time), the entire back five was outstanding. If they could do that every week we'd be laughing because we'll always score goals.

I think this performance shows how the weak link really is the midfield, which is what alot of us on here have been saying for a while now.

Our defence played brilliantly today with constant pressure. A midfield with some actual ball retention in it would ease so much pressure and help create more goals at the other end. I continue to be impressed with Coloccini & Bassong. Enrique didn't have a bad game at all either.

I would say the ENTIRE back 4 were magnificent! But the man who led the team today stood out by miles imo. Arise Sir Danny of Guthrieshire. For his age and relative inexperience, he did his and Butt's job heroically. Butt wasn't half bad either bar the usual hairy moments.

Defensively the other 4 were spot on, but attacking wise Jonas, Duff, Martins (Ameobi) and Owen were woeful. Ameobi actually caused their lot more problems than Martins and Owen did all night.

Proud of the lads. Bring on the filthy smogs

Guest firetotheworks

Bassong and Colo were mint. The entire defence was class actually. Special mentions to Given and Guthrie too. The entire team ran their arses off.

no doubt all attention will be on the offside decision

Cole was offside when Anelka shot. Linesman got it spot on. Given taking the ball over the line might be worth a watch if they can show whether it went in or not.

Fucking awesome. I'm proud :)

Colo and Bassong were our best players.

I have a couple of gripes with the substitutions and how we took off our two most offensive players which lead to a 15 minute spell in which we couldn't get out of our own half, but oh well, we did very well and credit to all the players and Kinnear. That point was definitely earned.

I'd have taken Owen off for N'Zogbia and pushed Jonas up top.

Fucking delighted. I love how SSN made out we 'parked the bus' like it was a bad thing for us to do against a quality side full of goals and confidence. Er, we're shit in case you didn't notice.

Sounds like a fantastic defensive performance.

Only caught the second half but we played the 8-1-1 formation and it worked a treat. Whole actual defence and Guthrie playing particularly well.

I thought Guthrie was our weakest player really, but he wasn't hopeless. Everyone put a really good shift in this afternoon, well for the second half anyhow (didn't catch the first).

Beye/Coloccini/Bassong/Enrique - fucking nails. Each one of those players is a very good player, i'll argue that till i'm blue in the face and i have done all season. Any other season, going all out for a 0-0 at Chelsea would have resulted in loss. And tbh, i had my head in my hands at around the hour mark - when it became clear that Kinnear had obviously employed that approach - but the quality of the players saved us again, really.

Criminal that we're down where we are with the squad that we have.

Given - 8 - some good saves

Beye - 8 - one or two ricks in the first half, got better as the game wore on

Coloccini - 8 - likewise

Bassong - 9 - A rock

Enrique - 7 - Looked unsteady early on, started to dominate later

Jonas - 7 - full of running as usual, one or two good moments, excellent defensively

DUff - 6 - offered little going forward, ran around a lot, gave Bosingwa too much space in first half which shouldve resulted in plenty of goals for them

Butt - 6.5 - two bad errors, okayish otherwise

Guthrie - 7.5 - very good on the ball, poor off the ball

Owen - 6 - worked harder than shola and martins combined. offered little in attack but did his job

Martins - 6 - some clumsy moments, some adventurous moments. tired in the 2nd

Cole was offside when Anelka shot. Linesman got it spot on. Given taking the ball over the line might be worth a watch if they can show whether it went in or not.

He was offside from the second shot, no debate about that. Straight out of the rule book that scenario, with accompanying pictures.

The ball didn't go all the way over the line from replays, which it has to for it to count. Two good decisions at the end of the day.

No it was the correct decision with Given he didn't take it over the line.