West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Carroll didn't want to go to West Ham, I can't see him being interested in Villa. Lambert may improve them, but Villa at this moment in time just don't appear to be attractive club to join for any young player with international hopes. Both them and Sunderland seem to be the league's "going nowhere" clubs: enough to stay up but little else to offer.

Villa's a step down from West Ham  IMO The only people who think Villa are "big" and "attractive" are the Birmingham local media and Stan Collymore (and even he's not sure)

Nah.

Guest firetotheworks

If Carroll didn't want to go to West Ham, I can't see him being interested in Villa. Lambert may improve them, but Villa at this moment in time just don't appear to be attractive club to join for any young player with international hopes. Both them and Sunderland seem to be the league's "going nowhere" clubs: enough to stay up but little else to offer.

Villa's a step down from West Ham  IMO The only people who think Villa are "big" and "attractive" are the Birmingham local media and Stan Collymore (and even he's not sure)

Pfft. No chance.

Guest BooBoo

Villa are now just a 2004-2007 era NUFC. Paddling along to absolutely no effect and of zero interest to anyone other than their own supporters.

Villa are now just a 2004-2007 era NUFC. Paddling along to absolutely no effect and of zero interest to anyone other than their own supporters.

I can't believe how many youngsters make up their matchday squads these days. I know they've got a canny academy but you can't imagine they're all much kop.

Villa could quite easily turn it around with 2 or 3 vaguely ambitious signings.  Well top 10 anyway.  If there are money issues between Liverpool and Newcastle that prove too prohibitive then I can't see Carroll wanting to sit on the bench for another 6 months.  Villa would probably be about as good as he could do in that case.

I can't believe how many youngsters make up their matchday squads these days. I know they've got a canny academy but you can't imagine they're all much kop.

We had some shocking academy players on the bench in the period Otter mentioned.

Wouldn't be surprised if they go down this year.

We had some shocking academy players on the bench in the period Otter mentioned.

Wouldn't be surprised if they go down this year.

They had two bairns at fullback at the weekened. It's little surprise though when the senior options are Warnock and Hutton.

Warnock and Hutton = Carr and Babayaro

Guest BooBoo

Matty Patinson, Alan O'Brien, David Edgar, Paul Huntington, Chops, Peter Ramage.

:scared:

Delighted that none of that lot would have a hope in hell of getting in our current team.

I rate Lambert fairly highly so can't see them being as far down as they were last year.  Could do with a few players in though, I'd be a bit concerned about Lerner not putting much money in if I was a Villa fan, understandable though it is considering some of the pure bilge signings he sanctioned under O'Neill.

Matty Patinson, Alan O'Brien, David Edgar, Paul Huntington, Chops, Peter Ramage.

Delighted that none of that lot would have a hope in hell of getting in our current team.

None of that lot would get a game for our second string.

Guest BooBoo

Out of all those, I liked David Edgar (maybe because of the goal he scored against Man U).

Even that was deflected. :lol:

His sending off at Villa as we went down summed him up.

Out of all those, I liked David Edgar (maybe because of the goal he scored against Man U).

Even that was deflected. :lol:

His sending off at Villa as we went down summed him up.

Indeed but Roeder's reaction to the goal was brilliant.

Those players did do alright to an extent imo, certainly meant we were able to field a starting 11 for one thing :laugh:

Funnier because there was a time that Huntington was tipped for big things, Chopra was the second coming, Pattison was tipped as the next Gazza, O'Brien was a classic old fashioned hit and run, tons of pace, crossing winger and Ramage and Edgar had potential to be solid squad players. Rose tinted glasses are a belter, maybe we will be saying the same in six years time about Ameobi, Vuckic, Abeid, Bigi, Ferguson, Tavs etc.. 

Funnier because there was a time that Huntington was tipped for big things, Chopra was the second coming, Pattison was tipped as the next Gazza, O'Brien was a classic old fashioned hit and run, tons of pace, crossing winger and Ramage and Edgar had potential to be solid squad players. Rose tinted glasses are a belter, maybe we will be saying the same in six years time about Ameobi, Vuckic, Abeid, Bigi, Ferguson, Tavs etc.. 

yep, i saw Huntington play for Stockport the other year...wow...

Tbh apart from Chopra who scored goals for fun at all levels apart from first team, non of the above were really tripped for anything. Pattison was certainly never tipped as the next Gazza ffs, everyone thought he was shite. :lol:

I can see Tavernier outperforming Simpson mind  :lol:

I think the current youngsters are better than the Chopra-era ones.  Pattison, Ramage and Edgar were always deeply average.

Deeply average? Only posters like you thought they were average, like. The rest of us knew they were basically crap.