West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would be pretty happy if we spent £20m on Lukaku, does that make me thick? :blush:

Nope. I'd do it too. Lukaku is after this season worth £20m in my opinion. Still a big big risk.

I would be pretty happy if we spent £20m on Lukaku, does that make me thick? :blush:

Nah i would be too :lol: but it doesn't make a lot of financial sense IMO.

I personally wouldn't pay 20m for Benteke either, i'm loathe to wanting to spend big money on strikers based on one season.

Sad that some people don't think Carroll is a genuinely good player. He would improve our attacking potency ten fold irrespective of who the manager is.

It's not sad it's fucking tragic. Excuse my language.

Sad that some people don't think Carroll is a genuinely good player. He would improve our attacking potency ten fold irrespective of who the manager is.

If he was that good why didn't he succeed at Liverpool? It's not like they were overloaded with strikers until they bought Sturridge this season.

He wasn't given the chance to as far as I see. Toward the end of last season, he looked as if he was regaining some form, then they offed Dogleash.

Guest bimpy474

You're not thick for that no.

It's not sad it's fucking tragic. Excuse my language.

I aint having that. Reported.

Well considering all the times you've defended us penny-pinching when it comes to players...

http://i.imgur.com/6OSXT3H.png

Well considering all the times you've defended us penny-pinching when it comes to players...

http://i.imgur.com/6OSXT3H.png

:lol:

The argument doesn't make sense, but I enjoy the face.

Considering you've argued on many occasions that we can't possibly afford to spend a penny more than our own valuation on any proposed target because it would likely cause the club to go into near-instant administration and rocket down the leagues, saying you'd be pretty happy to spend £20m on anyone is pretty thick, yeah.

Considering you've argued on many occasions that we can't possibly afford to spend a penny more than our own valuation on any proposed target because it would likely cause the club to go into near-instant administration and rocket down the leagues, saying you'd be pretty happy to spend £20m on anyone is pretty thick, yeah.

Eh? Are you serious?

I'm happy for us to get good deals on reasonably-priced players, that doesn't contradict being happy to spend good money on someone class (if we are/were able).

That stuff about instant administration is absolute bollocks and you know it. It's a bit early to be on the drink.

Nah i would be too :lol: but it doesn't make a lot of financial sense IMO.

I personally wouldn't pay 20m for Benteke either, i'm loathe to wanting to spend big money on strikers based on one season.

Carroll being case and point, good player but never worth the £35m price tag that weighed him down so much. 1 season doesn't make a legend.

Eh? Are you serious?

I'm happy for us to get good deals on reasonably-priced players, that doesn't contradict being happy to spend good money on someone class (if we are/were able).

That stuff about instant administration is absolute bollocks and you know it. It's a bit early to be on the drink.

I may be wrong but by the end of the summer I seem to remember you said that maintaining our principles and showing that we weren't a soft touch was more important than actually buying the players we needed. You said that we couldn't afford to pay the going rate for known players. How can that opinion possibly sit alongside being happy with spending £20m on a single player, and all the associated costs and implications?

Eh? Are you serious?

I may be wrong but by the end of the summer I seem to remember you said that maintaining our principles and showing that we weren't a soft touch was more important than actually buying the players we needed. You said that we couldn't afford to pay the going rate for known players. How can that opinion possibly sit alongside being happy with spending £20m on a single player, and all the associated costs and implications?

Why do you always make those small twists on other peoples opinions to suit your own?

I don´t think he has ever said the club cannot pay the going rate for players, just that the club won´t spend more than they rate the player at, which is stating a fact, opposed to wanting the club to spend X amount of money on a good players, which is a wish.

Eh? Are you serious?

Why do you always make those small twists on other peoples opinions to suit your own?

I don´t think he has ever said the club cannot pay the going rate for players, just that the club won´t spend more than they rate the player at, which is stating a fact, opposed to wanting the club to spend X amount of money on a good players, which is a wish.

I would say it's more that Ian twists his own opinion so that he rarely has cause to blame anyone for anything, which I find a bit odd. As I said, I might be wrong but I clearly remember having this debate about our transfer policy with him in the summer. It's perfectly acceptable to change your opinion on something, of course. If people were willing to do it more often then this forum would probably be a better place.

Anyway, he asked the question in the first place, I merely answered it. I think it's a bit daft to go on about principles then say that you'd like to see us break our transfer record on a player that will be very much in demand this summer. He asked if anyone thought that was thick. Well yeah, I do. Sorry.

Oh and I'll openly admit to being overly facetious about the administration thing. But that's how it felt in the summer when we bought ONE player, and generally made to feel like one of the smallest, most financially insecure clubs in the league. Even Llambias has admitted they fucked that up.

Yeah that fake transfer account called "Eric" had a massive opinion on our transfer policy in the summer, strangley the user has never appeared again.  Even stranger when we were spending (for us) decent wedge in January.