Kinnear sees big role for Smith in New Year

LoveItIfWeBeatU

With Smith, Butt and Duff regular fixtures in the side last season we were on our way down - that's not an exaggeration, that's what was going to happen. Fortunately we had a manager with the balls not only to drop them, but to enforce a cracking formation that ensured we were miles away from the drop. I doubt Kinnear has it and i can see Smith being in the side week-in, week-out tbh.

I am trying to forget just how s*** he is and get excited about him coming back and be amazing.

This. I hold the claim i have saw Smith score for NUFC , against Juve in a pre-season friendly. His debut, fine headed goal .

Luque & Carroll scored, who nearly got two until Buffon took him out big time.

It was against a lower league team the Smith goal I'm sure.

Alan Smith starts bid to rebuild NUFC career

Jan 20 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

ALAN SMITH will start to rebuild his shattered Newcastle United career in today’s behind-closed-doors friendly with Carlisle United.

The former Manchester United striker has been out since August when he suffered an Achilles injury during pre-season. He last made an appearance against Valencia in the 2-1 friendly win at St James’s Park.

Smith has not appeared for United in the first team this season.

The Chronicle revealed on January 11 that Smith was aiming to make his comeback to the first team for United in next Wednesday’s trip to Manchester City. Should he get through today’s match with Carlisle unscathed, he is likely to be available to Joe Kinnear on the bench at Eastlands.

Kinnear told the Chronicle today: “We hope to give Smithy some time on the pitch today.

“He’s been out of action for a long time and he is the only player who hasn’t been available to me.

“It’s good for him to get back out there and get some action.

“He’s been putting in a lot of hard work behind the scenes and been trying to get back to fitness.”

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/deadreflection/Mr-Bill---Ohh-Nooo-Magnet-C11751410.jpg?t=1232481582

I am trying to forget just how s*** he is and get excited about him coming back and be amazing.

This. I hold the claim i have saw Smith score for NUFC , against Juve in a pre-season friendly. His debut, fine headed goal .

Yeh sorry it was Sampdoria.  Still fine header .

The good news, i suppose, is that he looked class in pre-season.

Oh, that backheel against Mallorca. :lol:

Urgh.

Was that from the freekick where any other player on the planet would have shot? He backheeled it to no-one?

Urgh.

Was that from the freekick where any other player on the planet would have shot? He backheeled it to no-one?

That's the one. :lol:

Urgh.

Ferguson definitely made him scared shitless of putting a ball anywhere near the goal when he tried to convert him into a DM.

Yeh sorry it was Sampdoria.  Still fine header .

Jesus, just read up that match and totally forgot how he should have had 2 goals that day but the first was flagged offside wrongly.

He fell from grace after one fucking match. Unbelievable.

I'm pretty happy he's back and you all might disagree. But right now we're shit and he might actually come back from injury with a miracle. Who knows?

All we can do is either sell or support the lad, so lets stand by his side and give him a standing ovation next time he plays under us, imagine if he could get back to old form....

....yeah right, who am i kidding, hes awful!

We'll have to support him when he does come back....if he can  recapture old form,then he'll be good for us.

He has a LONG way to go back to become a decent player.

The only way Smith is recapturing old form is with a time machine.

More likelihood of Shearer coming out of retirement and banging in 30 goals.

I agree Smiths a shithouse,but he cant be any worse than Butt has been lately.....can he?

Urgh.

Ferguson definitely made him scared shitless of putting a ball anywhere near the goal when he tried to convert him into a DM.

That's the only role he could possibly fill as Fergie recognised years ago.