Kinnear sees big role for Smith in New Year

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Kinnear may be trying to build up Smith for a sale, you never know. i doubt it's that important to improve his confidence that much as he's still a month and a half from making an appearance. but i'll judge by actions not words so until he starts playing smith he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Yakubu out for the season and Saha limping off with a hamstring injury. Smith to the rescue as Moyes makes last ditch £4m bid for Smith in Jan!

These are the headlines we could be reading in the new year  :pow:

Well Moyes was talking about loan signings so if we are able to keep our best strikers in January, sending Smith on loan there would make sense for everyone.  He wouldn't get many games here if everyone was fit and if he did well at Everton, it would increase his price.

Well Moyes was talking about loan signings so if we are able to keep our best strikers in January, sending Smith on loan there would make sense for everyone.  He wouldn't get many games here if everyone was fit and if he did well at Everton, it would increase his price.

Nice plan but I think I've spotted a flaw.

I'm thinking more of a straight swap for Arteta.

... okay then, Baines.

for all Kinnear's fake machismo he's a f***ing arse licker of the highest order

:doh:

No fan of Kinnear, but don't see this as any different to the KK guide to motivating your players/making them feel wanted.

What the f*** do you expect him to say if he's asked about Smith?

Precisely. Not a great deal of difference between what Kinnear has said there, and Keegan said here...

"I definitely think there's a lot more to come from Alan," Keegan said. "He knows that and we know that and that's what we're working to do. He's got a lot of desire.

"If he didn't have any desire I'd say you're wasting your time. Desire and hard work usually means you can turn it around. I've known lots of players turn themselves around, I know Alan will."

The former Leeds and Manchester United player has failed to score a senior goal for the club in 37 appearances since leaving Old Trafford a year ago but Keegan is convinced he can rehabilitate the one-time England international.

"I'm not going to try and tell this crowd what to do," Keegan said. "It's a very knowledgeable crowd. They're the first to cheer if a player scores a goal and sometimes they show their feelings.

"They've got every right to do that, they pay their money. Thirty-one thousand here for a friendly game delayed for two hours is tremendous. There's a lot of good things."

As for suggestions Smith could still be on the move to Merseyside, Keegan said: "Alan Smith is a Newcastle player and that's it. He may not always be the best player on the pitch but no one will try harder."

Obviously though, Keegan is just trying to raise a player's confidence, while Kinnear means he wants to start him centre-forward week-in week-out if you read some of the drivel on here.

Difference is we trusted Keegan. That's what it boils down to.

So did you think when you saw those quotes, "Yes, you're right. Smith will get us 10 goals this season". ;)

• 1 month later...

Alan Smith starts bid to rebuild NUFC career

Jan 20 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

ALAN SMITH will start to rebuild his shattered Newcastle United career in today’s behind-closed-doors friendly with Carlisle United.

The former Manchester United striker has been out since August when he suffered an Achilles injury during pre-season. He last made an appearance against Valencia in the 2-1 friendly win at St James’s Park.

Smith has not appeared for United in the first team this season.

The Chronicle revealed on January 11 that Smith was aiming to make his comeback to the first team for United in next Wednesday’s trip to Manchester City. Should he get through today’s match with Carlisle unscathed, he is likely to be available to Joe Kinnear on the bench at Eastlands.

Kinnear told the Chronicle today: “We hope to give Smithy some time on the pitch today.

“He’s been out of action for a long time and he is the only player who hasn’t been available to me.

“It’s good for him to get back out there and get some action.

“He’s been putting in a lot of hard work behind the scenes and been trying to get back to fitness.”

Kinnear will try to get 90 minutes out of Joey Barton, who made his comeback at Ewood Park on Saturday, while Steven Taylor is likely to get a run out after missing the matches against Hull City in the FA Cup and Blackburn with a calf injury.

Meanwhile, the Toon boss will run the rule over Danish international winger Peter Lovenkrands in today’s behind-closed-doors friendly.

Kinnear says he will make a decision based on his performance and fitness levels on whether to hand him a deal until the end of the season.

Kinnear is also set to look at several youngsters in the clash with the Cumbrians, with 18-year-old Andras Gosztonyi, a midfielder from MTK Budapest, 19-year-old Norwegian left-back Per Egil Flo of Sogndal and 19-year-old centre-back Even Hovland, also from Sogndal, all involved.

Finnish left-back Jukka Raitala, a 20-year-old from HJK Helsinki, may also take part.

We can only hope he comes back much, much better than he was before.

How depressing.

Would actually rather have him in the side than Butt.

You're forgetting just how bad he was. You really are.

How depressing.

Im not, he just has one advantage over Butt- he can run.

How depressing.

Smith is much more reckless in the tackle than Butt and that says something. Butt at least has the odd attempt at goal and hits the target.

Butt may be terrible, but Smith is infinitely worse. I was never that keen on Butt being the captain but the fact that Alan Smith once led the team out is a joke.

How depressing.

Smith is much more reckless in the tackle than Butt and that says something. Butt at least has the odd attempt at goal and hits the target.

Butt may be terrible, but Smith is infinitely worse. I was never that keen on Butt being the captain but the fact that Alan Smith once led the team out is a joke.

Btw, what a depressing choice, Butt or Smith.

Im hoping Smith plays up front every game, and I reckon he could still turn out to be a decent target man, er hem start your insults.....

I just remember watching him upfront for leeds and man utd and he was useful, ever since they started switching him between midfield and striker hes been gash, ld just like to see him play up front for 10 games, sub or starting before we off load him. Thats all. I mean weve given ameobi more chance than that....