West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ben Arfa on the Right is good, meaning we need 1 winger on the left (first 11-wise at least) which would be a handy signing even if we didnt get Carroll anyway. Cal Mac? ;)

HBA on the right doesn't put crosses in. TBF, he doesn't do it much on the left, he's not the type of player to be looking to whip a cross in, he likes to take on his man and either put a through ball in and have a shot.

If we are playing 2 wingers though, where would you stick him? He is more beneficial than a winger in many ways! I'd rather have HBA on the wing than Adam Johnson and Ryan Jarvis...

Well aye, I think most sane people would rather have HBA on the wing than a lad who plays up front for York City.

You also need very disciplined and technical players in defence, because Carroll is a big target and defenders tend to take the easy way out and lump it to him - even if it isn't part of the game plan. Actually, we probably have that. Only doubt is the manager.

You also need very disciplined and technical players in defence, because Carroll is a big target and defenders tend to take the easy way out and lump it to him - even if it isn't part of the game plan. Actually, we probably have that. Only doubt is the manager.

Excellent point. Even Liverpool found themselves resorting to it when Dalglish took him there. It is his major asset after all, it's too tempting not to use it.

Excellent point. Even Liverpool found themselves resorting to it when Dalglish took him there. It is his major asset after all, it's too tempting not to use it.

And we had Williamson and Simpson. TBH, I'm not sure many teams are capable of sticking to passing out of defence consistently when Carroll is on the pitch. It's not Carroll's fault, but it's the effect he has on other players. And it's very difficult for the manager to override that.

Ben Arfa on the Right is good, meaning we need 1 winger on the left (first 11-wise at least) which would be a handy signing even if we didnt get Carroll anyway. Cal Mac? ;)

HBA on the right doesn't put crosses in. TBF, he doesn't do it much on the left, he's not the type of player to be looking to whip a cross in, he likes to take on his man and either put a through ball in and have a shot.

If we are playing 2 wingers though, where would you stick him? He is more beneficial than a winger in many ways! I'd rather have HBA on the wing than Adam Johnson and Ryan Jarvis...

Dunno tbh. With 2 wide men who can whip a ball in and have the stamina to get back to help out their FBs at the first sign of a threat, 2 CMs with enough stamina to probs cope with playing against a 3 man midfield that only leaves HBA as the guy to try and get onto AC's flick ons.

Not strictly true. He likes to stand up a cross with his left, Cisse's first against Liverpool being the example that springs to mind.

I agree though, he normally goes for the through ball or shot, which is fine, we just need a proper winger to compliment him on the left.

Carroll (a player of his ilk, he's still too expensive for us) and Gouffran/Cisse could be a very interesting partnership. I quite liked how we played on Sunday (first half), 4-4-2 when attacking but Gouffran dropped in to make a 4-5-1 when defending. It works well when there's some form of outlet, whether we have the midfield is another matter.

Guest hobshobs

I'd have him back in a heartbeat for a decent price. Money can't buy you passion for the club and for the city. It's something football lacks nowdays.

If he had that much passion he wouldn't have left at the first opportunity.

We still don't really know the full story of him leaving. If your employer wants you to f*** off you can't really stick around can you?

What a load of tosh man. Carroll knew about Liverpool's interest so demanded a pay-rise even though he'd only recently signed a new contract and we rightly told him to p*ss off. True loyalty to us that is.

Thing is we wouldn't have told him to p*ss off if hadn't been a crazy £35 million. We were guilty of offering a real promising youngster a p*ss poor contract improvement and then holding him to it when any other youngster in his league at any other club would have been on a hell of a lot more. NUFC knew exactly what they were doing with Carroll.

At least Carroll was committed when he was on the pitch and gave everything all the time. Given was guilty of pissing off for £££££'s, Shola and Harper happy to sit around and take healthy money for very little return for many years.

Amazing how different fans have different opinions of different situations or in your case have access to the facts. Demanded a pay rise did he. You make it sound like he said give me that amount or I'm off.

More likely, it was a case of, I don't want to leave, but it's a chance for me to financially be set for life. I'd love to stay here if we can reach an agreement closer to what other clubs value me at. That is much nearer the truth.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat for a decent price. Money can't buy you passion for the club and for the city. It's something football lacks nowdays.

We still don't really know the full story of him leaving. If your employer wants you to f*** off you can't really stick around can you?

What a load of tosh man. Carroll knew about Liverpool's interest so demanded a pay-rise even though he'd only recently signed a new contract and we rightly told him to p*ss off. True loyalty to us that is.

Thing is we wouldn't have told him to p*ss off if hadn't been a crazy £35 million. We were guilty of offering a real promising youngster a p*ss poor contract improvement and then holding him to it when any other youngster in his league at any other club would have been on a hell of a lot more. NUFC knew exactly what they were doing with Carroll.

At least Carroll was committed when he was on the pitch and gave everything all the time. Given was guilty of pissing off for £££££'s, Shola and Harper happy to sit around and take healthy money for very little return for many years.

Amazing how different fans have different opinions of different situations or in your case have access to the facts. Demanded a pay rise did he. You make it sound like he said give me that amount or I'm off.

More likely, it was a case of, I don't want to leave, but it's a chance for me to financially be set for life. I'd love to stay here if we can reach an agreement closer to what other clubs value me at. That is much nearer the truth.

;D

You're right, Shay was only here for 12 years like. Not like Carroll who made 80 appearances the vast majority over 2 and a bit seasons.

I agree that a lot of people pass off what they believe as fact. Ironic that you speculate about the boards activities and book end your argument with your own speculation as to what Carroll's  thought processes were mind. 

We still don't really know the full story of him leaving. If your employer wants you to fuck off you can't really stick around can you?

What a load of tosh man. Carroll knew about Liverpool's interest so demanded a pay-rise even though he'd only recently signed a new contract and we rightly told him to piss off. True loyalty to us that is.

Yeah, because you know exactly what happened.

Guest hobshobs

;D

You're right, Shay was only here for 12 years like. Not like Carroll who made 80 appearances the vast majority over 2 and a bit seasons.

I agree that a lot of people pass off what they believe as fact. Ironic that you speculate about the boards activities and book end your argument with your own speculation as to what Carroll's  thought processes were mind. 

The point you are totally missing is that Given owed us more than Carroll did 'cause as you say he earned from us for 12 years. Then what did he do, up and away when we were heading out the Premier. Good move. Loyal eh! Actually been a reserve keeper since he left hear anyway but that's for another day.

To clarify, I'm not actually speculating on Carroll's thought processes. Read on and learn:

George Caulkin: "Carroll was not agitating to leave. He wasn't unsettled. And, yes, the transfer request was a mechanism used by NUFC. But... he signed it."

Harry Redknapp: "I had a good laugh watching the interview from Newcastle. One of the most amusing things I'd seen. How hard Newcastle had fought to keep him and pulled out all the stops and they had battled it all the way, even when he put in a transfer request. Every time these clubs sell a player they seem to have to get the player to put in a transfer request to make it look like they did not want to sell him. He is a good prospect the boy, but I think they will be quite happy with the business they have done."

Andy Carroll: "I was talking to the gaffer about a new contract. As soon as the offer of £30 million came in he told me they are now not going to give me a contract. I asked why and he said his hands were tied, it wasn’t up to him. Then a £35 million bid got accepted. The owner then made it clear to me that I was not wanted at the club and I was allowed to talk to Liverpool, saying that his helicopter is waiting for me. Being shown I’m not wanted I said I will talk to them. Then suddenly the bid was rejected. Derek asked me to hand in a transfer request. I was pushed into a corner and had no choice. I wasn’t wanted by them. They made it clear they wanted the money. I didn’t want to leave. I’m gutted that I wasn’t wanted at my home team. The players, staff and fans were fantastic. Make sure they know I didn’t want to leave."

Reckon the regime probably still want him back to placate fans/keep money coming in, but Liverpool won't sell back to the sellers at a £20m loss :lol:

Doubt they'll be willing to cough up another £15m, anyway. Not on one player with the wages he'll expect/want.

He's probably better suited for the horrible football we play than Cisse, I'll give him that.